Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Henny has been fired!

Everyone in team tank is saying we have blown our long term future because we won tonight and will likely pick 5th, instead of 4th, making it all but impossible to draft a good player.

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT

the entire point is we made it marginally less likely for success for zero long term value. For all we know we love player X more than any player in the draft, and we would have drafted him at 4 but he's still there at 5 so there's zero negative outcomes in that win. But we don't know the future. and if we love one player its significantly more preferable to only have 3 teams pass him up vs 4.

4.3% is nothing. but improving your odds at something by 4.3% over many different attempts might have drastically different results.

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT

the entire point is we made it marginally less likely for success for zero long term value. For all we know we love player X more than any player in the draft, and we would have drafted him at 4 but he's still there at 5 so there's zero negative outcomes in that win. But we don't know the future. and if we love one player its significantly more preferable to only have 3 teams pass him up vs 4.

4.3% is nothing. but improving your odds at something by 4.3% over many different attempts might have drastically different results.

That guy is a troll that posts the same "argument" over and over again. This is my first and final post about it

No, they are saying it was stupid because it decreases our odds to get a good player.

Of course it is possible still to get a good player at the 5th pick. The 5th pick might even become the best player in the draft.

It is just more likely to get a good player with a higher draft pick.

and you're counting on the guys picking 3rd and 4th not to realize the value of the guy you want at 5.

His philosophy relies on other teams being worse at evaluation than your team. that's not a good thing to bet on.

and you're counting on the guys picking 3rd and 4th not to realize the value of the guy you want at 5.

His philosophy relies on other teams being worse at evaluation than your team. that's not a good thing to bet on.

He's essentially against losing meaningless games but for losing in a winnable meaningful draft.

I'd stop banging my head man.

Confused by the Scott Perry ousting. Different mind. Different voice. Most experience out of everyone there. He would've done Cousins trade.

Marc J Spears

Don't understand this. Scott is widely respected w/ experience in Seattle, Detroit, great relationships, different voice/style from Hennigan

Sam Amick

As @MarcJSpearsESPN noted, Magic would have had DeMarcus if not for Hennigan's concerns. Scott wanted him, was confident he could connect.

Sam Amick

Ya not trading young guys for 1 year of cousins who would hate losing here was smart tho

John Denton‏ @JohnDenton555

Most accomplished GM candidate to @OrlandoMagic is Mitch Kupchak, who won 2 NBA titles as former GM of @Lakers.Unsure if he'll be considered

Woj

Two league executives with Orlando ties – Detroit assistant GM Pat Garrity and San Antonio assistant GM Brian Wright – are on a list of preliminary candidates to replace Hennigan, but the search is expected to be extensive, league sources said.

He's essentially against losing meaningless games but for losing in a winnable meaningful draft.

I'd stop banging my head man.

this is actually a cognitive bias that psychologists are studying called probability neglect. They put things into black and white scenarios in order to avoid risk. So in this case the congnitive bias is stating "you can draft a great player anywhere" to mitigate the risk "having a bad season, or more precisely, having a bad season then drafting a player early that might become a bust". It doesn't matter that it's provable that you're significantly more likely to have success drafting a great player early.

It's the same people who argue "I'd rather drive to X than fly because I'm afraid of dying in a plane accident". It doesn't matter that you're significantly more likely to die in a car accident, its a cognitive bias.

Or just hoping that your guy who seems to have less potential at 5 will develop better than who was picked 4 or 3. Which is possible, but there is a reason higher picks tend to be better.

He is also not understanding that the guys that are drafted low and become good often fall because they have a lot more question marks or possible weaknesses to their games than players drafted higher up. Yes, some will become good, but for every one that becomes good, there are a lot more players who had similar issues with their games that did not become good.

Meanwhile, it is not as common for a pick 1-3 to not at least become a starter level player, which is why busts are so derided.

this is actually a cognitive bias that psychologists are studying called probability neglect. They put things into black and white scenarios in order to avoid risk. So in this case the congnitive bias is stating "you can draft a great player anywhere" to mitigate the risk "having a bad season, or more precisely, having a bad season then drafting a player early that might become a bust". It doesn't matter that it's provable that you're significantly more likely to have success drafting a great player early.

It's the same people who argue "I'd rather drive to X than fly because I'm afraid of dying in a plane accident". It doesn't matter that you're significantly more likely to die in a car accident, its a cognitive bias.

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

I think here is a pretty good statistical analysis on why you generally want as high draft picks as possible.