Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

pistons @ magic game thread

Yup 35% from 3, and 90% from free throws in his rookie year. Just a figment.

His European career? 38% from 3 and 80% from free throw.

Yup. Imagination.

And since? Let the excuses begin.

70 points in a game. 53% from the field. 20 years old.

Say anything slightly negative about Mario on here--even a 20 year old scoring 70 points in an NBA game--you better be ready to hear some serious excuses.

It was damn good. 70 is impressive for anyone.

On a team that sucks and has no one other than him that should be chucking up more than 7 shots.

Ya know, think tomorrow I'm just gonna wake up and treat this as something y'all just imagined. It never happened.

And since? Let the excuses begin.

Yea, and it's not like 35% is necessarily a three point percentage to be bragging about from his rookie year. It's barely league average.

Yeah. Wonder what Mario would do with the green light to shoot 38 times?

Probably go about 8 for 38 with 5 air balls. Despite what the MPD says above, he hasn't shown that he can shoot at the NBA level. I don't care how well he may shoot in practice. And I certainly don't think his free throw shooting has any bearing at all on this discussion.

European stats don't translate into the same stats in the NBA. Totally different level.

Yea, and it's not like 35% is necessarily a three point percentage to be bragging about from his rookie year. It's barely league average.

Reggie Miller shot 32% his rookie year. He sucked at shooting too.

Guess you didn't see the game? Didn't see the other stats too huh?

You mean his 4 rebounds in 27 minutes? Yeah, he made a few good passes but if he doesn't start shooting the ball better, he won't make it in the NBA.

Probably go about 8 for 38 with 5 air balls. Despite what the MPD says above, he hasn't shown that he can shoot at the NBA level. I don't care how well he may shoot in practice. And I certainly don't think his free throw shooting has any bearing at all on this discussion.

European stats don't translate into the same stats in the NBA. Totally different level.

Or drops 70 because he would have more volume which would get him into a rhythm but you'd have to of play to know that.

Free throw shooting usually is a good indicating stat that one has the ability shoot.

lol yup, a shot in Europe has no translation to NBA.

That right there is an excuse my friends.

You mean his 4 rebounds in 27 minutes? Yeah, he made a few good passes but if he doesn't start shooting the ball better, he won't make it in the NBA.

And 6 assists...I know your trying man.

Or drops 70 because he would have more volume which would get him into a rhythm but you'd have to if play to know that.

Free throw shooting usually is a good indicating stat that one has the ability shoot.

lol yup, a shot in Europe has no translation to NBA.

That right there is an excuse my friends.

Right. Those with superior basketball knowledge all know that if only Mario can get 38 shots per game, that will get his rhythm going so he'll shoot lights out. Just another variation on giving him his first shots close to the basket and then having him gradually shoot from further away as he warms up. This kind of spoon feeding might work in the pee-wee league but not the NBA. And even if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, have you seen any NBA coaches rushing to give Mario a ton of shots? Do you think they're all ignorant also and just can't see the obvious?

How many recreational players can shoot foul shots very well? Tens of thousands? The idea that this somehow translates into NBA level abilities is something I can't relate to.

And yes, shooting statistics at one level of competition don't translate to a different level. Plenty of good college scorers, for example, would never be even remotely considered for the NBA. This point should be very obvious.

Right. Those with superior basketball knowledge all know that if only Mario can get 38 shots per game, that will get his rhythm going so he'll shoot lights out. Just another variation on giving him his first shots close to the basket and then having him gradually shoot from further away as he warms up. This kind of spoon feeding might work in the pee-wee league but not the NBA. And even if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, have you seen any NBA coaches rushing to give Mario a ton of shots? Do you think they're all ignorant also and just can't see the obvious?

How many recreational players can shoot foul shots very well? Tens of thousands? The idea that this somehow translates into NBA level abilities is something I can't relate to.

And yes, shooting statistics at one level of competition don't translate to a different level. Plenty of good college scorers, for example, would never be even remotely considered for the NBA. This point should be very obvious.

I saw him shoot league average of 35% which is better than Reggie Millers 32% in his rookie year. Then I saw him go to Croatia and have a new coach and have his PT cut to nill because he nobely represented his country instead of getting acquainted with his new coach (not his fault mind you that Skiles quit) and work on his game ,Ag was going to be the next PG and Ibaka was our unicorn.

Are we talking about Rec players? Tell you what. Go find me a few good NBA shooters who had or have a piss poor free throw percentage. I'll wait.

Yup. JJ was a helluva a scorer in college and the came into the NBA and had to sit and learn how to be get his shot off in the NBA. Patience.