Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Heat signed SG Dion Waiters to a 1-year 2.9 million dollar deal.

That's a steal in this market

Sure, but would you want him on our team?

I half thought he would be in China next year.

Heat signed SG Dion Waiters to a 1-year 2.9 million dollar deal.

That's a steal in this market

it is and it isn't

Waiters is an unusual player because his strengths are in area's where there's always better options and his weaknesses are only outweighed when you completely buy in to him. So you're constantly treading between getting the most out of him and marginalizing other players or focusing on the team success and having a bad verson of Waiters.

Can't they basically do the exact same deal next year? Why do this now, financially speaking?

Otherwise, totally not surprised. Portland was shockingly good last year- I think they believe they have something good going on there (and there is a very good chance they are right).

waiting only matters for the top tier players. its too risky for guys in McCollum's class to try and game the market. Better to get that contract now and not worry about injury for the next 5 years.

So Portland saves a handful of money now and McCollum gets life changing money for his family guaranteed.

I was pretty sure we were going to do this with oladipo if we kept him.

Sure, but would you want him on our team?

I half thought he would be in China next year.

For the value sure I would. I'd rather pay Waiters 2.9M than Meeks 6M on one year deals. Otherwise no I wouldn't want him on the team

waiting only matters for the top tier players. its too risky for guys in McCollum's class to try and game the market. Better to get that contract now and not worry about injury for the next 5 years.

So Portland saves a handful of money now and McCollum gets life changing money for his family guaranteed.

I was pretty sure we were going to do this with oladipo if we kept him.

I was thinking more in terms of keeping cap space available next year. Basically, does this not cut into cap space they could have used next year to sign a free agent? (since they could sign McCollum over the cap). I tried to look at their cap situation for next year, but the site (hoopshype) didn't seem to have all of the correct # for next year.

For the value sure I would. I'd rather pay Waiters 2.9M than Meeks 6M on one year deals. Otherwise no I wouldn't want him on the team

Why? For the role we need, Meeks is drastically better

I was thinking more in terms of keeping cap space available next year. Basically, does this not cut into cap space they could have used next year to sign a free agent? (since they could sign McCollum over the cap). I tried to look at their cap situation for next year, but the site (hoopshype) didn't seem to have all of the correct # for next year.

They really didn't have any space. Think they had like 5 million maybe if they cut ezili

ESPN summer forecast has ranked us as 13th in the East!!

Cavs

Celtics

Raptors

Pistons

Pacers

Hawks

Hornets

Wizards

Knicks

Bulls

Bucks

Heat

Magic

76ers

Nets

Opinions please..

Cavs

Celtics

Raptors

Pistons

Pacers

Hawks

Hornets

Wizards

Knicks

Bulls

Bucks

Heat

Magic

76ers

Nets

Opinions please..

They basically put everyone within 5 wins of what they did last year. Very shallow analysis

Cavs

Celtics

Raptors

Pistons

Pacers

Hawks

Hornets

Wizards

Knicks

Bulls

Bucks

Heat

Magic

76ers

Nets

Opinions please..

Probably pretty accurate. I think this message board far over values the moves we've made.