Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Henny has been fired!

The culture stuff is just BS, the main reason why Henny failed this team was because he just couldn't build a team. He had a rough task for sure, but it's just obvious now that the Magic chose the wrong person to take on that task. He wasn't prepared or ready for it and now we're paying the price.

True but we still had the number 1 pick and we had it at the right time.

If I remember correctly all but 2 GMs when surveyed before the draft said they would take Howard first over Okafor...I think Howard may have been a gamble along the same lines as Lebron being a gamble.

• Upvote 1

That's fair. Should be noted that the few 2 (arguably 3) years were spent with a strategy to lose with the hopes of drafting a superstar. Obviously didn't work in our favor, and those years probably led to establishing a losing culture we have yet to turn around. While I still agree with the strategy, it is not at all foolproof and will fail if you don't actually land a star.

In the end we're all left here frustrated and with a losing team, so I understand where you're coming from

This is exactly why I -don't- agree with the strategy. The strategy is dependent upon too many unreliable factors that are outside of anybody's control, and if blind luck doesn't work out in your favor, you set your franchise back even further for even longer.

We would have been better off signing / trading for the Iguodala's and Harrison Barnes' of the NBA and taking our chances, over the philosophy we did implement.

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly all but 2 GMs when surveyed before the draft said they would take Howard first over Okafor...I think Howard may have been a gamble along the same lines as Lebron being a gamble.

I don't remember that, at all. Dwight Howard was considered nowhere near the lock that LeBron was, Okafor was considered to be more NBA ready, and was considered to be the smarter pick for us at the time. It was a gamble that Weisbrod ended up going with Howard, and a gamble that clearly paid off.

That said, Howard was also drafted into a far better situation than Okafor was, being drafted onto a team that had the core of a playoff team from the previous year (Francis, Mobley, and Kato from Houston), plus the additions of Turkoglu and Nelson. In fact, we probably would have been a playoff team that 1st year had we not made the horrible trade of Mobley for Christie.

This is exactly why I -don't- agree with the strategy. The strategy is dependent upon too many unreliable factors that are outside of anybody's control, and if blind luck doesn't work out in your favor, you set your franchise back even further for even longer.

We would have been better off signing / trading for the Iguodala's and Harrison Barnes' of the NBA and taking our chances, over the philosophy we did implement.

Yes, then we could have been mediocre instead of terrible. That's not the goal

At least we'd have something to build around.

We still do, and we have a top 5 pick. What's your point? If you really think building around Andre Iguodala is a good idea then you clearly don't know anything about basketball and should probably stop arguing the point

And being terrible is?

Of course not, but it could be argued that being perpetually mediocre is equally frustrating and neither is championship contender which should be the ultimate goal

We still do, and we have a top 5 pick. What's your point? If you really think building around Andre Iguodala is a good idea then you clearly don't know anything about basketball and should probably stop arguing the point

I never said build around -him-.

But we would have more talent on this roster, with better results, and as such, be more appealing to MORE talent to come in than we are right now.

I never said build around -him-.

But we would have more talent on this roster, with better results, and as such, be more appealing to MORE talent to come in than we are right now.

So who did you mean we'd be building around when you literally said, "At least we'd have something to build around", four posts back? Also, is Iggy actually any better than T. Ross at this point and moving forward?