Sign in to follow this  
Air Gordon

2016 Playoffs Thread

95-96 Detroit Red Wings with the most regular season wins. Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup.

07-08 New England Patriots with the most regular season wins. New York Giants win the Super Bowl.

1906 Chicago Cubs and 2001 Seattle Mariners tied for most regular season wins. Chicago White Sox beat the Cubs and New York Yankees beat the Mariners in the World Series.

15-16 Golden State Warriors with the most regular season wins. Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA Finals.

The 95-96 Bulls used to be the exception for basketball, but not anymore.

I am GSW fan, but better team won, Lebron earned thisone. GSW wasnt playing their best, and dirty plays from Green through the playoffs were really something that made me think less of them. Hope they recover fast and put up an even better season and get it done next year.

Wonder if LeBron leaves now. He's filled his obligation

I hope not. "Hey, guys, this one is for you. ONE. Be content with that for another 52. Peace." Just real weak. Bring in some more talent and go for two or three more. Close out your career there.

I thought there were some very questionable calls/non-calls at the end; and I'm sorry but Lebron's great "block" was a goal-tend, he trapped it against the backboard - by definition that is a goal tend. There was also a non-call when Curry was shooting a three in the last two minutes. I thought those two plays specifically impacted the momentum at the time, and probably the result of the game.

I thought there were some very questionable calls/non-calls at the end; and I'm sorry but Lebron's great "block" was a goal-tend, he trapped it against the backboard - by definition that is a goal tend. There was also a non-call when Curry was shooting a three in the last two minutes. I thought those two plays specifically impacted the momentum at the time, and probably the result of the game.

no, they freeze-framed it. he got there before it hit the backboard

If Lebron wants to keep winning he should stay in Cleveland with Irving and Thompson, as they are two great running mates. Regardless, Cleveland should look to trade Love. Adding someone like Deng or Williams through free agency, both who can stretch the floor and defend, would make them even tougher.

Lue and Jefferson deserve a major shout out. Lue produced bold line-ups, including playing Jefferson, who somehow played like he was 25 again.

no, they freeze-framed it. he got there before it hit the backboard

Yes, but he didn't just hit it off the backboard, he trapped it against the backboard, that makes it a goal-tend.

Yes, but he didn't just hit it off the backboard, he trapped it against the backboard, that makes it a goal-tend.

Only way it's a goal tend is if the ball had hit the backboard first. Trapping a ball against the backboard is not a goal tend. It was an helluva block.

Only way it's a goal tend is if the ball had hit the backboard first. Trapping a ball against the backboard is not a goal tend. It was an helluva block.

Rule no. 11, section f

Section I-A Player Shall Not:

a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.

EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.

b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.

c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

Edited by jmmagicfan

Rule no. 11, section f

Section I-A Player Shall Not:

a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.

EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.

b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.

c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

You really need to watch it again. He hit the ball first not simultaneously against the backboard and his hand immediately came off due to Lebrons momentum taking him forward. The last sentence in bold is exactly what happened.

Your missing the part in the rule where it states the ball hits the backboard at the same time (simultaneously) as the hand is what determines a goal tend. His hand hit the ball first. Even if he hits the ball first then pins it against the backboard for a sec and poses for a photo op, it's still a legit block.