Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

I think a few players deserve credit for continuing to fight and improve their games: Payton, Fournier, Gordon and Vooch. While all have room to grow, all of them are clearly working on their games. In fact, Payton and Fournier are now oddly having their best years. Overall we have room for growth and trades, but credit to these guys for fighting.

I really like the way Vuch has played this year. Struggled with his shooting at first but kept up the play on the defensive end. Makes you wonder if we should keep him and add in other areas.

Payton has better at consistency too. Like to see him keep that up.

Fournier working on being better overall.

Some positives there.

Three of the last nine games, payton has played very well.

Unfortunately, he is still very likely to lay an egg the very next game.

Wow... for as much criticism as I give to Payton, I just found this info: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201571/. Augustine looks like an awful defender and we are a net -11 with him on the court? Is this right?

Augustin had a good stretch in the middle of the season where he was putting up something like 11 ppg on pretty solid shooting. But the last 13 games he's only been solid at spot up shooting. everything else has been bad.

which makes sense. Dude is a solid backup who can provide shooting.

Wow... for as much criticism as I give to Payton, I just found this info: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201571/. Augustine looks like an awful defender and we are a net -11 with him on the court? Is this right?

Not sure plus-minus stats are the best way to look at defense.

Opposing players score 5.5% higher when he is the closest defender than their season averages. There is not a single area of the court where he holds opposing players below their season averages.

To go a little deeper- when he is the closest defender, opposing players have scored 210 points. If he was able to hold them to their season averages, they would have scored 181 points.

And that is just on his own man to man defense. He also has the worst DRtg of any of our rotational players at 112, and has a DBPM of -3.3, again the worst mark of any rotation player on the team.

So yes, bad defender.

One problem we have is that we can't start Payton, Gordon and Biz together due to shooting, and Augustine is a backup PG.

so start vucevic.

Also, I don't know if we are that threatened by a payton-gordon-biyombo lineup anymore. the worry is they just pack the paint and leave guys open on the perimeter. but Gordon is a 40% shooter on wide open threes so maybe that helps. payton is 9-30 on wide open threes so ehhhh...

For comparison's sake, Elfrid probably grades out to an average defender.

Opposing players score 1.5% higher when playing against him.

However, he also has a better DRtg and a positive DBPM. He also has a higher steal rate and block rate.

For comparison's sake, Elfrid probably grades out to an average defender.

Opposing players score 1.5% higher when playing against him.

However, he also has a better DRtg and a positive DBPM. He also has a higher steal rate and block rate.

Payton is the weirdest player I've ever watched. his defense is often fantastic and often horrible. Against Miami he had another play late where he just fell asleep and let (tyler Johnson?) drive right past him. The offensive player had three good steps before payton even reacted.

Payton is the weirdest player I've ever watched. his defense is often fantastic and often horrible. Against Miami he had another play late where he just fell asleep and let (tyler Johnson?) drive right past him. The offensive player had three good steps before payton even reacted.

I agree, sometimes his defense looks fantastic, sometimes it looks like he is not even on the court. That gives the same impact as a player who's defense is always average though.

He sounds like a career backup.