Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2017 Watch the Playoffs Thread!

I don't see that as a valid perspective because it happens all the time IRL. Key executives and/or engineers, heck all regular working people, jump ship to their competition every single day for better pay, working conditions, perks, recognition, etc. and nobody takes it personally and thinks "ohhh I can't work there I hate those guys I'm supposed to beat them." Maybe what you say applies to entrepreneurs but KD is the employee, not owner of the team. The Thunder failed to capture what KD wanted (a championship) and so Durant made a decision to prioritize that.

You can't compare the two. Working for a **** company is not the same as being an athlete on a good team being up 3-1 on a team in the conference finals being a few good role players away, to joining that exact team that came back and beat you.

Just kinda soft to me.

Two totally different contexts.

You can't compare the two. Working for a **** company is not the same as being an athlete on a good team being up 3-1 on a team in the conference finals being a few good role players away, to joining that exact team that just came back and won.

Two totally different contexts.

Yea I can. People have different priorities and some organizations line up better with them than others. That doesn't make any of them "s***" companies, just different. The Thunder are more concerned about luxury tax (FACT) then winning it all. Obviously KD is not so money driven and thus joined a team that prioritizes winning.

Yea I can. People have different priorities and some organizations line up better with them than others. That doesn't make any of them "s***" companies, just different. The Thunder are more concerned about luxury tax (FACT) then winning it all. Obviously KD is not so money driven and thus joined a team that prioritizes winning.

Well your examples like working conditions and pay is what can differentiate between a good company or a **** one.

I don't think KD is money driven. I think KD's definition of greatness has to have a ring attached to it. I don't view greatness the same.

How is trading Serge Ibaka, a former DPOY, for Oladipo, who we collectively view as a slightly above average player (and still unproven at the time) and a late lottery rookie supposed to convince your superstar that you're building a championship team? They did similarly in 2011 but at a much greater magnitude when they moved Harden over a few pennies. KD probably understood the Thunder organization after 9 years playing with them and realized he may not get the winning accomplishments with his current team.

Just to throw another element into the KD discussion... It sure doesn't seem like KD enjoyed playing with Westbrook. Where does team chemistry and culture come into this discussion? Some of the teams that seem to maintain great chemistry and culture are SA, GS and Bos.

How is trading Serge Ibaka, a former DPOY, for Oladipo, who we collectively view as a slightly above average player (and still unproven at the time) and a late lottery rookie supposed to convince your superstar that you're building a championship team? They did similarly in 2011 but at a much greater magnitude when they moved Harden over a few pennies. KD probably understood the Thunder organization after 9 years playing with them and realized he may not get the winning accomplishments with his current team.

Maybe but Ibaka was on the decline. That's something we all can agree on. We saw it here and saw it in Toronto.

I think you can find a replacement for Ibaka or at least close to what he was going to give you currently. Maybe find someone younger and more fitting.

Yeah Harden deal was a mistake but despite all of that, KD and WB were up 3-1 on GS and I think he jumped on the easiest train to get to his definition of what success is. That's fine. That's how he determines success. Me? It wouldn't sit right. I'd want to have another shot at them knowing I was one game away. It wouldn't sit well with me leaving like that.

Well your examples like working conditions and pay is what can differentiate between a good company or a **** one.

I don't think KD is money driven. I think KD's definition of greatness has to have a ring attached to it. I don't view greatness the same.

No, not all companies are good fits for all people because not everyone values the same principles. If you like doing your own thing and being recognized for it then in your mind a good company is one that pays aggressively and maybe skimps out in other areas like corporate culture or team building. Conversely if you value the other the things then a good company is one that provides those even if it pays less. There is no unlimited funds for companies to implement every single thing unless you work at google or Apple or some other exclusive company.

Just to throw another element into the KD discussion... It sure doesn't seem like KD enjoyed playing with Westbrook. Where does team chemistry and culture come into this discussion? Some of the teams that seem to maintain great chemistry and culture are SA, GS and Bos.

I dunno. Culture plays a role but not too many liked playing with MJ either. We've already discussed Kobe briefly and how most hated playing with him but sure as hell didn't stop players from signing to play with him to get that chance to win a ring.

Boston? Rondo wasn't the poster child for great teammate either. His strength was what probably kept players alright with him, which was passing and defending.

Maybe but Ibaka was on the decline. That's something we all can agree on. We saw it here and saw it in Toronto.

I think you can find a replacement for Ibaka or at least close to what he was going to give you currently. Maybe find someone younger and more fitting.

Yeah Harden deal was a mistake but despite all of that, KD and WB were up 3-1 on GS and I think he jumped on the easiest train to get to his definition of what success is. That's fine. That's how he determines success. Me? It wouldn't sit right. I'd want to have another shot at them knowing I was one game away. It wouldn't sit well with me leaving like that.

Don't you see KD was never going to get the chance? They traded Ibaka before free agency. Do you seriously believe Oladipo and a rookie is going to help you get closer to beating a two time MVP with two all NBA players and a better supporting cast? They could've traded Ibaka for another proven vet who fits better and would bolster their chances of getting closer but they didn't. They went the opposite way.

No, not all companies are good fits for all people because not everyone values the same principles. If you like doing your own thing and being recognized for it then in your mind a good company is one that pays aggressively and maybe skimps out in other areas like corporate culture or team building. Conversely if you value the other the things then a good company is one that provides those even if it pays less. There is no unlimited funds for companies to implement every single thing unless you work at google or Apple or some other exclusive company.

Eh, I think we're going to far off topic here.

It's basketball. Most teams want to win. Most teams make decisions that don't work. Only one wins the ship. End of the day, it's KD's happiness that matters to KD, not what I think.

I'm just saying, personally, I would not feel right leaving a team, a community, despite the Harden deal, after being up 3-1 in the western conference finals to join that team.

Don't you see KD was never going to get the chance? They traded Ibaka before free agency. Do you seriously believe Oladipo and a rookie is going to help you get closer to beating a two time MVP with two all NBA players and a better supporting cast? They could've traded Ibaka for another proven vet who fits better and would bolster their chances of getting closer but they didn't. They went the opposite way.

I don't believe that. Look at what Kawhi did with the Spurs. I think WB and KD with Dipo would've made the western conference finals and who knows what other piece would've signed on? They got Taj Gibson who's a beast. Old but a beast. Plays no older than Ibaka does. I think I'd take Taj over Ibaka right now anyways just on mental toughness.

I don't see that as a valid perspective because it happens all the time IRL. Key executives and/or engineers, heck all regular working people, jump ship to their competition every single day for better pay, working conditions, perks, recognition, etc. and nobody takes it personally and thinks "ohhh I can't work there I hate those guys I'm supposed to beat them." Maybe what you say applies to entrepreneurs but KD is the employee, not owner of the team. The Thunder failed to capture what KD wanted (a championship) and so Durant made a decision to prioritize that.

It's not about Durant leaving. It's about where he left to. There's nothing analogous outside of the sports world. He's literally supposed to "beat them". That's the whole point.