Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

A huge part of coaching is your rotations. Puting your players in the best situation to succeed. He has failed.

Our current roster:

Shooters check

Defenders at rim check

Scorers check

Ball handlers check

Perimeter defenders not great but not horrible

I do not think our roster is bad. But the way we are playing them or not playing them is bad.

I think this philosophy is hennigan's biggest flaw. Every offseason he reviews the team and says "we're missing X, let me add X". Which sounds smart. We're missing shooting, let me add Channing Frye and Ben Gordon who are both cost effective solutions to our shooting problem. We're missing free throw attempts, let me add Augustin and Green who have higher free throw rates and would be cost effective solutions. We gave up the most shots at the rim last year, lets add Ibaka and Biyombo.

But that's not a great way to build a team. You need a group of two way players first and Talent before you can supplement that with guys who bring one skill. We only have 1 two way player, Ibaka. Gordon is starting to get there so we might have two for the second half of the year. The rest of the roster is just constantly shifting one problem for another. Fournier brings offense but no defense. Meeks brings offense but no defense. Watson brings defense but no offense. augustin brings offense but no defense. biyombo brings defense but no offense. Vucevic brings offense but no defense.

That's why I've been messing around with trades for two way role players. If we can start to grab more two way guys maybe the Biyombos and the Forniers have an easier time succeeding.

Zach low said we are interested in dragic

that's been around for a while but Miami is asking for too much.

I'd throw green and our lotto protected 17 pick (top 5 protected 18) for him but not much more.

I think this philosophy is hennigan's biggest flaw. Every offseason he reviews the team and says "we're missing X, let me add X". Which sounds smart. We're missing shooting, let me add Channing Frye and Ben Gordon who are both cost effective solutions to our shooting problem. We're missing free throw attempts, let me add Augustin and Green who have higher free throw rates and would be cost effective solutions. We gave up the most shots at the rim last year, lets add Ibaka and Biyombo.

But that's not a great way to build a team. You need a group of two way players first and Talent before you can supplement that with guys who bring one skill. We only have 1 two way player, Ibaka. Gordon is starting to get there so we might have two for the second half of the year. The rest of the roster is just constantly shifting one problem for another. Fournier brings offense but no defense. Meeks brings offense but no defense. Watson brings defense but no offense. augustin brings offense but no defense. biyombo brings defense but no offense. Vucevic brings offense but no defense.

That's why I've been messing around with trades for two way role players. If we can start to grab more two way guys maybe the Biyombos and the Forniers have an easier time succeeding.

Agree. Maybe he thought there's a possibility that AG, Mario (more like Porzingis), and EP would become two way players.

Popovic and Kerr are the easy ones. SVG was pretty good here, not sure if that's changed. Basically you want to look for coaches who, when presented with an in game obstacle, are capable of making a change that contributes to a new strategy without having the "rotation" part of the rotation completely fall apart. So think about all the times Stan played Courtney Lee at point guard but didn't completely abandon Alston at the same time.

Skiles was actually pretty good with this last year in certain areas (creativity, in game adjustments and shifting the overall strategy) but bad in other areas (playing Fournier 40+ minutes)

EDIT: Brett Brown too. I don't watch a ton of philly basketball but I remember last year when he diagnosed a weakness with our roster and attacked it by going two point guards in the second half.

Thanks. It seems to me that Vogel has two major faults when it comes to line ups, rotations, and in game adjustments:

1. He is loyal to certain role players to where they will almost always get a certain number of minutes

2. He will stick with a group on the floor too long without making a change, even if they are ineffective, especially if they have a couple of good moments.

that's been around for a while but Miami is asking for too much.

I'd throw green and our lotto protected 17 pick (top 5 protected 18) for him but not much more.

Yeah but with Lowe saying it like this, talks might be ongoing.

Definitely not a sign of tanking.

I somewhat agree, but I think Talent way supercedes two way ability when initially building a team.

I think the most important thing a GM needs to do is get the most amount of talent possible at the most number of positions. It doesn't matter if they are one way players or not. Who cares if Harden's defense is often a joke. Who cares if Dwight Howard can't score from more than a foot from the basket. Get talent first.

Once you get that talent, then you try to find a way for it to work together. Fill in the gaps with two way players. If it isn't working, figure out what your best strategy is going forward, what about your team isn't working? What is? Then trade, or get through free agency what you need. But first you need talent.

If you just go for guys that can fill certain needs without considering their overall talent ability, than you end up with a hodgepodge of mediocre talent that won't go anywhere.

No team in the league has all two way players. You have to be able to maximize advantages and hide flaws. This is every coaches challenge.

For example. Biz should not get the ball ten feet from the rim. Yet I see it multiple times a game. Also when Payton looks to drive other magic players should spread the floor. Yet this Rarely happens. And fournier should NEVER be a go to guy and dominate the ball. But what happens? You know.

Yeah but with Lowe saying it like this, talks might be ongoing.

Definitely not a sign of tanking.

Who knows. He might have heard this on Tuesday but things have changed a lot recently. Or maybe he heard about it yesterday.

Somewhat random question, but who do you think are the best coaches when it comes to rotations, as this seems to be a complaint by almost all fanbases of their coaches at times.

Brad Stevens

No team in the league has all two way players. You have to be able to maximize advantages and hide flaws. This is every coaches challenge.

For example. Biz should not get the ball ten feet from the rim. Yet I see it multiple times a game. Also when Payton looks to drive other magic players should spread the floor. Yet this Rarely happens. And fournier should NEVER be a go to guy and dominate the ball. But what happens? You know.

Good teams have a lot of two way players. You don't need "all" but you need like 4 or 5.