Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

If we fall in the draft, I think he's the best bet tbh. His injury is being wildly overrated here, and so is his performance in two games. He's a guy who can score and we sorely need that. Except for Simmons, nobody on the squad can get their own shot. 

But can you really take another power forward? 

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I guess you would know based on your experience googling discektomy 

at least it's not based on making stuff up. A radiculopathy? Did you actually see his medicals?

7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

at least it's not based on making stuff up. A radiculopathy? Did you actually see his medicals?

When an injury is described as a leg or hip injury but turns out to be a ruptured disk that's a tell tale sign of lumbar radiculopathy.  

Medicals are important.  I have no clue how severe his future outlook is.  But I was able to observe a discektomy and disc replacement and monitor rehabilitation schedules for dozens of discectomys. 

He could be fine. He could be fine but require disk replacement later which could be like when he's 42 or something. He could be limited.  He could have a short career.  He could have degenerative disc disease. He could have spinal stenosis.  I don't know.  

There's not a huge population of 19 year old world class athletes having back surgery and world class medical care at their beck and call so we don't have a great sample to base expectations off of. 

The main point though is it's not a trivial injury.  

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

When an injury is described as a leg or hip injury but turns out to be a ruptured disk that's a tell tale sign of lumbar radiculopathy.  

Medicals are important.  I have no clue how severe his future outlook is.  But I was able to observe a discektomy and disc replacement and monitor rehabilitation schedules for dozens of discectomys. 

He could be fine. He could be fine but require disk replacement later which could be like when he's 42 or something. He could be limited.  He could have a short career.  He could have degenerative disc disease. He could have spinal stenosis.  I don't know.  

There's not a huge population of 19 year old world class athletes having back surgery and world class medical care at their beck and call so we don't have a great sample to base expectations off of. 

The main point though is it's not a trivial injury.  

No you're just making it up. Martin didn't even know what it was, and he thought it would be a day to day thing. You have absolutely NO IDEA that it was a radiculopathy. Nothing has been reported as such either. In fact: 

For nearly two years in high school and on the AAU circuit, Porter had played through a back injury suffered during a collision on a dunk attempt two summers ago. He planned to play through his freshman year of college and manage the injury after the season, but in the weeks leading up to MU’s Nov. 10 opener against Iowa State, the pain worsened, he later said. Porter played in the Tigers’ three exhibition games but shortly before tipoff against the Cyclones he told coach Cuonzo Martin he couldn’t play because of the pain.

http://www.journalreview.com/sports/national/article_50999c30-b688-58eb-90c6-d278a32504b5.html

I'm going to go ahead and make a reasonable conclusion that because he played with it for TWO YEARS that it's not nearly as serious as you want us to believe. I don't really care how many observations you've sat in for the simple fact that you haven't observed Porter Jr. 

6 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

No you're just making it up. Martin didn't even know what it was, and he thought it would be a day to day thing. You have absolutely NO IDEA that it was a radiculopathy. Nothing has been reported as such either. In fact: 

http://www.journalreview.com/sports/national/article_50999c30-b688-58eb-90c6-d278a32504b5.html

I'm going to go ahead and make a reasonable conclusion that because he played with it for TWO YEARS that it's not nearly as serious as you want us to believe. I don't really care how many observations you've sat in for the simple fact that you haven't observed Porter Jr. 

It's a two way street.  You can't say it's not serious

I got a question for y’all. What number would Zion Williamson be picked in the draft this year if he was able to enter?  Also how bad will the tankathon be next year if he shows his type of play shows up at duke?

2 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I got a question for y’all. What number would Zion Williamson be picked in the draft this year if he was able to enter?  Also how bad will the tankathon be next year if he shows his type of play shows up at duke?

Some draft guy lately said that nobody picked next year would go top 4 this year but that's just one guy and things change so who knows.  

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

It's a two way street.  You can't say it's not serious

In the grand scheme of things? There have been much, much worse injuries to prospects. DSJ tore both his ACLs. Harry Giles had arthroscopic surgeries on both knees. Embiid had foot AND back problems before being drafted. Oden too. Compared to these injuries, no I don't think it's that serious. Yes it's a back injury but it's not a serious back injury in the hierarchy of all back injuries. 

If Jalen Brunson is on the board at our early 2nd round pick he's a must draft for me. Ayton, Brunson, Vince Edwards is a great draft.

Although I quite like the idea of drafting a euro to stash for a year or two in the second. Georgios Kalaitzakis is a guy I like. Super raw but a long combo guard who can shoot the three and has good vision.