Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

2017 Playoffs or Henny is Fired

This is pro basketball and the results are judged also on how has one seizes an opportunity. There's how many stars in this league? How many teams? They're all trying to get one. The best teams don't make decisions on fatigue. They make analytical decisions without hampering future options and acquiring assets until the moment comes. Rob has done exactly that.

Most gm's who've been around a long time have said in numerous of interviews that timing and a little bit of luck are very important variables.

Now, AG, Mario, and Payton are 23 and under but here you are already assuming they won't amount to much which is why being impatient is not a good trait for a gm. Feelings should not be the main drive for their decision making.

Boo-hoo, Rob had bad luck. He's a genius with the world's worst luck. Give me a break. He came in here with a plan of tanking our way to a championship contending team and all it has given us is a bunch of losing seasons, mediocre young players that fans love to overrate and our future is every bit as cloudy now as it was when he was hired. I'm not saying fire him on the spot, but I've certainly grown old of this team being terrible. I'm willing to see how this offseason plays out (I actually like the Ibaka move, but at the same time it speaks to how overrated I feel our young players were) and I have hope we can actually make the playoffs this season, but I'm at a point where I'm not willing to accept a fifth straight lottery season and I'm tired of making excuses for the people that have put us here.

We have cap space and youth now, but we're going to have to decide if we want to pay these young guys Rob brought in and haven't won us anything. We have to decide if we want to sign Ibaka to a big extension, Fournier is likely going to get paid big time by us soon. Gordon and Payton will be up for new deals soon, how much are they worth? Vucevic is already signed to a "big" deal, and we'll probably sign someone in FA this off-season to a comfy deal (not even counting Fournier). We're not going to be flush with cap space soon, and it's a problem with botched tanking efforts. Those guys you end up drafting don't stay on team friendly deals forever. There is a lot of decisions to be made, but there isn't a single player I'd call untouchable.

Let's see what happens, but in most professions people are held responsible for the results they produce for their company. But I guess we're okay with bad results because we didn't catch a lucky break. Maybe we should've hired a GM whose plan to rebuild this team wasn't centered around luck.

• Upvote 1

Boo-hoo, Rob had bad luck. He's a genius with the world's worst luck. Give me a break. He came in here with a plan of tanking our way to a championship contending team and all it has given us is a bunch of losing seasons, mediocre young players that fans love to overrate and our future is every bit as cloudy now as it was when he was hired. I'm not saying fire him on the spot, but I've certainly grown old of this team being terrible. I'm willing to see how this offseason plays out (I actually like the Ibaka move, but at the same time it speaks to how overrated I feel our young players were) and I have hope we can actually make the playoffs this season, but I'm at a point where I'm not willing to accept a fifth straight lottery season and I'm tired of making excuses for the people that have put us here.

We have cap space and youth now, but we're going to have to decide if we want to pay these young guys Rob brought in and haven't won us anything. We have to decide if we want to sign Ibaka to a big extension, Fournier is likely going to get paid big time by us soon. Gordon and Payton will be up for new deals soon, how much are they worth? Vucevic is already signed to a "big" deal, and we'll probably sign someone in FA this off-season to a comfy deal (not even counting Fournier). We're not going to be flush with cap space soon, and it's a problem with botched tanking efforts. Those guys you end up drafting don't stay on team friendly deals forever. There is a lot of decisions to be made, but there isn't a single player I'd call untouchable.

Let's see what happens, but in most professions people are held responsible for the results they produce for their company. But I guess we're okay with bad results because we didn't catch a lucky break. Maybe we should've hired a GM whose plan to rebuild this team wasn't centered around luck.

Since you wanna play the President and say he should be fired why don't you play GM and tell us all how you would've done things and what would you do right now?

I'm pretty happy with Gordon and Hezonja. I'm sorry our GM didn't field a team like charlotte to make you specifically feel better despite it being against our best interest...

This just speaks to our fans overrating the young guys again. You have hard ons for two players who have accomplished nothing and led the team nowhere, and that's fine for you. But I'm not going to get excited over young guys who may or may not be good. Gordon has flashed potential, but his offensive game is too limited to be an All Star type. Hezonja is intriguing, but we're 100% banking on unseen potential because he didn't show all that much as a rookie.

lol at our best interest. I'm not sure how being in the lottery every year in our best interest.

Since you wanna play the President and say he should be fired why don't you play GM and tell us all how you would've done things and what would you do right now?

You're the one making the absurd claim that Rob Hennigan is an above average GM despite having nothing on his resume to show otherwise. That burden of proof is on you to back up that claim. I have the fact that Rob Hennigan has overseen the worst stretch in franchise history to back up my claim. I'm saying he should be held responsible for the results he's produced, but we want to find every excuse in the sun for this guy because this fan base has become obsessed with youth and potential over actually putting a competitive team on the court.

• Upvote 1

You're the one making the absurd claim that Rob Hennigan is an above average GM despite having nothing on his resume to show otherwise. That burden of proof is on you to back up that claim. I have the fact that Rob Hennigan has overseen the worst stretch in franchise history to back up my claim. I'm saying he should be held responsible for the results he's produced, but we want to find every excuse in the sun for this guy because this fan base has become obsessed with youth and potential over actually putting a competitive team on the court.

