Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

I agree with all of this. It's just strange.

I think it goes to Gordon only playing well when he lets the game come to him. Anytime he tries to force the issue he ends up killing the entire offense.

The reason we sucked this season is largely due to the misuse of Gordon. The season is over. Tank. Put AG back at his natural PF. Ibaka is old, and is showing signs of it. Build with:

Biyombo

Gordon

Hezonja

?

Payton

If we can nab Butler with Vuc/Green/Ibaka, I say go for it.

I think it goes to Gordon only playing well when he lets the game come to him. Anytime he tries to force the issue he ends up killing the entire offense.

Yeah but is that because he's being forced to play at a position that's unnatural? One difference is how unsure he is at times compared to last year. At the PF spot, he was letting things naturally come. Attacking the offensive rebounds, blocking shots, all natural of who he is. A lot of his good games came when he was at the 4 spot this year.

Against the Bucks, don't know if stats back this up, what seemed to be our best lineup was EP/DJ/Green/AG/Biz.

My thinking is, maybe we need to replace DJ and Green. Keep AG at the 4. Maaaaybe Mario can slide into that 3 spot down the road and get us a nice 3 and D combo guard.

The reason we sucked this season is largely due to the misuse of Gordon. The season is over. Tank. Put AG back at his natural PF. Ibaka is old, and is showing signs of it. Build with:

Biyombo

Gordon

Hezonja

?

Payton

Yeah that isn't going to happen. You don't even get a pick up of the phone unless AG is involved.

Biyombo

Gordon

Hezonja

?

Payton

Vuc, Green and Ibaka for Butler....when did Rob or Otis become the GM in Chicago? It will take our two best players AND this years first (likely top 7 by years end) AND another unprotected first. You cant trade a collection of garbage for a true star unless you have a clown on the other end of the phone....as other teams have done when they called us.

Yeah but is that because he's being forced to play at a position that's unnatural? One difference is how unsure he is at times compared to last year. At the PF spot, he was letting things naturally come. Attacking the offensive rebounds, blocking shots, all natural of who he is. A lot of his good games came when he was at the 4 spot this year.

Against the Bucks, don't know if stats back this up, what seemed to be our best lineup was EP/DJ/Green/AG/Biz.

My thinking is, maybe we need to replace DJ and Green. Keep AG at the 4. Maaaaybe Mario can slide into that 3 spot down the road and get us a nice 3 and D combo guard.

it was ep/dj/Gordon/green/biz

closely followed by ep/dj/hezonja/green/biz

then augustin/Watson/hezonja/green/biz

I think Gordon's positional talk is overrated. he got a big switched onto him last night, did a fancy dribble move to float backward 6-8 feet to the three point line and jacked up a three. Playing 4 isn't automatically going to fix his shot selection sometimes. And if you're going to limit him by forcing him into the hustle role are you hurting his development?

you stick him at 4 and he's going to get more rebounds because there will be less competition for rebounds. he'll probably get more putbacks. But you're going to have a much more difficult time having him slide down to guard 2s and 3s because it's going to result in whoever's at SF defending 4s.

as a starter last year he averaged 11.1 ppg and 8.2 rebounds per game on 46/27/64 shooting

since that clipper game where he actually started looking comfortable at 3 he's averaging 14.1 ppg 5.2 rpg on 46/30/66 shooting.

and I should add I don't think his numbers look too different if he was playing the 4. probably a couple more rebounds.

it was ep/dj/Gordon/green/biz

closely followed by ep/dj/hezonja/green/biz

then augustin/Watson/hezonja/green/biz

I think Gordon's positional talk is overrated. he got a big switched onto him last night, did a fancy dribble move to float backward 6-8 feet to the three point line and jacked up a three. Playing 4 isn't automatically going to fix his shot selection sometimes. And if you're going to limit him by forcing him into the hustle role are you hurting his development?

you stick him at 4 and he's going to get more rebounds because there will be less competition for rebounds. he'll probably get more putbacks. But you're going to have a much more difficult time having him slide down to guard 2s and 3s because it's going to result in whoever's at SF defending 4s.

as a starter last year he averaged 11.1 ppg and 8.2 rebounds per game on 46/27/64 shooting

since that clipper game where he actually started looking comfortable at 3 he's averaging 14.1 ppg 5.2 rpg on 46/30/66 shooting.

and I should add I don't think his numbers look too different if he was playing the 4. probably a couple more rebounds.

Well stats show he's a better defender at the 3 anyways so you're right.

Just trying to figure out where to go with this team moving forward. It's like banging your head against a wall.

Well stats show he's a better defender at the 3 anyways so you're right.

Just trying to figure out where to go with this team moving forward. It's like banging your head against a wall.

Ideally you get another combo forward to pair him with. There's been some noise lately about DeMarre Carroll. I don't know where the source is but it'd make sense from a pure "put Gordon in the best situation" plan.

You want a consistent rotation. You want to play into Gordon's versatility. You definitely want him capable of defending 3s but you also want the ability to match him up on the slower footed 4s when you get that opportunity. So you move vucevic for a 3/4

Ideally you get another combo forward to pair him with. There's been some noise lately about DeMarre Carroll. I don't know where the source is but it'd make sense from a pure "put Gordon in the best situation" plan.

You want a consistent rotation. You want to play into Gordon's versatility. You definitely want him capable of defending 3s but you also want the ability to match him up on the slower footed 4s when you get that opportunity. So you move vucevic for a 3/4

You'd start Payton/Carroll/AG? I wouldn't touch Carroll.

I think that'd be a disaster offensively.

Think you need a combo GUARD to put between EP and AG