Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Schmitz and Bianchi. I don't know how they got to where they're at in life.

They got a choke hold on their positions a long time ago before the internet and the knowledge bar was raised. They watch sports like bystanders instead of academics. That's good enough for the average guy but not anyone who wants a phd level education of basketball.

Hate to play the lineup guessing game, but I think the Biyombo deal makes things just a little clearer. We've finally got good spacing, I expect to see at least 4 players with decent jumpers (at least from mid range, if not 3) on the floor at all times. Mainly this means we don't play Biyombo and Elf at the same time. One of them should come off the bench.

Elf

Fournier

Green

Ibaka

Vuc

Augustin

Meeks

Hezonja

Gordon

Biyombo

Since anyone in the SG - PF range can shoot on this team, I think anyone in that pack could be swapped out there. But I expect to see Elf always paired with the bigs that can shoot, and Augustin paired with the bigs who can't.

It would be fun and I think smart to see one of our long term investments like Gordon or Hezonja in at the starting 3 instead of Green. So hopefully that happens. I don't buy for a second that the contract sizes of Biyombo or Green are any indication of whether or not they start. The inflation from this year and the rookie contracts remaining make me think that we should all take contract size as absolutely no indicator of a player's value to this team. When Frye was one of the top earners on the team, he was frequently benched.

They got a choke hold on their positions a long time ago before the internet and the knowledge bar was raised. They watch sports like bystanders instead of academics. That's good enough for the average guy but not anyone who wants a phd level education of basketball.

Wow... that's pretty low there Payton.

You can't just say those guys made it because they tried to and happened to be at the right place right time?

Good for Nicholson

Free agent forward Andrew Nicholson has agreed to a four-year, $26 million deal with the Wizards, league source tells @TheVertical.

Wow... that's pretty low there Payton.

You can't just say those guys made it because they tried to and happened to be at the right place right time?

80's era sports writers are deficient in what I want from my sports writers almost universally.

That's why the good ones from that era stand out

Well that and because there wasn't much else. I mean Povtak?

I like Marc Daniels though.

80's era sports writers are deficient in what I want from my sports writers almost universally.

That's why the good ones from that era stand out

Would this be true for guys like Peter King... not to get off topic. But I think some of the old school cats bring a wealth of knowledge and history.

I'm not an expert. I'm just a fan who spent enough time on here learning from people smarter than me and decided to read up on Larry Coon's cba faq. The gap between my knowledge and someone with actual ties to teams or league executives like a Zach Lowe or some of the local bloggers you run into for some of these other teams is pretty large.

you do pretty good by me ...

Would this be true for guys like Peter King... not to get off topic. But I think some of the old school cats bring a wealth of knowledge and history.

Sure, guys like Bob Ryan

Good for Nicholson

Free agent forward Andrew Nicholson has agreed to a four-year, $26 million deal with the Wizards, league source tells @TheVertical.

Really happy for Nicholson.

Ok, so green and Hezonja are playing 16mpg each?

Hezonja can split minutes at SG, too. It's not like he's locked in at SF.

Is Vuc expendable now? Yes, for the right return. Should he be traded for the hell of it? Absolutely NOT.

Says Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider

Don't buy Vooch-Ibaka-Biyombo plan. Biyombo's least skilled of 3. Can you bring a $72 mill center off the bench? Trade him for a scorer.

also:

Do the Magic math: If reported prices and my calculations are correct, Orlando has spent $201 million in free agency....so far.

I KNOW I KNOW ... what does he know?

Can the Orlando Sentinel guys take one for the team and take a long walk off a short pier? I've never put any stock in them and never will. The Front Office's FIRST job is to tell all our new arrivals the same, each and every new year.

EDIT: LOL don't want to triple post.. here's some Jodie Meeks footage: