Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Anybody else hear mike and mike this morning? Guess they talked about us talking to Boston about the number 1 pick?

What would they want from us. Not sure Fournier or Vuc would benefit them. If they want Gordon sure.

What would they want from us. Not sure Fournier or Vuc would benefit them. If they want Gordon sure.

I'm sure Gordon but I don't know if it's true

Boston just came out and basically said they aren't trading that pick unless the person they're getting back is "..the second coming", which I think means like a HOFer type player. We aren't getting it.

Boston just came out and basically said they aren't trading that pick unless the person they're getting back is "..the second coming", which I think means like a HOFer type player. We aren't getting it.

Just read that.

I'm fine with 6th. Smith, Monk or Isaac.

Then maybe the NBA shouldnt reward tanking -- and until they stop teams are gonna continue to "play young players" as Cuban puts it.

So how would you stop Dallas from turning to their young players?

It was pretty evident by the trade deadline that the Mavericks were not going to be a play off team. So at that point they have two choices: one, stick with players like Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut, continue to struggle at both ends of the court, and essentially go nowhere; or two, turn to younger players like Yogi Ferrell (PG) and Nerlens Noel ©, players that might be part of the next era in Mavericks basketball. I'll be honest, I don't agree with losing for the sake of it, but in this instance the Mavericks made the right choice by handing the keys over to the younger players. It gave them an opportunity to see if Ferrell could be a starting point guard for them. It let them see if Barnes can really be that go to scorer and leader. It also gave them the chance to see whether Noel can be that elite defensive center they have craved for so many years. They got to see whether Curry was worth that contract they gave him. Basically they as a team got more out of that season by turning to the younger players than they would have done had they stuck with the ageing regressing veterans.

Same goes for a team like Sacramento when they traded Cousins. They turned the keys over to Skal Labissiere, Willie Cauley-Stein, Buddy Heild, and Papagiannis. Giving those younger players more minutes ended up with them playing some positive basketball and showing that they have some talented young players to build around. Now they could have stuck it out with Cousins and won 30-odd games, used their veteran fillers and finished out the season that way. But would that have been a positive for them? Not really. By moving on from Cousins, the Kings have possibly taken the first steps towards building a brighter and more positive team, rather than the downbeat team they had become with Cousins on board.

So sometimes when teams turn to the young players it is actually a positive thing, even if the end result of that is more defeats and a better chance of winning the draft lottery.

They reward tanking the least out of the big 3 sports. They should just do it like the NFL and go by record. Then we can at least call it like we see it and not worry about the league rigging the draft.

I think the best way to fix the draft system and get rid of tanking is to give every non-play off team one ball in the hat. Working under that system all fourteen teams would have the same chance of winning the first overall pick. That would mean that the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics (via Brooklyn Nets) would have the same chance of picking first overall, just like we would. Under this system it means no one team can guarantee where they will pick, thus the reward for having the worst record no longer counts, and I think that could lead to teams trying to adopt the 2016-17 Miami Heat model and actually trying to win games and make the play offs.

Now I guess this system could meet opposition because the worst teams could end up consistently picking outside the top ten and never getting the difference making players. So perhaps adopting the NFL system of fixed picks and go by record is the best way forwards for the NBA, since at least then the worst teams would get the best players and the chance to get better. But if a lottery system remains, I would honestly prefer to see every single team given the same chance of winning via one ball, one name in the hat. Would that stop people speculating that it is rigged? Nope, but it could stop tanking, or at least reduce it because teams would no longer be able to predict their draft pick and might as well try to win.

So how would you stop Dallas from turning to their young players?

It was pretty evident by the trade deadline that the Mavericks were not going to be a play off team. So at that point they have two choices: one, stick with players like Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut, continue to struggle at both ends of the court, and essentially go nowhere; or two, turn to younger players like Yogi Ferrell (PG) and Nerlens Noel ©, players that might be part of the next era in Mavericks basketball. I'll be honest, I don't agree with losing for the sake of it, but in this instance the Mavericks made the right choice by handing the keys over to the younger players. It gave them an opportunity to see if Ferrell could be a starting point guard for them. It let them see if Barnes can really be that go to scorer and leader. It also gave them the chance to see whether Noel can be that elite defensive center they have craved for so many years. They got to see whether Curry was worth that contract they gave him. Basically they as a team got more out of that season by turning to the younger players than they would have done had they stuck with the ageing regressing veterans.

Same goes for a team like Sacramento when they traded Cousins. They turned the keys over to Skal Labissiere, Willie Cauley-Stein, Buddy Heild, and Papagiannis. Giving those younger players more minutes ended up with them playing some positive basketball and showing that they have some talented young players to build around. Now they could have stuck it out with Cousins and won 30-odd games, used their veteran fillers and finished out the season that way. But would that have been a positive for them? Not really. By moving on from Cousins, the Kings have possibly taken the first steps towards building a brighter and more positive team, rather than the downbeat team they had become with Cousins on board.

So sometimes when teams turn to the young players it is actually a positive thing, even if the end result of that is more defeats and a better chance of winning the draft lottery.

I think the best way to fix the draft system and get rid of tanking is to give every non-play off team one ball in the hat. Working under that system all fourteen teams would have the same chance of winning the first overall pick. That would mean that the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics (via Brooklyn Nets) would have the same chance of picking first overall, just like we would. Under this system it means no one team can guarantee where they will pick, thus the reward for having the worst record no longer counts, and I think that could lead to teams trying to adopt the 2016-17 Miami Heat model and actually trying to win games and make the play offs.

Now I guess this system could meet opposition because the worst teams could end up consistently picking outside the top ten and never getting the difference making players. So perhaps adopting the NFL system of fixed picks and go by record is the best way forwards for the NBA, since at least then the worst teams would get the best players and the chance to get better. But if a lottery system remains, I would honestly prefer to see every single team given the same chance of winning via one ball, one name in the hat. Would that stop people speculating that it is rigged? Nope, but it could stop tanking, or at least reduce it because teams would no longer be able to predict their draft pick and might as well try to win.

I actually like the NFL method. Just base it on record and take the speculation out of it.

that wouldn't end tanking.

Don't care about that honestly.

Bashing teams for trying to better position themselves for a good draft pick after they've come to a conclusion their season isn't a success doesn't make sense to me.

Don't care about that honestly.

Bashing teams for trying to better position themselves for a good draft pick after they've come to a conclusion their season isn't a success doesn't make sense to me.

i like the lottery though. gives a bit more to the season.

i like the lottery though. gives a bit more to the season.

Its alright. I don't hate it. Think if your a team that has had some bad luck and the draft is your only option and some other team just leaps frog you out of no where and gets a higher pick while you get a lower pick sucks.