Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

a third year player gets to spend 3 years in a professional program. there's a difference. it's not an equal difference. a third year 21 year old and a third year 23 year old aren't on the same development curve, but a 21 year old 3 year pro isn't the same as a 21 year old 0 year pro.

Understandable. I guess last year has scribbled up that curve so much that it's hard to 1. Remember what Gordon can do and 2. Gauge exactly where his curve is heading.

Oh yeah, crystal clear. So the over/under is Jimmy Butler who plays a completely different position, is that what you're saying? What does that look like in a guy that plays PF? I'd suspect there's better than a one in a million chance he becomes an all-star, if that's how we're defining considerable improvement

I never said considerable improvement so I'm not defining it. I gave Jimmy Butler as in example because it's popular example of a guy who made a huge jump later in his career to become all nba and an mvp candidate. Some on this board think Gordon can make a similar jump to at least all star level, and the odds are way against him. If he can be a 33% shooter from deep for the season, that would be the small step I talked about earlier. And even that seems far away.

All I know is if AG doesn't have this "considerably better" year, people need to start giving him legitimate criticism as he gets such a pass on here by most everyone.

He's uber athletic, age young, and has all the tools. Why wouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt for now?

All I know is if AG doesn't have this "considerably better" year, people need to start giving him legitimate criticism as he gets such a pass on here by most everyone.

That's not your call to make. Next year isn't make or break for AG like it is for EP

Very different. Place Gordon on any college team now and see him play against college kids. You will be amazed.

Maybe, but with the way the college game is spaced and played I doubt he scores 10 points/game and his (supposed) superior individual defense wouldn't make a huge impact with the ball movement. He'd grab rebounds for sure. Make some plays. He'd overpower younger smaller people but we wouldn't be OMG he is GOAT etc.

oh stop we criticized him a ton when it was warranted. when his offense dipped when he was worried too much about dancing and showing off his ball handling that went nowhere. the first 26 games when we were like "ok, whats the plan here". then he hit that 33 point game against the clippers. then a handful of unremarkable games. then the 30 point game against Memphis. two unremarkable games. 22 point game against the knicks. good game against Atlanta, and a 10 game stretch where he put up 16 ppg on 51/39/69 shooting. Then he started to wear down. then he got hurt. then he looked like a scrub in the dunk contest.

then he came back post all star and had a couple bad games. then he went on a 23 game tear.

I think something else being very undervalued is the importance of having the same coaching staff for the 2nd year in a row. This is the first time Elf and AG get to have the benefit of that continuity and I think it'll help them a lot. Young players need structure to grow and when things are constantly changing, it's detrimental to their development. That continuity + upgraded bench + weaker east = playoffs for us.

I don't care if I'm the only one on the wagon, but I'm taking on the OVER on the Vegas odds.

That's not your call to make. Next year isn't make or break for AG like it is for EP

What if EP improves next season similar to the he has over the past 3 years? That would be more tangible growth than most any player in the league on average, including anyone else on our team.

Maybe, but with the way the college game is spaced and played I doubt he scores 10 points/game and his (supposed) superior individual defense wouldn't make a huge impact with the ball movement. He'd grab rebounds for sure. Make some plays. He'd overpower younger smaller people but we wouldn't be OMG he is GOAT etc.

uhh, what?

1. he averaged 12 ppg his freshman season.

2. when he went back and played against "college" competition following his rookie year in summer league he averaged 22 and 12 and was unguardable.

@EricPincus: Shelvin Mack's deal is $6 mil flat per year, only $1 mil guaranteed for 18/19 @BBallInsiders w/Orlando Magic

I never said considerable improvement so I'm not defining it. I gave Jimmy Butler as in example because it's popular example of a guy who made a huge jump later in his career to become all nba and an mvp candidate. Some on this board think Gordon can make a similar jump to at least all star level, and the odds are way against him. If he can be a 33% shooter from deep for the season, that would be the small step I talked about earlier. And even that seems far away.

There's way more than a one in a million shot he becomes an all-star. I don't think any reasonable person would argue that

Just because you value him less than most doesn't mean anyone is giving him a pass, he has obvious offensive limitations. His athleticism and defensive versatility just lends me to believe he'll be an average starter at least