Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

should I start talking you guys off the ledge for the pending Harrison barnes max contract offer now or should I wait until it actually happens?

I know thats the likely acquisition lol...and the rest will be bench fillers

should I start talking you guys off the ledge for the pending Harrison barnes max contract offer now or should I wait until it actually happens?

Right who is better that's available? Personally I'd go after bazemore.

You don't think Golden State will match?

Id rather you let me jump

I know thats the likely acquisition lol...and the rest will be bench fillers

throwing a max at Barnes gives us the ability to still go after conley or Durant or Batum.

finding someone to take Watson gives us the ability to throw a max at barnes, retain Fournier, and still go after conley or Durant or batum (or whatever).

so we can offer Fournier the q-offer effectively keeping his rights (and cap hold), immediately throw a max offer at barnes, and see where the pieces fall from there.

then we toss out a payton-fournier-barnes-gordon-ibaka lineup with Watson-hezonja-vucevic main bench rotation in a worst case scenario

or

Conley-Fournier-barnes-Gordon-ibaka with payton-hezonja vucevic bench rotation in a best case scenario

doing this early prevents golden state from matching.

It might not even be barnes. it might be beal or another rookie contract guy. but us basically cutting ties with Nicholson says theres a plan to act aggressively. otherwise we could just offer Nicholson and retain his rights and then rescind the offer once we feel out the market.

You don't think Golden State will match?

if you offer fast enough, Golden State will be left evaluating their options and hesitate. losing barnes is worth a chance at Durant or even Batum.

but us basically cutting ties with Nicholson says theres a plan to act aggressively. otherwise we could just offer Nicholson and retain his rights and then rescind the offer once we feel out the market.

Maybe but not necessarily. It's also a quality thing to do if you know a guy isn't in your future and you want to give him every chance to find a good deal on the market without people wondering if we will match and they are wasting their time.

if you offer fast enough, Golden State will be left evaluating their options and hesitate. losing barnes is worth a chance at Durant or even Batum.

Given there is a 6 day moratorium followed by 48 or 72 hours a team has to official match an offer once the offer is accepted by the player post moratorium I think that is plenty of time for GSW to figure things out.

Maybe but not necessarily. It's also a quality thing to do if you know a guy isn't in your future and you want to give him every chance to find a good deal on the market without people wondering if we will match and they are wasting their time.

but you could just let them explore free agency on their own. if Nicholson finds a contract we just immediately say we aren't matching. ties up no money.

The benefit of Barnes is his versatility to play the 3 and 4 which is the benefit of Gordon. A Vuc move would have to come after or he basically becomes Marcin Gortat.

Given there is a 6 day moratorium followed by 48 or 72 hours a team has to official match an offer once the offer is accepted by the player post moratorium I think that is plenty of time for GSW to figure things out.

sure, but it depends on what Durant and other guys do. They might panic and just let Barnes go to preserve the cap space. it's happened a lot in the past.

plus the fact that Barnes just sucked in the finals and is probably only worth 16 million even in this environment.

I'm very torn on Barnes. I can't think of a player who had such terrible PER suddenly becoming really good, but also he's had good offensive and defensive ratings. His win shares are hard to gauge, considering what team he plays for. Again, I'm torn with him.