Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Jamal Crawford...Thoughts?

I'd take him, nice backup 3 pt shooter. Little older (37) But def a veteran wing player. And if for anything so he can't kill us anymore.

What direction would you like to see Henny go now after the Ibaka trade?

I like the base that Henny has now got with the addition of Ibaka, having most major holes now filled (rim protection, and now with Oladipo gone and more minutes for Evan and Mario, more outside shooting). We are still lacking a star and I'm not sure we'll find one with what's available this off season. I don't want to see us sign someone like a Horford to a max deal and then have nothing left after resigning guys next season, because that won't be enough to push us into a contender category IMO. Horford is 30, he has already started a bit of a decline, but even ignoring that, he doesn't have many years left. Unless we are sure we'll have cap flexibility and the ability to add to that core in the future I'd rather stay away from Horford and keep the money and try and land a star next season. There is going to be a lot of money thrown around this off-season and giving someone like Horford the max and locking him in long term isn't a great move down the track (short term it will secure playoffs but I want more than just getting there).

If we can sign someone that is a bit younger and a good fit then I'm all for it, I just don't think we'll find anyone really good that fits the bill. I'd rather us just get some older short term vets that can help with some outside shooting and toughness and just hand the keys over to AG and Mario and see what they can build on, then next off-season go for broke on one of the stars available and if we can't get one, use the money to secure whatever need we deem to be most important after this season.

If we are confidant that Ibaka can be our Center than I'm definitely all for trading Vuc. Something like Vuc/Payton for a better PG or Vuc/Evan for a better SF. Playing him off the bench in a Kanter type role would just hurt is value and likely upset him anyway, then if he demands a trade we'll get a lot less for him than we would now (Vuc has a pretty good rep around the league, I'm not sure his glaring defensive issues are that obvious to a lot of people outside Orlando). If Ibaka isn't our Center going forward then I see some issues with an AG-Ibaka-Vuc front-court, unless AG develops his outside shot A LOT more, we're going to have issues because of the way the NBA has moved.

Being new, just a few things I'd like to give my 2 cents on.

Vic for Serge. Emotions made this move hard at first but now I'm completely on-board and it was a great team-need move. We would have had to give Vic a max this season if we kept him and I'm not sure that would have been a good move. I love Vic but I think he was a little overrated by some. He played great D but couldn't shoot consistently enough or get to the line enough. He will play well in a new role at OKC but I think we will see that he can never be the main man for a franchise. It's much easier to find a similar SG than it is to find a guy like Serge.

Evan. Although I rate him pretty highly I'm a bit worried that we are going to be forced to over-pay for him this offseason. I wouldn't be upset to see him walk if one of the other cashed up franchises throw the cheque book at him.

Vogel. Like everyone else, I think it was a great move. Didn't really need to mention it here, but just wanted to throw my support in!

Cap space I don't want to see it wasted on a guy like Horford who is 30 and his best years behind him. I'd rather keep it for next seasons FA pool if we can't use it well enough this season (which I don't think we can, a couple vets here or there but nothing I'd like to see us blow the budget on). Conley would be a decent get but I don't think we'd be able to get him. Don't want Barnes, I think he is so overrated. Don't want Parsons. Don't want DeRozen for this roster, he's not coming anyway. Batum is intriguing but I don't think we'd be able to get him either way, and I don't think I'd want to pay him what you would have to pay to get him in the first place. I think there is going to be stupid money thrown around this offseason and I don't want to see us be one of those teams that waste it.

Vuc. I'm worried about a front-court of AG-Ibaka-Vuc, especially with Payton (unless AG has improved his outside shot by a good margin). I'm all for moving Vuc for something more valuable for our team. Unless we see AG as a 3 and Vogel thinks he can make that front-court work (he could help Vuc with his D quite a bit I think). I'd personally love to see us play a smaller more athletic front-court of Evan-AG-Ibaka, I think with the way the NBA is moving that would be great to see. Sign a solid back-up C like Mahinmi for those tough match-ups (there aren't that many dominant big Centers like there use to be). If keeping Vuc means that AG comes off the bench and limits his development than I'd rather see us move Vuc on, I think it's time to start AG and give him big minutes to develop.

Three of his last 11 games he put up 30.

Makes no sense with his age

I don't think anyone would be mad about bringing him in on a 3 year dea (team option on third). Hard to think of him playing till he's 39 but he keeps himself in amazing shape and I don't think he'lll ever not be able to score. It's just in his blood. I have no problem with him solidifying the bench on a reasonable contract.

Using AG at the 3 makes a lot more sense if you have a PG that can shoot.

Conley

Fournier

AG

Ibaka

Vuch

Looks good to me. Either way, we need depth at SF & another PF & C. I'm hoping Zimmerman can be a 3rd big.

I don't think anyone would be mad about bringing him in on a 3 year dea (team option on third). Hard to think of him playing till he's 39 but he keeps himself in amazing shape and I don't think he'lll ever not be able to score. It's just in his blood. I have no problem with him solidifying the bench on a reasonable contract.

Yup. Him being this good at 37 makes no sense

Im cool with giving Barnes a max if we move or bench vuc.

Me too.

I just wish I knew where Vogel & Rob see AG. SF? PF? Do they want to go AG/Ibaka/Vuch? Or are they wanting a Barnes/Batum at SF with Ibaka and Vuch (AG as a sum)? Or are they wanting Barnes/Batum with AG and Ibaka and trading Vuch or bringing him off the bench?

So much to consider it's making my head spin.

Payton/Watson/Napier

Hezonja/Fournier

Gordon/Fournier

Ibaka/Gordon

Vucevic/Ibaka/Dedmon

Seems to me that is the 9 that get playing time as it stands now.

Hezonja and Gordon have to get major minutes this year. If those two picks do not pan out, this rebuild does not work. Payton is in that boat to a lesser extent.

If Fournier is getting max money I do not think he should be back. Locking that money up in Fournier means we are completely committed to this rebuild working and I do not see that as a certainty.