Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

35 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:
  10 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

There are a bunch of players in college that have the same range Young does. There are not a lot of coaches that allow a player to take as many bad shots as Young does. There’s a reason that team was an absolute joke the second half of the year and got bounced first round of the tournament. Turns out letting a player throw shots up from all over the court inefficiently isn’t a great way to win games. 

I hope we get one of those players with range just like Young and that can quickly pull up off the dribble just like he does.

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I don’t think you have watched him play at all. 

I followed the hype on Young as the season progressed but didn't see him actually play until this year after his numbers were dropping. I watched a few games and in one of them he hit 4 straight 3's and a 2 on consecutive plays in about 3 minutes, 14 very quick points to put his team back in the game. There is a lot more to him than just a short unathletic kid that jacks up bad shots from all over the court and doesn't play D (6th in steals in the big 12).  One of the things that both pro-Young and anti-Young people overlook is that he DOES go to the basket a lot and he makes almost 87% of his free throws. It was amazing to see him go to the hole through the bigs and either score or get fouled.

For those interested here is a great breakdown of everything he did in college. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1.html

I'm glad to see that our management is at least doing their due diligence and I will put my trust in them as to if he is the BPA when we pick. 

I agree and I do think this this management is not buying into just hype but is doing research. Eventually a decision will have to be made and that player will come with pluses and minuses and things they have to work on.  At pick #6 we can get a player who improves us but it will come with risks.  I still believe, if the medical staff eliminates the red flags, Michael Porter Jr, will be the BPA, by far.

12 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I agree and I do think this this management is not buying into just hype but is doing research. Eventually a decision will have to be made and that player will come with pluses and minuses and things they have to work on.  At pick #6 we can get a player who improves us but it will come with risks.  I still believe, if the medical staff eliminates the red flags, Michael Porter Jr, will be the BPA, by far.

I really hope not. If our medical staff are experts about back injuries and surgeries they will tell management to pass without even needing to check him out. Besides, other than being able to dominate high school children that he was bigger than, what has he really shown that makes him worth the 6th pick?

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So there's a good article on cleaning the glass that breaks down Trae's shooting. 

Basically the interesting part is he shot 27 for 102 on 30 foot threes (26%) which is a stupid amount of unnecessary misses that killed his shooting percentages. 

So, basically I think people who give Trae unlimited range credit are being hit with confirmation bias (remembering the few makes) because 26% isnt high enough to get credit for that range. 

But he's probably closer to a 38% shooter if he didn't take bad shots. 

But is 38% what makes Trae special to his supporters? Or is it the fake threat of 35 foot threes? 

I told you months ago his 36% would be better sans I'll advised shots! What makes him great is his THREAT from three that opens up driving lanes for his elite passing. 

3 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I told you months ago his 36% would be better sans I'll advised shots! What makes him great is his THREAT from three that opens up driving lanes for his elite passing. 

But isn't that something a lot of people have? Is 26% much of a threat?

How much better is he going to be than Fred VanVleet given his 41% three point shooting?

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

How much better is he going to be than Fred VanVleet given his 41% three point shooting?

Can you dig up some stats on Young's driving efficiency and percentage of times he gets fouled? He's an excellent FT shooter.

6 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I really hope not. If our medical staff are experts about back injuries and surgeries they will tell management to pass without even needing to check him out. Besides, other than being to dominate high school children that he was bigger than what has he really shown that makes him worth the 6th pick?

Proof is pretty easy to find  and here is This latest article by Jay Bilas affirming what virtually every other analyst who evaluates his game has said (top 3 pick if healthy) AND many of the high school "children" he dominated are in the NBA or soon to be drafted into the NBA.  Yes, medical is the concern and may be the reason we pass, but, if rumors are accurate, Clippers willing to take that risk.  Do they know something?  I reiterate the thought someone else on this site said (Not about Porter but about Young), I would hate to pass him up and watch him turn into a star player.  My hope is we do our due diligence on him.   

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

how's fleet as a primary option and 3s off the dribble and how is his passing?

Just now, Originalticketholder said:

Proof is pretty easy to find  and here is This latest article by Jay Bilas affirming what virtually every other analyst who evaluates his game has said (top 3 pick if healthy) AND many of the high school "children" he dominated are in the NBA or soon to be drafted into the NBA.  Yes, medical is the concern and may be the reason we pass, but, if rumors are accurate, Clippers willing to take that risk.  Do they know something?  I reiterate the thought someone else on this site said (Not about Porter but about Young), I would hate to pass him up and watch him turn into a star player.  My hope is we do our due diligence on him.   

Here's the article

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/jay-bilas-picks-the-most-interesting-prospect-in-the-2018-nba-draft

7 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

With the Clips being really high on him we can probably get #12 & #13 plus sweetener for him. By doubling our chance of getting a great player and maybe picking up a future pick I'd gladly do that. SGA and Robert Williams plus grab Carter, Okobo, or Brunson and a shooter in the 2nd would not be a bad draft.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Can you dig up some stats on Young's driving efficiency and percentage of times he gets fouled? He's an excellent FT shooter.

Don't really have the ft numbers. I feel like a lot of his fts came from drawing perimeter fouls from guys trying to be physical with him. Not a crazy amount but probably proportionally with his shot distribution (32.7% at rim)