Yeah I didn't think you had it in ya.

I suggest following another team. Maybe even being a fan of a player and changing your name to DIPOKC4LIFE or something.

You'll be happier.

This just speaks to our fans overrating the young guys again. You have hard ons for two players who have accomplished nothing and led the team nowhere, and that's fine for you. But I'm not going to get excited over young guys who may or may not be good. Gordon has flashed potential, but his offensive game is too limited to be an All Star type. Hezonja is intriguing, but we're 100% banking on unseen potential because he didn't show all that much as a rookie.

lol at our best interest. I'm not sure how being in the lottery every year in our best interest.

i'll bet you $50 one of Gordon or Hezonja becomes an all star at some point.

and it was in our best interest. EVERY team is doing the same thing during their rebuild.

Yeah I didn't think you had it in ya.

I suggest following another team. Maybe even being a fan of a player and changing your name to DIPOKC4LIFE or something.

You'll be happier.

Listen bud, don't tell me to change teams because I'm not happy with the job our GM has done. I've been a Magic fan since I was 5 and got a Penny Hardaway jersey for my birthday. I've been here for the best years (Shaq/Penny, Dwight before the drama) and the worst years (The Rob Hennigan era). If anything, the fact that I'm unhappy with losing and want better makes me a better fan than making excuses and being okay with the WORST STRETCH IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. Rob's rebuild plan didn't work as planned and now we're in a spot of having to throw money around. I'm holding him responsible, for better or worse. If this offseason goes great and the team is competitive next year then I'm happy and have no issue with Rob staying. But if we are again lottery trash for the fifth year in a row, then yes I want to go in a different direction and I don't see how that makes me a bad fan.

• Upvote 1

i'll bet you $50 one of Gordon or Hezonja becomes an all star at some point.

and it was in our best interest. EVERY team is doing the same thing during their rebuild.

Maybe right after the Dwight trade it was in our best interest, but it isn't anymore. The team isn't bad enough to get a real chance at a star and isn't good enough to make the playoffs. We are in the worst possible position you could be in as a franchise. We're putting our hopes into young guys being super stars when they haven't flashed that kind of ability yet and hoping we can land someone good in FA when a lot of teams have cap space. I fully admit, our rebuild was hampered by poor luck but I don't take that excuse because Rob and everyone involved with the decision to tank knew that was a legit possibility.

Listen bud, don't tell me to change teams because I'm not happy with the job our GM has done. I've been a Magic fan since I was 5 and got a Penny Hardaway jersey for my birthday. I've been here for the best years (Shaq/Penny, Dwight before the drama) and the worst years (The Rob Hennigan era). If anything, the fact that I'm unhappy with losing and want better makes me a better fan than making excuses and being okay with the WORST STRETCH IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. Rob's rebuild plan didn't work as planned and now we're in a spot of having to throw money around. I'm holding him responsible, for better or worse. If this offseason goes great and the team is competitive next year then I'm happy and have no issue with Rob staying. But if we are again lottery trash for the fifth year in a row, then yes I want to go in a different direction and I don't see how that makes me a bad fan.

Your timing for this rant is rather absurd. Since you're yelling about how fed up and over it you are and what a terrible job Henny has done, at least make a promise to come back and formally apologize in this thread if/when we make the playoffs.

Your timing for this rant is rather absurd. Since you're yelling about how fed up and over it you are and what a terrible job Henny has done, at least make a promise to come back and formally apologize in this thread if/when we make the playoffs.

I straight up said in my post that if the team makes the playoffs, then I'm fine with him. I don't need to make you any promises, I've already said multiple times that it all hinges on this season. This is literally the definition of a make or break season, my point is if it turns out to be a break season then it's time to get a new voice in charge. I'm not making excuses anymore, produce results or look for a new job. That's how it is in every other job in the world, not sure why it's different here. If you fail to meet expectations over a long period at your job, do you think your boss will take the bad luck excuse?

No your just an emotional fan. Do you serriously think your the only Magic fan that wants results?

The difference is not loyality to Henny but witnessing throughout the years (been a fan myself since 89, Born and raised in Orlando) the process and understanding Henny drafted the best players at the picks we had. I also understand no one is just going to hand us over a star.

Aaron Gordon is projected to be an possible all star. He's in year 3 this up coming season after getting considerable minutes last season. Mario is only in year two and the potential for him to be good is definitely there. The draft experts, can't exactly say who, said he probably would've gone number 2 in this draft.

Vuc pre Skiles was considered an up and coming big who was getting consideration to be an all star. He's not even in his prime yet.

Finally, it's not even July 1st yet. Chill and see man. The process sucks at the time but that usually means good things will come.

Honestly... And nobody really wants to hear this... But, I'm all for fielding a team that will finally be back on the up swing in the East when LeBron is done playing basketball... I get the frustration and I get the feeling of impatience, but Gordon will probably wind up being just behind Wiggins as the best player in his draft class and Hezonja could wind up as high as top 3 in his class behind Towns and Porzingis