Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

All i have to say is it's staggering how badly Hennigan managed our assets. He was a good evaluator of talent but a really bad GM. I think most people on this board saw Vucevic, Tobias and Fournier as great pieces that would be moved for the future. Never in my dreams did i imagine 2 of those guys would still be here. 

I even forgive him for screwing up the Tobias trade, it happens sometimes. The whole mess goes back to that Philly trade for Payton. He got screwed in that trade but bet his whole process on it. From that point on he just kept doubling down on his own mistake.

Having Elfrid on the team led to almost every bad decision he made starting with the Harris trade. Obviously this guy wanted his system to work with his players and tried to force it on Skiles. A good GM makes a mistake and then has the flexibility and guts to make a change. Look at Presti, he keeps making mistakes but then switches up and tries something else. Same with Morey in Houston.  Both are perfect examples of what Henny wouldn't do, because both general managers had a former Magic player.

And so our former players are involved in some of the biggest trades the last two seasons. And our highest picked player since Dwight is on Sportcenter every night, playing for another team. 

Totally agree about the EP part. Good post

9 minutes ago, My 5th Rebuild said:

I'd rather be the Clippers or Pistons then the Magic right now. Magic suck....

We do but there's hope. Drafting Young or Doncic would do wonders for our game

1 minute ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

We do but there's hope. Drafting Young or Doncic would do wonders for our game

I think if we get number 1 I'm taking Ayton as long as he actually likes to play basketball

1 minute ago, Payton4thewin said:

Kerr had a cushy job lined up paying him millions of dollars as a play by play guy. 

Would you throw away $15 million because you don't want the Tobias Harris trade on your name? 

Depends if you’re looking short term or long term. If you’re looking short term, you roll with the bad decision making and take the money. If you’re looking long term, you counter the bad decision making and save your career.

There was a pattern of bad decision making that emerged by the end of Henny’s time. I ultimately believe he was part of it, not a victim to it. Consequently, I think he’ll have a tough time ever getting another shot as a gm. 

Either way, as Lowe points out, the Magic are left with virtually nothing from the assets we traded away.

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Depends if you’re looking short term or long term. If you’re looking short term, you roll with the bad decision making and take the money. If you’re looking long term, you counter the bad decision making and save your career.

There was a pattern of bad decision making that emerged by the end of Henny’s time. I ultimately believe he was part of it, not a victim to it. Consequently, I think he’ll have a tough time ever getting another shot as a gm. 

Either way, as Lowe points out, the Magic are left with virtually nothing from the assets we traded away.

We had a situation where he maximized every single move he made.  Then skiles happened.  Then we started giving away players with a lack of patience.  

It wasn't until ownership lost patience that all this **** went down

1 minute ago, Payton4thewin said:

We had a situation where he maximized every single move he made.  Then skiles happened.  Then we started giving away players with a lack of patience.  

It wasn't until ownership lost patience that all this **** went down

True, he could have not made those trades, been fired, and we might now look like Philadelphia; Grateful for the long-term success from the GM we fired for short-term failure. I don't actually think that Henny was as bad as we make him out to be. He would still have been fired if he had stayed his course, but I think he just caved to the pressure he was getting, and that sent him home earlier.

On the other hand, I don't know that Victor Oladipo would be the player he has become without that year of playing with and watching how hard Russell Westbrook works in the off-season to get into shape.   

43 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

As to the be Detroit trade, I like what Lowe wrote. If the Clips couldn’t win with Paul, Griffin and Jordan, how can Detroit expect to win with Jackson, Griffin and Drummond?

You can’t really compare the East with the West. They are going to win in the East for sure.

I can see them competing with Cleveland and Boston. 

i dont think Detroit is done. They are trying to shop Jackson since Ish has been playing very well for them.  Lets see what happens in the next couple of days. 

Stan will love to have Fournier and Payton but I just dont see how we can take Jackson’s salary without any other compensation.  

Maybe a package of Jackson, Tolliver, Kennard and a future first for Fournier and DJ. 

26 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I think if we get number 1 I'm taking Ayton as long as he actually likes to play basketball

He's my #3 and wouldn't complain if we took him

I can see why the Pistons have decided to add Griffin to pair with Drummond, but how many would take the Pistons roster ahead of the teams currently in the top eight? 

I'll be honest I don't think I would take them ahead of any of the teams currently in the top eight. Even a team like the Heat without an all star are arguably a better team because they have a well rounded line up combined with a strong philosophy, style of play and culture. Same goes for the Pacers who have only one all star, they have a well rounded line up combined with a strong philosophy, style of play and culture.

The way I see it the Pistons will have a floor spacing problem based on their projected starting five. Maybe they can make some further moves to help, but it is going to be tough to see them push their way significantly up the eastern standings. And then factor in the cap situation with Jackson, Griffin and Drummond's hits over the next two seasons and they are going to be in a fairly tough position to make significant improvements to that roster. Maybe I'm wrong and this trio will have success, but personally I don't see them becoming a dominant force in the east.