Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

We're not going to be as bad as last year. Next years draft is going to be really top heavy, not like this year where you could get a great player in the mid-late lottery. Doesn't make sense to tank for a 6-8 pick. Might as well just try to win.

We should be close to as bad as last year. If we kept our roster entirely the same--it's extremely realistic to obtain a top 5 pick and you never know at that point what could happen in the lottery.

We can try to win all we want, but with this roster it won't matter.

Keep in mind there is a school of thought in the Magic organization that it really sets back young player development if the players are just given minutes and don't have to compete for them. See this article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-developmental-mistakes-0625-story.html

I don't know if I agree with the article or not, but it's at least a legitimate point of view. If the Magic think the points are valid, then they will have to get some vets for the younger guys to compete against, even if not Meeks or Ingles, in order to foster their development.

I read this a couple days ago when it came out. I just don't agree.

Great prospects don't need competition, they're going to be good either way. Those elite prospects like Towns, Wiggins, Davis, Wall, Irving, even going back to Dwight, didn't need competition to become all stars. In our situation, it's been different because we haven't had one of those blue chip prospects. We've missed out (by our own doing) on the elite prospects every year.

I could see where competition for those lower tier rookies like Oladipo & Payton could be more beneficial to an extent but I'm still not convinced that if we had a better PG here Payton's rookie year he would be some all-star PG now. I don't fully buy that thinking.

I still think coaching has a bigger impact on rookie development over what other players are on the roster.

We should be close to as bad as last year. If we kept our roster entirely the same--it's extremely realistic to obtain a top 5 pick and you never know at that point what could happen in the lottery.

We can try to win all we want, but with this roster it won't matter.

I read this a couple days ago when it came out. I just don't agree.

Great prospects don't need competition, they're going to be good either way. Those elite prospects like Towns, Wiggins, Davis, Wall, Irving, even going back to Dwight, didn't need competition to become all stars. In our situation, it's been different because we haven't had one of those blue chip prospects. We've missed out (by our own doing) on the elite prospects every year.

I could see where competition for those lower tier rookies like Oladipo & Payton could be more beneficial to an extent but I'm still not convinced that if we had a better PG here Payton's rookie year he would be some all-star PG now. I don't fully buy that thinking.

I still think coaching has a bigger impact on rookie development over what other players are on the roster.

Eh. I think if you take Jeff green off the team and isaac is just a below average nba player we're going to be better.

Add that to what we saw late in the year from Payton and Gordon and Vogel adapting a bit more to the roster and modern nba I general and this is a 35 win team. Not tank worthy.

Eh. I think if you take Jeff green off the team and isaac is just a below average nba player we're going to be better.

Add that to what we saw late in the year from Payton and Gordon and Vogel adapting a bit more to the roster and modern nba I general and this is a 35 win team. Not tank worthy.

35 wins should put us where, like 6-7th?

I don't really see 6 teams that are clearly worse then us. Even at 6, that still nets us a prospect like Carter/Bridges/Williams/Duval range. I'd still tank for one of them. It's not even really tanking. I'm just saying play the youth and it will kind of happen automatically.

I don't really see 6 teams that are clearly worse then us. Even at 6, that still nets us a prospect like Carter/Bridges/Williams/Duval range. I'd still tank for one of them. It's not even really tanking. I'm just saying play the youth and it will kind of happen automatically.

11th.

Minnesota may give OKC18 to take Cole Aldrich contract, we should be interested. 7M this year, only 2M guaranteed next year.

I'm with you.

I at first wasn't sold on Isaac, but the kid has upside. Mind you he isn't playing against real NBA players, just a bunch of D-league guys or undrafted guys looking for a spot, but there are some things that will translate immediately. His shot blocking and defensive skills are going to be useful, but he needs to get some strength before I think he will be a reliable re-bounder at the next level. He has a solid jumper, but it seems to be a slow release at least from what I see, which is worrisome.

1499040528[/url]' post='1072278']

I at first wasn't sold on Isaac, but the kid has upside. Mind you he isn't playing against real NBA players, just a bunch of D-league guys or undrafted guys looking for a spot, but there are some things that will translate immediately. His shot blocking and defensive skills are going to be useful, but he needs to get some strength before I think he will be a reliable re-bounder at the next level. He has a solid jumper, but it seems to be a slow release at least from what I see, which is worrisome.

Not sure what you saw but his release doesn't look that slow to me not as quick as Durant but could easily get there.

Isaac does seem to have a low release which I'd like to see him change. If he were to shoot the ball as high as he could, he'd be near impossible to contest, much like Durant. I did love to see him pull the one-legged Dirk fader.

OQuinn only contributed because our team was soooo bad. He was a marginal player drafted where he should have been drafted. On a playoff team the guy gets mop up duty and a few spare minutes occasionally.

Cool. Not sure that changes the conversation though

OQuinn only contributed because our team was soooo bad. He was a marginal player drafted where he should have been drafted. On a playoff team the guy gets mop up duty and a few spare minutes occasionally.

The majority of 2nd round picks don't make it in the league. O'Quinn is a success story for a 2nd round pick