Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

oh sure but I'm only concerned with what's achievable now.

I wouldn't even mind a combo sg like Lavine or an scoring PG. Although there's not a lot of those.

Also, Payton is better than Augustin because Augustin is a role player.

Role players are predictable. they play well in home games but poorly on the road.

Augustin is averaging 11 ppg on 47/36/91 shooting at home and 7ppg on 32/29/85 on the road.

Role players are predictable. they play well in home games but poorly on the road.

Augustin is averaging 11 ppg on 47/36/91 shooting at home and 7ppg on 32/29/85 on the road.

Might surprise some people here, but I agree. Payton is probably better overall than Augustin, because when he's engaged his defense is really good and his offense is workable. I just think Augustin is better in our starting lineup, because we desperately need consistent scoring from outside (not just shooting, but offensive creation from the perimeter) from that spot in the SL. That said, Augustin is not playing great either, in terms of consistency. Which is why I still desperately want this team to upgrade the PG spot.

Yes but what Payton can't provide is spacing and consistent effort. So it's kind of like all his other positives are negated by this alone.

I don't see the inconsistent effort at all. He is engaged defending much better this year. I feel he is told to give it to Evan at the top of the key a lot and then he watches from the corner. If this is what the coach wants then what is he to do?

I don't see the inconsistent effort at all. He is engaged defending much better this year. I feel he is told to give it to Evan at the top of the key a lot and then he watches from the corner. If this is what the coach wants then what is he to do?

You didnt notice the 4 points and 2 assists against Dallas?

The Grizzlies list 6 players as out tonight: Vince Carter, Mike Conley, James Ennis III, Chandler Parsons, Zach Randolph & Brandan Wright.

The Grizzlies list 6 players as out tonight: Vince Carter, Mike Conley, James Ennis III, Chandler Parsons, Zach Randolph & Brandan Wright.

And they just played last night did they not?

But man, this screams trap game. I hope we bring the D!

Everybody has bad games.

Vogel has been on him to push the ball and it doesn't seem to compute sometimes. He also has a tendency to choose to be a non factor.

Everybody has bad games.

Sure. But all good point guards have fewer bad games than Payton.

Nobody rational thinks Payton isn't a nba player or some horrible point guard. Just he's probably not the point guard of the future and he's at an improvable position.

Everybody has bad games.

I don't think its necessarily about having a few bad games here and there. P4TW is right -- his overall stats suggest he's better than Augustine. The issue right now is fit -- he doesn't fit in the SL because of his shooting. I'm personally convinced that you can't start EP and Gordon together -- and I think Vogel thinks so too -- so he moved Gordon to the SL to try to get his offense going. That, combined with Gordon's D, is allowing us to gaurd the other teams best player by our best individual defender from the get-go.

The one flaw of Payton is fatal to our SL. Until he can learn to shoot more consistently this is the best action.