Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

1. don't you think JJ would have left in free agency? Didn't really make sense to keep him knowing we ended up with oladipo.

2. That's a weird statement. Danny Ainge is a good GM. Danny Ainge is sitting on more first round picks and young talent than they can possibly keep on the team. Danny Ainge has been highly active in seeking a big name. Boston has been unable to make a deal the last 3 years. If one of our peers is able to make a big trade with assets that are similar to what we have then I accept that criticism. until then, I think we actually traded for the biggest name over the past few years (Ibaka).

3. That was a story from his first 6 months on the job. how other teams would call up with bad trades to see if they can out negotiate him.

1. I can't honestly say. He seems to have the mental fortitude to stick it out. He loved it here. I don't think he would've demanded out. I mean yeah Dipo and JJ play the same position but depth doesn't kill you. You could've played them both more as one is a good shooter. Probably more effective than Dipo and EP since Dipo plays with the ball and JJ can play without it.

2. I'm talking about Ray Allen. He got him for Jeff Green of all players. I'm not ready to call the Ibaka trade a win. Right now our record is misleading and we could very well be in the same boat with a player who says "I'm out" in just over a few months in a weak FA. We could very well be on course to rebuilding next season or resigning Ibaka to big money and be a treadmill team. Just can't make that verdict yet.

3. Yeah but I also read about how he isn't the best negotiator. May not be the same article because it seemed like it was later on then that. Can't quite remember when . Maybe after Tobias to Detroit? He got a lot of flack for that.

1. I can't honestly say. He seems to have the mental fortitude to stick it out. He loved it here. I don't think he would've demanded out. I mean yeah Dipo and JJ play the same position but depth doesn't kill you. You could've played them both more as one is a good shooter. Probably more effective than Dipo and EP since Dipo plays with the ball and JJ can play without it.

2. I'm talking about Ray Allen. He got him for Jeff Green of all players. I'm not ready to call the Ibaka trade a win. Right now our record is misleading and we could very well be in the same boat with a player who says "I'm out" in just over a few months.

3. Yeah but it was also read about how he isn't the best negotiator.

But you don't get credit for Ray Allen trades when that trade was made 10 years ago. My point is universally considered "good" GMs aren't able to make deals so why judge Hennigan on a different criteria

the market has been what it's been over the past few years you can only judge the worth of a GM based on what is available. we aren't the only team sitting around waiting for a great player. A CEO that leads his company to be slightly in the Red during a recession might be worth more than a CEO that leads his company to be slightly in the black during a boon.

i think it's premature to call the Ibaka trade a win. Nothing against Serge

I wont argue with that. He is our best player though and overall a better player than Dipo.

We will see if he resigns or not.

But you don't get credit for Ray Allen trades when that trade was made 10 years ago. My point is universally considered "good" GMs aren't able to make deals so why judge Hennigan on a different criteria

the market has been what it's been over the past few years you can only judge the worth of a GM based on what is available. we aren't the only team sitting around waiting for a great player. A CEO that leads his company to be slightly in the Red during a recession might be worth more than a CEO that leads his company to be slightly in the black during a boon.

Eh, 10 years, 15 years, it was a move that resulted in a ship and he did another with KG. Now the KG may have been gift wrapped to him because of many variables but I can point out a lot of trades that have happened where teams got significantly better.

Henny has built an imbalanced roster time and time again. I'm not calling for his firing, I'm just questioning his ability to build this team beyond then what we've gotten.

Eh, 10 years, 15 years, it was a move that resulted in a ship and he did another with KG. Now the KG may have been gift wrapped to him because of many variables but I can point out a lot of trades that have happened where teams got significantly better.

Henny has built an imbalanced roster time and time again. I'm not calling for his firing, I'm just questioning his ability to build this team beyond then what we've gotten.

no, you're completely missing my point.

I'm not arguing that Ainge isn't a good GM.

here's my point:

1. Good GMs make big trades

2. No GMs have made big trades over the past few years

therefore there are no good GMs? or the initial premise is flawed?

3. Danny Ainge is a good GM

Therefore #1 is incorrect.

Henny not trading for Hill or Teague this summer and sticking with Payton might cost him his job. Without consistent PG play, a team typically goes nowhere.

Henny not trading for Hill or Teague this summer and sticking with Payton might cost him his job. Without consistent PG play, a team typically goes nowhere.

I don't see the possible trade for Hill

Teague is a good argument but who knows if they wanted to trade him within the division.

ultimately, Hennigan might deserve to get fired this upcoming summer. but it will be because of this:

"We want to compete for the playoffs"

"We think this roster can make the playoffs"

(Team ends up with less than 37 wins)

I don't see the possible trade for Hill

How so? Yes, the trade was a three way deal, but Utah simply gave up #12. Surely we could have included something other than Sabonis for Ibaka. Honestly, it's clear that after four coaches and the same projected starting PG, Henny has a love affair with Payton.

I'm trying to think of an NFL analogy where a GM has refused to move on from the same project QB thru four coaches. Thankfully, Vogel has had the guts to finally move Payton to the bench, which should signal to ownership it's time to find a new floor leader (and maybe a new GM).