Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I'll save my praises for Vogel if he shows results. A winning record from the start of the season to February would suffice. A winnin record in January most of all.

Somewhere in the heart of the main offices of the NBA, someone is currently upset they didn't rig the Draft Lottery for us.

:shard:

I'll save my praises for Vogel if he shows results. A winning record from the start of the season to February would suffice. A winnin record in January most of all.

He's not a miracle worker. Henny still has more work to do to get this team some real talent.

Vogel won't fix the shortcomings of this roster, that's on Rob. He will however get all he possibly can out of the current flawed roster we have.

He's not a miracle worker. Henny still has more work to do to get this team some real talent.

I won't put it all on the coach. The players play majority of the role here as always.

For whatever it is worth...

@MagicalNBA is saying on Twitter, basically, that the contract numbers were agreed to in principle Monday, but Magic wanted to do their due diligence and give guys like Griffin and others a HC interview, because apparently it can carry a bit of clout when/if they get other HC interviews.

He says that Vogel met with DeVos family and front office last weekend.. met with Henny on Monday in New York.

For whatever it is worth...

@MagicalNBA is saying on Twitter, basically, that the contract numbers were agreed to in principle Monday, but Magic wanted to do their due diligence and give guys like Griffin and others a HC interview, because apparently it can carry a bit of clout when/if they get other HC interviews.

He says that Vogel met with DeVos family and front office last weekend.. met with Henny on Monday in New York.

That makes no sense at all. Imagine if you're Vogel and someone does that to you. Dude just wants to justify his incorrect guess that we had him on Monday.

What really happened is that we interviewed everyone of interest and then reached out to Vogel to negotiate a contract.

• Upvote 1

Here's really what happened.

An Indiana writer mentioned on Friday that Vogel was flying to Orlando. Thus magical and everyone starts using that information to come up with their own stories.

Then we have a couple Robbins blurbs and the woj story from Wednesday to build other items around.

The salary was always going to be 3-5 years and 5-7 million per year based on comparable contracts.

If you keep things vague enough you can never be wrong. That's where markee went wrong. You never give explicit numbers. You say "in the neighborhood of 4/24". You never give concrete dates. You say "the team hopes to have a deal done at some point within a week".

This is where ping screws up too. He hears "the magic are interested in Griffin too but prefer Vogel" and "Vogel has some interest in Memphis but prefers Orlando" and thinks "oh, this franchise sucks so I bet they're going to lose out and go for Griffin" when everyone else who's been in a few of these realizes this was a negotiation ploy to create a sense of urgency and competition. This is what car salesman do when they pull the "man this model has been flying off the lot, I don't think it would still be here if you come back tomorrow" trick.

Everything about being an "insider" is taking the minuscule pieces of legitimately correct data and reading between the lines to project further.

In other news, Boston was rumored to want to trade the Brooklyn pick for Okafor and it makes even more sense now for both teams (since Boston didn't jump to the top 2)

Philly could end up with

#3 Pick (Jamal Murray because of the shooting?)

???

Ben Simmons

Dario Saric

Noel / Embiid

In other news, Boston was rumored to want to trade the Brooklyn pick for Okafor and it makes even more sense now for both teams (since Boston didn't jump to the top 2)

Philly could end up with

#3 Pick (Jamal Murray because of the shooting?)

???

Ben Simmons

Dario Saric

Noel / Embiid

No way Simmons and Saric can coexist. They're both point power forwards. But that's a pretty good looking group of assets.

No way Simmons and Saric can coexist. They're both point power forwards. But that's a pretty good looking group of assets.

Also rumored is Phoenix's interest in Saric, giving Philly the #4 pick. So they could do that instead of the Okafor move