Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

If we give up this years first rounder for Dragic then Henny does not deserve the title of GM any longer.

I didn't read the article but I cannot believe Pelton would suggest something so stupid.

here's my draft wishlist

1.fultz

2. Ball or Smith Jr

3 Smith JR or Ball

4. Monk

5. Isaac

I feel like Jackson and Tatum are in that Jaylen Brown, Stanley Johnson, Justice Winslow, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Demar Derozan, Josh Childress, heck even aaron gordon area of SFs. The "This guy looks like an NBA player and has a really high floor and is 99% likely to be at least a good pro. But the production might take a while to show up." And Isaac might ultimately be in this group when all is said and done but at least he's versatile (size, shooting, skillset).

Why is Fultz so highly rated? I see he blows by his man with that first step but against NBA competition is that translatable?

fair question.

Fultz is so highly rated because he's got a quick first step. If somehow that doesn't translate he's also got the ability to create space into a good midrange shot. If somehow that doesn't translate he's also a 42% three point shooter.

so on offense he's a three layer player right now with not just good but high efficiency.

That's a baseline for scoring.

frequency.

Fultz hits his upper levels very frequently with 20+ points in 14 out of 19 games so you're getting B+ Fultz constantly. it's not a situation where the highs are high and the lows are low. His floor is also really high. His worst game this year is a 12 point 4 assist 4 rebound game against Cal where he shot 3-15. Every player has bad games but his bad game is still productive. Compared to freshman marcus smart who put up a 3 point 0 assist game on 1 for 6 shooting or Brandon Knight who had a 2 point 5 assist game against prinston.

so his highs are high and his lows are high and his highs are really frequent and his lows are rare.

He's also a really good defensive player, is built like oladipo, and is a really good passer.

So what you're looking at is everything good with a point guard you would want but none of the weaknesses. And while Ball is taller and can jump higher he's got issues with his shooting form (ugly but effective) and isn't a scorer. While Smith is quicker, he's got issues with consistency. he started shooting 0-7 but then hit 7 for 17. then went 3-14. then caught fire and went 16 for 28. then went 3 for 11. then went 9 for 24

fair question.

Fultz is so highly rated because he's got a quick first step. If somehow that doesn't translate he's also got the ability to create space into a good midrange shot. If somehow that doesn't translate he's also a 42% three point shooter.

so on offense he's a three layer player right now with not just good but high efficiency.

That's a baseline for scoring.

frequency.

Fultz hits his upper levels very frequently with 20+ points in 14 out of 19 games so you're getting B+ Fultz constantly. it's not a situation where the highs are high and the lows are low. His floor is also really high. His worst game this year is a 12 point 4 assist 4 rebound game against Cal where he shot 3-15. Every player has bad games but his bad game is still productive. Compared to freshman marcus smart who put up a 3 point 0 assist game on 1 for 6 shooting or Brandon Knight who had a 2 point 5 assist game against prinston.

so his highs are high and his lows are high and his highs are really frequent and his lows are rare.

He's also a really good defensive player, is built like oladipo, and is a really good passer.

So what you're looking at is everything good with a point guard you would want but none of the weaknesses. And while Ball is taller and can jump higher he's got issues with his shooting form (ugly but effective) and isn't a scorer. While Smith is quicker, he's got issues with consistency. he started shooting 0-7 but then hit 7 for 17. then went 3-14. then caught fire and went 16 for 28. then went 3 for 11. then went 9 for 24

As a person who doesn't really watch college basketball, who do they compare best to?

As a person who doesn't really watch college basketball, who do they compare best to?

Fultz is like John wall or maybe Deron Williams from back when he was actually good where he's athletic and big and can operate as a passer and as a scorer.

Smith is westbrook-ish but I'm not sure if that's a great comp because he has more point guard skills at a younger age. Some announcers have said he reminds them of Chris Paul in college which is nice but I'm not sure I like that one either because I think Smith plays more above the rim.

Ball is the weirdest one because he's 6'6 and they throw him alley oops. he can really jump. so you're expecting something like tyreke evans but he's a really really good passer with 8.2 apg which is hard to do in college and seems to look for that more than his scoring. And he's got an ugly shawn marion type jumper but he's shooting 44% on high volume from 3. So it's like if you took young Shawn Livingston and gave him a jumper and Zach lavine type jumping. Maybe not Lavine but I think Ball probably has a 40 inch vert.

I think people see Isaiah Thomas. I don't know if that's a good comp; IT is a pretty special player at a special size. And it took him a while to get there too.

I think people see Isaiah Thomas. I don't know if that's a good comp; IT is a pretty special player at a special size. And it took him a while to get there too.

For Fultz?

For Fultz?

That's what IT does really well: create space and drive, mid range, or 3 ball with quick first step. If we're saying the same things about Fultz here that comparison makes sense.