Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

I think given the choice between Ross and Powell you need to take Powell due to low cost and restricted free agency.

I would love to get Ross, Powell AND Joseph but Toronto doesn't do that. I think that's the deal they turned down from OKC.

Powell is an intriguing player though.

Would it be possible to try get rid of Ibaka now for a pick of some sort in the draft? I think that would be the best idea.

Probably a mid. You're not getting in the lottery in this draft with Ibaka alone. AG would have to be included for a team to even listen.

So a max contract for Ibaka this year looks like what in 2-3 years. Does it make sense for a 3rd option guy on the decline?

I'll do the math later

it entirely depends on the decline. Indiana signed an obviously declining 31 year old David West to supplement their young roster where 4 of their top 5 were 25 and under. it worked out fine.

But the math was different because they had a more complete roster.

If you keep Ibaka you need to feel confident that you have your point guard in Payton, your SF/PF in Gordon, and whoever you pick in this draft has to be a starter at some point. so you're essentially not needing to hit free agency repeatedly.

Ibaka, max Gordon, 15/year for payton, Mario, 2017 pick should put you in the 85 million range already. but the cap hold for Gordon and payton would be smaller. so you still probably have 40 million to play around with after that.

I would love to get Ross, Powell AND Joseph but Toronto doesn't do that. I think that's the deal they turned down from OKC.

Powell is an intriguing player though.

I don't want joseph.

I'm interested in Siakam. I want to see what he can do with more minutes. He's already proven he can be a starter on a winning team.

he's a fake starter though. Like when Francisco Elson started on the Spurs team that went to the finals.

he's 9th in the rotation for minutes. and his on/off numbers are one of the worst on the team.

Toronto is a bottom 10 first quarter team and the number 1 fourth quarter team in the league and a lot of it has to do with Siakam only playing in 17 fourth quarters so far this season.

So a max contract for Ibaka this year looks like what in 2-3 years. Does it make sense for a 3rd option guy on the decline? Is it tradable by then?

Caps can, have, and will go down. It doesn't just go up and up. The only reason for this recent boost is recent TV contracts, but as we are learning, TV contracts aren't going to be a thing in short time and will disappear altogether at some point. Sure that's in the future, but to be a smart franchise is to plan for the future. This was the last hurrah from TV contracts. The cap increases over the current window are not sustainable, even if they were somewhat, that is not reason to throw insane amounts of money on at best 3rd options. He's a third option now, 3 years from now he's going to be thinking retirement.

Caps can, have, and will go down. It doesn't just go up and up. The only reason for this recent boost is recent TV contracts, but as we are learning, TV contracts aren't going to be a thing in short time and will disappear altogether at some point. Sure that's in the future, but to be a smart franchise is to plan for the future. This was the last hurrah from TV contracts. The cap increases over the current window are not sustainable, even if they were somewhat, that is not reason to throw insane amounts of money on at best 3rd options. He's a third option now, 3 years from now he's going to be thinking retirement.

no, you're misjudging the television market entirely. This is a two step issue. television advertising is dying because there's very few "appointment" television series. So a growing percentage of television is consumed through DVR or digital library services. Secondly, more people are dropping full cable packages and instead opting for a la carte selections of sling tv + Netflix+ HBO GO where they get the programming they want and aren't paying for the random grouping of channels that nobody watches. Whenever you see headlines like "ESPN DROPS MILLIONS OF SUBSCRIBERS" that is misleading. They're losing subscribers who never watched ESPN but were automatically provided it when they bought cable. The Office during it's peak 3 or 4 seasons was getting double the viewers that Law and Order SVU is getting now.

so you have more options, less easily trackable options for advertisers, and fewer subscribers. The only item immune to this trend is live event television.

advertisers notice this. Networks notice this. So networks are throwing ridiculous money to get any live rights they can get.

Supply and Demand. When the supply of programming capable of sustaining a high number of viewers in the moment is dwindling, there's going to be more of a demand for it. More demand, more money

we might see even more money pour into the NBA, NFL, NCAA. Advertisers have money to spend. why spend it on 20 episodes of modern family where you're getting 2.9 million viewers in your target demographic when the NFL is pulling 9 million for their pregame shows and the average ABC NBA game had almost 4 million viewers with peaks up to 12 for the regular season and 30 for great playoff games and ABC owns the rights to around 150 games.