Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I'm dumb on how this works, so can you explain it? What are the rules on how long someone can stay in the d-league before someone else can sign them? I know Marble went back and forth from there last season.

I really wish the NBA had a system like the NHL or MLB where you could draft a guy and let them develop for a couple years before you have to call them up to keep their rights.

If they're signed to our roster we can send them to the d-league without losing their rights. Otherwise they're free game.

We've been informally retaining the rights to players through a gentleman's agreement lately where we sign a guy to give them money, waive them, then sign them to our d-league team. In return, they don't pursue other opportunities. This is what we did with appling and Jordan Sibert last year

If they're signed to our roster we can send them to the d-league without losing their rights. Otherwise they're free game.

We've been informally retaining the rights to players through a gentleman's agreement lately where we sign a guy to give them money, waive them, then sign them to our d-league team. In return, they don't pursue other opportunities. This is what we did with appling and Jordan Sibert last year

So if theyre signed to the roster and then sent to the d-league they count as a roster spot?

I'm watching Zimmerman's highlights and they have me pumped. Moves really well for a 7 footer

Ha I was literally just doing the same thing. Even though I've already seen every video on yourtube of him.

Awe I see. Alright thanks. Seems like we drafted Zimmerman with the intention that we probably won't retain Nicholson & Dedmon. Maybe I'm wrong. But he will be a much cheaper option. Here's to hoping he has a good summer league.

Ha I was literally just doing the same thing. Even though I've already seen every video on yourtube of him.

Awe I see. Alright thanks. Seems like we drafted Zimmerman with the intention that we probably won't retain Nicholson & Dedmon. Maybe I'm wrong. But he will be a much cheaper option. Here's to hoping he has a good summer league.

You'd think we'd keep him. He's going to be cheap, he's young, he's a top 15 high school recruit. That's the guy you want to develop.

However he had a weird season so who knows.

You'd think we'd keep him. He's going to be cheap, he's young, he's a top 15 high school recruit. That's the guy you want to develop.

However he had a weird season so who knows.

Yea I know he had a couple nagging injuries that slowed him down. McDonals All-American. I Think ESPN had him ranked the 12th recruit in the nation and Rivals 11th. He was recruited by all the big dogs (Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA). He probably should have gone to Kentucky because he could have played 10mpg there and still been a first round pick.

From Sports Illustraded:

Said one NBA Scout: "Zimmerman is the rare center who can shoot jumpers and block shots. He’s a lefty, who is comfortable facing up and shooting from midrange out to the three-point line. Zimmerman is a good athlete with some bounce, and can get up and down the floor. He has potential as a rim protector as well, and looks worthy of a late first–round selection. A guy with his athleticism and length, at the very least he’ll be an NBA player, He has those tools and is figuring out how to put it together.”

From nbadraft.net

Overall: Zimmerman has the chance to be an impact player down the line in the NBA. Shows flashes of being able to make exceptional plays at both ends ... He averaged 8.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game as a freshman while shooting 46.3% from the field ... He has some very intriguing skill sets that NBA teams are looking for these days in their bigs including passing, midrange shooting, ball handling, and pick-and-roll IQ on both ends ... His length was a major factor in finishing plays around the rim and blocking shots despite not being an elite vertical leaper ... Although he possesses solid physical characteristics for the NBA, he desperately needs to fill out his frame and add lower body strength to be more effective playing against NBA big men in the post on both ends ... Also needs to be more consistent in his approach and play with more tenacity at times to maximize his potential as an NBA player

I think Rob knew this was his guy when he fell to us in the second. First round talent with high upside.

I dunno man he looks slow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRueOIQZ6ts

He moves good for his size. I haven't read an evaluation of him yet where they questioned his quickness or athleticism, those are actually plus areas of his.

His weaknesses are the usual with a prospect like him; needs to put on weight, needs to embrace contract more etc.

Memory is a funny thing. Look at the stats. The team played well during that time, but that was also Fournier's worst stretch of the season in terms of scoring.

That stretch was also not at the start of the season. It was 30 something games in that it happened. Also it was short lived, as Vic played great like 5 games. Fournier was very bad during that stretch. Victor played well the rest of the season with a few great games . Evan was wildly up and down after Vic returned to starter with some great scoring efforts sprinkled in.

That stretch was also not at the start of the season. It was 30 something games in that it happened. Also it was short lived, as Vic played great like 5 games. Fournier was very bad during that stretch. Victor played well the rest of the season with a few great games . Evan was wildly up and down after Vic returned to starter with some great scoring efforts sprinkled in.

No, we're discussing the 18 games from 11/25 to 12/30 where Fournier averaged 11.3 ppg on 41% shooting but we went 13-5

(And Oladipo was on the bench)

Before that, Fournier put up 19 ppg on 46% shooting (with Oladipo in the lineup)

After the Cleveland game when Oladipo went back into the starting lineup Fournier averaged 16 ppg on 48% shooting.