Jump to content
?4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

magicdoc1    176
1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

What? 

I am asking. If we can offer a 5 year instead. Longer contract as opposed to let him test the market first for the 4 year max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,782
2 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I am asking. If we can offer a 5 year instead. Longer contract as opposed to let him test the market first for the 4 year max.

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy13    166
52 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Just so we're all on the same page, when we say "Gordon max" we're talking about 4 years 108.56ish million with a yearly breakdown of:

25.25
26.51
27.77
29.03

Do you believe any other team would offer that for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,782
5 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Do you believe any other team would offer that for him?

Phoenix says they're going to.  I don't know.  

I guess i should clarify. I don't think we should offer Gordon that max right out of the gate. But i think we should offer him something like 4/90 and just match whatever offer he gets from another team if they happen to offer that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicfan1987    215
9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Phoenix says they're going to.  I don't know.  

I guess i should clarify. I don't think we should offer Gordon that max right out of the gate. But i think we should offer him something like 4/90 and just match whatever offer he gets from another team if they happen to offer that.  

that's be great, could we front load that contract or is that only for unrestricted players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,782
Just now, Magicfan1987 said:

that's be great, could we front load that contract or is that only for unrestricted players?

We could

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
magicdoc1    176
2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes. 

Then I think the advantage we have is that extra year we can offer. I am sure he will rather secure a 5 year at around 22 mills per year contract instead of the 4 and 100 He can get with another team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmmagicfan    29
2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Phoenix says they're going to.  I don't know.  

I guess i should clarify. I don't think we should offer Gordon that max right out of the gate. But i think we should offer him something like 4/90 and just match whatever offer he gets from another team if they happen to offer that.  

I'm pretty sure Phoenix doesn't have available cap space to offer that. As far as I can tell, even if they renounce Elfrid Payton, they would still only have about $13.2M first year salary to offer. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2018/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mack1085    43
2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm pretty sure Phoenix doesn't have available cap space to offer that. As far as I can tell, even if they renounce Elfrid Payton, they would still only have about $13.2M first year salary to offer. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2018/

 

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but RealGM has a view of projected cap space this summer. By their estimation, only Atlanta, Indiana, and LAL will have the space to offer AG a max deal. Now I didn't look into their assumptions, so if you prefer to look at the list of max cap space available, the number of teams increases to 10.

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/249237/Projected-2018-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,782
13 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm pretty sure Phoenix doesn't have available cap space to offer that. As far as I can tell, even if they renounce Elfrid Payton, they would still only have about $13.2M first year salary to offer. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2018/

They have quite a few non-guaranteed guys and only 73 million on the books for next year.  

 

What I didn't account for, though, is the draft pick cap holds.  That's another 13 million.  So yeah, going to be tough. 

 

I was just going off this though https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018/2/21/17036834/report-phoenix-suns-among-three-teams-expected-pursue-aaron-gordon-in-free-agency-nba-dallas-indiana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmmagicfan    29
2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

They have quite a few non-guaranteed guys and only 73 million on the books for next year.  

 

What I didn't account for, though, is the draft pick cap holds.  That's another 13 million.  So yeah, going to be tough. 

 

I was just going off this though https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018/2/21/17036834/report-phoenix-suns-among-three-teams-expected-pursue-aaron-gordon-in-free-agency-nba-dallas-indiana

I guess the biggest question is; if you renounce rights to someone to free up cap space for a run at Gordon (or any RFA), what happens if you don't get him. Can you go back and negotiate with a guy you renounced? Do you just lose the advantages of Bird rights, the extra year, and the higher raises/year; or are you barred from pursuing them at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×