Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I so agree with this sentiment. tanking teams just build up a loser mentality that can never be overcome- they just get stuck in loserville. This is why teams like San Antonio, cleveland, golden state, okc, miami, and the clippers will never be any good- you cant tank and win.

Nice use of sarcasm

I so agree with this sentiment. tanking teams just build up a loser mentality that can never be overcome- they just get stuck in loserville. This is why teams like San Antonio, cleveland, golden state, okc, miami, and the clippers will never be any good- you cant tank and win.

San Antonio sucked for 1 year because David Robinson was injured, and had the fortune to draft Duncan to pair him with Robinson.

Cleveland, you mean the team that has only been relevant with 1 particular payer, and it took his 2nd go round with them after holding them hostage the first time and his 3rd attempt in the Finals with them to finally get a championship?

Golden State, you mean the team that has been a bottom dweller since the 70's despite constant high draft picks? Sorry, I don't really see ducking until 2046 as a viable strategy, nor a good example of how "tanking" in beneficial.

Clippers? You mean another perpetual bottom dweller who's peak was a couple playoff eliminations by the real conference contenders?

Miami, who were the benefactors of player collusion by 3 top 10 players in the league to join forces? Guess we can tank until LeBron, Durant, and Paul George all decide to come play for us.

Great examples! Totally the blueprint on how to build a successful franchise!

And of course, the 76ers are basically the model franchise of the NBA right now.

• Upvote 1

In terms of real cap room, Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders projects the Magic to be able to clear a maximum of $29.3 million in cap room next year. With $54.5 million in guaranteed salary for the 2018 season, and then adding in the $18.4 million cap hold for Serge Ibaka, the Magic’s cap number for the summer of 2017 is $72.9 million. This is where the $29.3 million in room comes in. That would be enough cap space to sign a max free agent if the salary cap projections remain in place.

Orlando could be another big player in free agency next summer. And if the team makes the Playoffs and shows promise that could make the Magic players again — never mind that Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon both become restricted free agents following the 2018 season. And the Magic can still use a lot of those expiring contracts — along with Nikola Vucevic or some other player on the roster that might have value — in trades during the season to improve the team. This flexibility is important to keep in mind and to have.

The Magic pushed all in to make the Playoffs this season with their free agency moves. But they have kept themselves open for another pivot in the future. There was no scorched earth.

If the Magic make the Playoffs in 2017, they will have the ability to add to the roster. If the Magic need to add pieces and players before the trade deadline, they have some movable contracts to do that. If the Magic fail to make the Playoffs in 2017, regardless of what the team does with the front office, they can still pivot quickly. They should not be stuck with a bad roster. There will still be opportunities to improve the roster and make another Playoff push in 2018.

http://orlandomagicd...-room-for-2017/
  • Upvote 2

San Antonio sucked for 1 year because David Robinson was injured, and had the fortune to draft Duncan to pair him with Robinson.

Cleveland, you mean the team that has only been relevant with 1 particular payer, and it took his 2nd go round with them after holding them hostage the first time and his 3rd attempt in the Finals with them to finally get a championship?

Golden State, you mean the team that has been a bottom dweller since the 70's despite constant high draft picks? Sorry, I don't really see ducking until 2046 as a viable strategy, nor a good example of how "tanking" in beneficial.

Clippers? You mean another perpetual bottom dweller who's peak was a couple playoff eliminations by the real conference contenders?

Miami, who were the benefactors of player collusion by 3 top 10 players in the league to join forces? Guess we can tank until LeBron, Durant, and Paul George all decide to come play for us.

Great examples! Totally the blueprint on how to build a successful franchise!

And of course, the 76ers are basically the model franchise of the NBA right now.

I mean, I could have named pretty much every team in the league if you wanted me to, since pretty much every team in the league has, at one point, tanked. Does that mean every situation was similar? That there is a singular path for us to the top? No. Does it mean that tanking will guarantee success? No.

But you cannot at the same time discount tanking when every successful team in the past 10 years has tanked. If it builds this losing cuture that you claim it does, then where is the proof? Why did tanking not destroy the spurs when the tanked a year to get Duncan? Why did Cleveland just win the championship when most of their players were gotten when the team tanked?

There are plenty of teams that have tried not to tank, have tried to bring in vets to win, like the Knicks and the Nets. Where is their success? The truth is that the draft is one of the only ways to bring in young, top tier, cheap, and controlled talent. The best talent is normally at the top of the draft. Unfortunately, this means you have to suck, unless you are like Boston who has the Nets to suck for them, if you want a chance at that top talent.

Were we successful in getting that top talent? We will have to see. But us trapped to suck forever because we tanked? Give me a break.

San Antonio did not purposefully tank. They already had pieces, and had an unfortunate injury that gave them a bad year to get a top pick to pair with their already Hall of Fame center. It was a fluke form of fortune.

Cleveland's pieces acquired via "tanking" didn't do anything for them until they signed a top 3 all time player, and then traded for another star talent to go along side him. Their pieces weren't acquired via "tanking". Outside of Kyrie, every key piece on that roster was brought in from the outside via trades or free agency.

Golden State has won ONE championship in 30+ years of total ineptitude. The fact that you even attempt to use them as a positive example of tanking is an absolute joke.

I could name off just as many teams who go through the "tanking" strategy and stay in NBA purgatory for decades.

Losing seasons because you're just not good is one thing.

But to purposefully tank is an absolute joke of a strategy for a professional sports franchise, and one that I will never lend support to.

San Antonio did not purposefully tank. They already had pieces, and had an unfortunate injury that gave them a bad year to get a top pick to pair with their already Hall of Fame center. It was a fluke form of fortune.

Cleveland's pieces acquired via "tanking" didn't do anything for them until they signed a top 3 all time player, and then traded for another star talent to go along side him. Their pieces weren't acquired via "tanking". Outside of Kyrie, every key piece on that roster was brought in from the outside via trades or free agency.

Golden State has won ONE championship in 30+ years of total ineptitude. The fact that you even attempt to use them as a positive example of tanking is an absolute joke.

I could name off just as many teams who go through the "tanking" strategy and stay in NBA purgatory for decades.

Losing seasons because you're just not good is one thing.

But to purposefully tank is an absolute joke of a strategy for a professional sports franchise, and one that I will never lend support to.

Again, we didn't tank...we sucked. That's what happens when you trade away a franchise player and rebuild