Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

so because Detroit used the MLE when they were in the luxury tax they are hardcapped. which means they can not exceed $125,266,000 in salary for any reason. Not even for minimum players. So they only have 19 million to fill in the rest of their roster. they'd have to drop like 6 million to match a KCP offer.

Sheesh, how does Stan allow that to happen to such a mediocre team?

Hes signed a bunch of useful role guys to 3/4M more than they needed, and blocked his youth from developing into those roles

TL;DR what P4TW said

are you more comfortable betting on reggie Jackson and this team basically being our team until the summer or 2020?

or that we can shuffle guys around and try to grab someone in the summer of 2019.

That's a good point. I'm not really certain. I think having a PG who is good in the pick and roll and can hit 3s at a league average clip could potentially open things up more for AG and Isaac. On the other hand I don't know if Jackson is good enough that you can tie the long term success of your franchise up in his contract. Then again if Isaac and AG develop it might be ok. Then again again if AG and Isaac develop we might look attractive to free agents in 2019. This is why Weltman gets paid millions and I post on this message board.

Ultimately I guess I probably wouldn't do the Jackson deal. I think.

That's a good point. I'm not really certain. I think having a PG who is good in the pick and roll and can hit 3s at a league average clip could potentially open things up more for AG and Isaac. On the other hand I don't know if Jackson is good enough that you can tie the long term success of your franchise up in his contract. Then again if Isaac and AG develop it might be ok. Then again again if AG and Isaac develop we might look attractive to free agents in 2019. This is why Weltman gets paid millions and I post on this message board.

Ultimately I guess I probably wouldn't do the Jackson deal. I think.

yeah, it's an interesting proposition.

what if payton gets offered like 4/64 on the market by Brooklyn? would you rather have payton at 16/year for 4 years or Jackson at 17/year for 3? Or neither and the cap space? but who do you pick up in 2018 to replace payton? Devin Harris? Tony Parker if he still feels like playing?

yeah, it's an interesting proposition.

what if payton gets offered like 4/64 on the market by Brooklyn? would you rather have payton at 16/year for 4 years or Jackson at 17/year for 3? Or neither and the cap space? but who do you pick up in 2018 to replace payton? Devin Harris? Tony Parker if he still feels like playing?

Corey Joseph maybe if/when he opts out?

I stand by the idea that if you could trade watson and augustin for Jackson you do it. gives you Payton insurance and you still have some options available if he sucks. you can do some creative financing to get some 2019 cap space. Maybe you throw a future first with Biyombo's expiring contract to clear space. Maybe if Jackson sucks you stretch him in 2019 and stretch biyombo and just deal with that over time.

jackson-fournier-isaac-gordon-vucevic

payton-ross-hezonja-biyombo

ok, so they'd need to drop 8 million to match KCP and fill out there roster to 14 players.

Watson for Stanley Johnson and morris.

Would love this

I stand by the idea that if you could trade watson and augustin for Jackson you do it. gives you Payton insurance and you still have some options available if he sucks. you can do some creative financing to get some 2019 cap space. Maybe you throw a future first with Biyombo's expiring contract to clear space. Maybe if Jackson sucks you stretch him in 2019 and stretch biyombo and just deal with that over time.

jackson-fournier-isaac-gordon-vucevic

payton-ross-hezonja-biyombo

Not sure I could deal with Jackson, Fournier, and Vuch hogging the ball. We would need a legitimate scorer/alpha before I entertained him.

I do like that Watson/Johnson/Morris trade you posted though.

Not sure I could deal with Jackson, Fournier, and Vuch hogging the ball. We would need a legitimate scorer/alpha before I entertained him.

I do like that Watson trade you posted though.

I think jackson would be the alpha. or at least pretend to be.