Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

In regards to Vogel not getting the Pacers a championship, they did lose to the Heat in the conference finals two years running (4-3 and 4-2). He had a budding Paul George leading the way, with some decent players supporting him in Hibbert, Stephenson, West, Hill and co. But those Heat teams had LeBron playing like the superstar he is, supported by star talent in Wade and Bosh, plus some decent supporting players. If his Pacers team had got past them, and they nearly did the first time, they could very well have won a championship if they could have beaten the Spurs.

So to be fair to Vogel, his record with the Pacers is impressive. They went from losing in the first round in year one, to conference semis in year two, to consecutive finals appearances in years three and four. His fifth year was hurt by Paul George being out, but their record was tied with the Nets who went to the play offs as the 8th seed. And in his sixth year, a quasi rebuilding year, he did a good job getting them to the play offs and they were unlucky to lose to the Raptors. That seems as impressive a record as what Mark Jackson did in Golden State. Don't get me wrong, Jackson got the Warriors on the right track, but Vogel did the same with the Pacers.

I agree totally. I'm playing devil's advocate.

I'm a Buc fan and I know Buc fans who still think we won the ship not because of Gruden but because Dungy built it to that level.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 1m1 minute ago

Sources: J.B. Bickerstaff made a strong impression in Wednesday interview with Orlando, but Magic moving toward offer to Frank Vogel.

Dammit man make the move!

Week later, Magic are still moving to make a deal...

The hell?

I think this is probably "Diverse options of interviewees" PR.

Vanterpool? Griffin? It wouldn't make sense to do that at this point. There has to be some interest.

I agree totally. I'm playing devil's advocate.

I'm a Buc fan and I know Buc fans who still think we won the ship not because of Gruden but because Dungy built it to that level.

Both > either/or.

Or possibly interviewing potential assistants

I wouldn't rule that out but wouldn't Vogel want to bring on his own? Has there ever been a GM who chose the assistants instead of the coach?

Vanterpool? Griffin? It wouldn't make sense to do that at this point. There has to be some interest.

If you interview everyone on the market you're doing your due diligence. We get so few opportunities to have these interviews it makes sense to get as many candidates as possible. someone might surprise.