Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

How is unintentionally being bad better than intentionally? If its unintentional it probably means you're now saddled with some bad contracts

Or rebuilding after trading a superstar who demanded a trade under the ugliest of conditions. I think it's amazing how quickly everyone forgets the dysfunction that Henny inherited when taking over GM responsibilities. We were easily the hottest mess of a franchise in the NBA at that time if you all remember. Terrible roster, no cap space, no coach, no up and coming players, no superstar, rookie GM...it was an absolute train wreck

• Upvote 1

Or rebuilding after trading a superstar who demanded a trade under the ugliest of conditions. I think it's amazing how quickly everyone forgets the dysfunction that Henny inherited when taking over GM responsibilities. We were easily the hottest mess of a franchise in the NBA at that time if you all remember. Terrible roster, no cap space, no coach, no up and coming players, no superstar, rookie GM...it was an absolute train wreck

Yep. But still some people think we should be a contender by now, it makes me laugh.

In regards to tanking, like it or not, short term 'tanking by design' can be beneficial. I agree that prolonged tanking can have a negative effect, it can build a losing mentality, or more importantly, make it quite hard to start to build a winning mentality. But there are definite benefits in some situations. If we went out and got some vets and didn't purposefully play the young guys, we would have been stuck in mediocrity for longer. We wouldn't have got any good draft picks to bring in some talent to build around, we would have been stuck just outside the playoffs trying to sneak in, all the while having an old roster with no superstar or no young talent. In our situation, a tank by design was a good strategy to slingshot our rebuild and speed it up. Imagine where we'd be if we brought in a few vets and ended up with Larkin instead of Oladipo, then the next season Adrein Payne and James Young instead of Gordon and Payton then Sam Dekker instead of Hezonja. How would we ever get anywhere? NO notable free agents would ever consider signing and we'd almost be going backwards rather than forwards (you can't just keep signing mediocre vets year after year).

Seriously, nobody interested in this?

I think we will be better this year but still unsure we can make that 8th seed. Too many what ifs? need to actually happen. Plus I think Payton isn't what we need.

Point Guard is my only worry. If we had someone like George Hill or had the balls to start Augustin, I'd be VERY confident of us making the playoffs.

Just had a read, really good articles, I like how they give you a lot of numbers and not just bullcrap words. I liked these about Evan:

He is a more well-rounded scorer than he gets credit for being. He was just one of 12 players who scored 370 or more points and shot an effective field goal percentage of 59.1 percent on catch-and-shoots, according to NBA.com.

Additionally, only 21 players scored more points than his 311 on better shooting than his 47.1 percent on drives.

Only one player in the league did better on both catch-and-shoots and drives than Fournier: Stephen Curry. That’s not to say Fournier is Curry or anything, but it should give you an appreciation of his combined talents as a guy who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim or catch it and pop it.

Unfortunately for us our tank didn't go like Minnesota or Phillies did.

Just not our luck. We were bad but not bad enough it seems.

We've had our share of luck. We're building methodically now because we have to and it's Henny's style. Would've been great to land a #1 pick, but it's not like it guarantees anything (depending on the year)

Unfortunately for us our tank didn't go like Minnesota or Phillies did.

Just not our luck. We were bad but not bad enough it seems.

Im sure everyones opinion of need for tanking would change if another Shaq, Penny or Lebron was available in the draft. Not only would I suggest tanking but I would suggest double tanking.....those guys are once in a generation players that can be put on cheap 4 year deals while you assemble the team around them.

Im sure everyones opinion of need for tanking would change if another Shaq, Penny or Lebron was available in the draft. Not only would I suggest tanking but I would suggest double tanking.....those guys are once in a generation players that can be put on cheap 4 year deals while you assemble the team around them.

And we dumb lucked into two no brainer #1's and still have nothing to show for it

They were good reads. I think we had a good off season. We just need to resign Serge.