Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Uh.

We didn't give up squat for him? I'm thrilled, no reason to worry about a 2nd rounder in 2019. I know it's a bit less cap room, but this could be helpful in a future trade, even if its not until February.

Okay, maybe not thrilled. More like relieved.

Guessing he plays more SG small ball lineups being that we already have 3 other guards and just lost our starting sg.

I like that we will only be offering one max now though.

I think it was "JAMAL CRAWFORD IS EXPECTING HOW MUCH???"

***** that, lets just trade for poor man's jamal Crawford.

Jodie meeks didn't play the whole season because of a foot injury.

comes in during the season finale, drops 20.

probably a 17 mpg pg/sg bench scorer. 8 ish ppg. maybe some games where he goes off.

Uh.

We didn't give up squat for him? I'm thrilled, no reason to worry about a 2nd rounder in 2019. I know it's a bit less cap room, but this could be helpful in a future trade, even if its not until February.

Okay, maybe not thrilled. More like relieved.

Over all it is not an awful move, since he will be coming off the books next year, and could be an ok bench player if healthy- but he has only played 63 games the past 2 years and Detroit has been trying to get rid of him.

We should have gotten more, I think.

This trade doesn't make much sense to me. Why did we just take on more salary without giving any back? Probably doesn't hurt us much either way if we are punting getting a real max player for next year, but you think we could at least get rid of some dead weight- or get something back for getting that salary off of Detroit's books.

Are we just Detroit's landfill now, where they throw unwanted players?

we have theoretical cap space this year, next offseason, and early 2018 before we have to pay Gordon and payton.

in this market where everyone wants a big deal, guys like Austin Rivers are looking for 4/32 type deals. getting 3 or 4 of those guys totally kills our future cap space.

we have something like 39 million remaining this summer. we could sign one max guy, fill the rest of our roster with expiring contracts, and only have to dump vucevic to have enough room for another max guy in 2017.

It also means to me that Rob isn't going to overpay for an injured and or an unhighly significant impact player just to do something.

He values the ability to do something when the time is right rather than some lateral move that takes away the opportunity to capitalize when the right moment comes.

• Upvote 1

It also means to me that Rob isn't going to overpay for an injured and or unhighly significant impact player just to do something.

He values the ability to do something when the time is right rather than some lateral move that takes away the opportunity to capitalize when the right moment comes.

right. the #2 goal of this offseason is not throw a bunch of money at role players just because there's a bidding war and a rising cap. let other teams do that.

It also means to me that Rob isn't going to overpay for an injured and or unhighly significant impact player just to do something.

That makes him better than at least half, if not more, of the other GMs in the league already.

• Upvote 1

we have theoretical cap space this year, next offseason, and early 2018 before we have to pay Gordon and payton.

in this market where everyone wants a big deal, guys like Austin Rivers are looking for 4/32 type deals. getting 3 or 4 of those guys totally kills our future cap space.

we have something like 39 million remaining this summer. we could sign one max guy, fill the rest of our roster with expiring contracts, and only have to dump vucevic to have enough room for another max guy in 2017.

I understand and agree, it just seems like this is a bit of a salary dump on Detroit's part- and usually you can get something back for those even if you are potentially getting back a playable player in the deal.

Honestly, he is probably just going to act as a cap hold for next year.

right. the #2 goal of this offseason is not throw a bunch of money at role players just because there's a bidding war and a rising cap. let other teams do that.

Yep, if teams get into bidding wars this year and throw money at players because they can- and we sit back and make smart moves, we will be in a better position next year just based on the fact that we didn't go crazy this year.

Yep, if teams get into bidding wars this year and throw money at players because they can- and we sit back and make smart moves, we will be in a better position next year just based on the fact that we didn't go crazy this year.

yup.

however, if we don't get somebody worth building around this offseason with the status of ibaka you all have full permission to be pissed.

Cant go into next year with payton-fournier-hezonja-gordon-ibaka-watson-meeks-salary dump-salary dump-vucevic-dedmon-shabazz-zimmerman-marble and expect to retain ibaka.