Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I think some people are overstating the improvements they think certain players will make and using that to base their projections. Maybe I'm just being very pessimistic, but I don't think it's a guarantee that all those guys improve enough that it really translates into a bunch more wins.

Mario might just be that bad. EP might just be an average PG that can't shoot. AG might not burst out like we've been hearing every offseason. Maybe Fournier doesn't go back to his career average from deep. Maybe Issac isn't ready.

There's plenty of reasons why this team could see little to no improvement at all. I think they should be slightly better, but I'm not buying into this being a 40 win team by any stretch of the imagination.

You're really moving the goalposts. Who said 40 wins?

we didn't go 8-16 post all star break because of Augustin, or any one player, nor does the record indicate the team played well. There's no point in playing the "if" game.

We went 8-16 because of Augustin, green, Watson, and Mario.

3 of the 4 are off the team or replaced in the rotation.

It almost literally can't be worse

If Mario gets Green's minutes, it could be worse, right? Wasn't Mario far worse than Green last year? He was extremely bad

If Mario gets Green's minutes, it could be worse, right? Wasn't Mario far worse than Green last year? He was extremely bad

Its debatable.

I think we have enough options out there to take hezonja's minutes if he still sucks

Mack doesn't have to be a difference maker, just better than Watson/DJ. Losing Ibaka changes a lot because it clears out the front court, let's AG move back to the 4, and changes the style of play the team can execute. AG and Payton are both still young, so I'm not sure you can say they are who they are after three seasons.

Sorry I'm not buying this "young" excuse (let's just call it what it is). Gordon and (especially) Payton have had ample time and opportunity to show improvements. They are almost vets now, coming into their fourth season. They aren't kids. If they haven't figured it out or taken that leap by now, then they aren't going to suddenly turn it on in the next years. Sure they can take small steps here and there, but at this point they are who they are.

Let me be clear... I don't believe we'll intentionally tank. I think we'll intentionally play our young guys and that we'll end up with a top 10 pick. Along with Augustin, we'll look to trade Vooch or Biz all year. It'll be all about evaluating and investing in the future.

Yeah but see I'm looking at this not just as a win loss issue. It's also for the development of those young guys Im looking at.

Also Frank says it's not good to just throw young guys out there. Ok well I haven't seen where just signing mediocre FA's and living in basketball purgatory has done them any better.

We need to bring in some legitimacy here. Doesn't have to be PG or an huge splash but it would be prudent to bring in some one who knows winning and isn't filing retirement papers at the same time.

Sorry I'm not buying this "young" excuse (let's just call it what it is). Gordon and (especially) Payton have had ample time and opportunity to show improvements. They are almost vets now, coming into their fourth season. They aren't kids. If they haven't figured it out or taken that leap by now, then they aren't going to suddenly turn it on in the next years. Sure they can take small steps here and there, but at this point they are who they are.

Gordon is 21.

We went 8-16 because of Augustin, green, Watson, and Mario.  

3 of the 4 are off the team or replaced in the rotation.

So shelvin mack and Isaac will suddenly make us 5 games better? am I understanding that correctly?

I think some people are overstating the improvements they think certain players will make and using that to base their projections. Maybe I'm just being very pessimistic, but I don't think it's a guarantee that all those guys improve enough that it really translates into a bunch more wins.

Mario might just be that bad. EP might just be an average PG that can't shoot. AG might not burst out like we've been hearing every offseason. Maybe Fournier doesn't go back to his career average from deep. Maybe Issac isn't ready.

There's plenty of reasons why this team could see little to no improvement at all. I think they should be slightly better, but I'm not buying into this being a 40 win team by any stretch of the imagination.

Ok. I think we should break down our schedule so you can see it better.

In the East conference there are 15 teams. Out of those 15 teams, I think we are better than New York, Brooklyn, Chicago, Atlanta and likely Indiana.

That makes us a top 10 in the east. Now, i see us likely at par with Detroit, Milwakee, Miami and likely Philadelphia.( i dont think philadelphia will be able to keep all players healthy and adjustment with all this new players can be an issue).

So best case scenario we will end at 7 but most likely arount 9-10.

Yeah but see I'm looking at this not just as a win loss issue. It's also for the development of those young guys Im looking at.

Also Frank says it's not good to just throw young guys out there. Ok well I haven't seen where just signing mediocre FA's and living in basketball purgatory has done them any better.

We need to bring in some legitimacy here. Doesn't have to be PG or an huge splash but it would be prudent to bring in some one who knows winning and isn't filing retirement papers at the same time.

I totally agree, which is why I wanted Hill. It appears management is going the young route

Ok. I think we should break down our schedule so you can see it better.

In the East conference there are 15 teams. Out of those 15 teams, I think we are better than New York, Brooklyn, Chicago, Atlanta and likely Indiana.

That makes us a top 10 in the east. Now, i see us likely at par with Detroit, Milwakee, Miami and likely Philadelphia.( i dont think philadelphia will be able to keep all players healthy and adjustment with all this new players can. E an issue).

So best case scenario we will end at 7 but most likely arount 9-10.

No way I put us on par with Miami and Milwaukee.

So shelvin mack and Isaac will suddenly make us 5 games better? am I understanding that correctly?

Yes. Assuming they are replacement level players.

Basically as long as mack plays like he has the last couple years or like tj mcconnell or someone like that and isaac has a rookie year comparable to justice Winslow or Michael Kidd Gilchrist then yes, they'll make us 5 games better.