Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Skiles might actually be a better offensive coach than Vogel

Hard to say if that's on him. He's had 2 years of fully realized paul George. George hill is alright and David West was pretty good but there hasn't been a good offensive second option there.

has gotten the best out of Lance Stephenson, Roy Hibbert, and CJ miles.

Our offensive success the last 20 games didn't really make much sense so we'll see if that continues.

Don't know what we would move to get it, but the Lakers pick of apparently available

"I've now been told by two separate sources, even if the Lakers get the No. 1 pick, they're trading it," Cowherd said on The Herd. "They don't want to rebuild anymore. They want to get a star NBA player. They will call teams if they get the No. 1 pick and shop it around the league."

I think they will be wanting to target players like DeMarcus Cousins or Jimmy Butler, a current all star who is still ascending. I don't feel we have a player that they would see as a legitimate difference maker for their roster to get out of the rebuilding cycle. The best we could offer is Vucevic, though is he really the kind of center they want? Is he even worth their top three pick if they keep it via the lottery? I don't think they would go for that, and I don't think any of our other players would tempt them. The only scenario that might tempt them if they have no other takers is swapping first round picks and we send them Vucevic, but even then I think they would prefer to draft one of the top three players than accept one of ours...

Personally I think the Lakers would be better off drafting one of the top players in the draft and trying to build around an exciting young core of players. Then perhaps look to add to that through free agency with decent players if they are willing to come in and sign for them at this stage, something which may not happen if players decide to look at offers in other places.

"I've now been told by two separate sources, even if the Lakers get the No. 1 pick, they're trading it," Cowherd said on The Herd. "They don't want to rebuild anymore. They want to get a star NBA player. They will call teams if they get the No. 1 pick and shop it around the league."

I think they will be wanting to target players like DeMarcus Cousins or Jimmy Butler, a current all star who is still ascending. I don't feel we have a player that they would see as a legitimate difference maker for their roster to get out of the rebuilding cycle. The best we could offer is Vucevic, though is he really the kind of center they want? Is he even worth their top three pick if they keep it via the lottery? I don't think they would go for that, and I don't think any of our other players would tempt them. The only scenario that might tempt them if they have no other takers is swapping first round picks and we send them Vucevic, but even then I think they would prefer to draft one of the top three players than accept one of ours...

Personally I think the Lakers would be better off drafting one of the top players in the draft and trying to build around an exciting young core of players. Then perhaps look to add to that through free agency with decent players if they are willing to come in and sign for them at this stage, something which may not happen if players decide to look at offers in other places.

Yeah, we don't have the type of player LA wants for their pick.

The Lakers want to make an aggressive run at trading for Paul George this summer, and they’re willing to give up their 2016 first-round pick and more to Indiana, as HBO’s Bill Simmons hears (Twitter link). Such a proposal would be unlikely to sway the Pacers, Simmons concedes, and the Lakers won’t even have a first-rounder to offer if they slip out of the top three in the May 17th lottery, a scenario with a roughly 44% chance of happening.

It would probably require the inclusion of D’Angelo Russell to prompt the Pacers to consider any such offer, Simmons suggests, noting that Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird isn’t sentimental and will make a drastic move if he deems it necessary, as the uncertainty over Frank Vogel‘s job status demonstrates (Twitter links). George, a native of Los Angeles County, is under contract for at least two more years, with a player option worth more than $20.7MM for the 2018/19 season.

The Lakers reportedly offered last year’s No. 2 pick, which they ultimately used on Russell, to the Kings in trade talks about DeMarcus Cousins this past June. Lakers basketball operations chief Jim Buss faces a self-imposed deadline of next spring to have to turned around the franchise’s sagging fortunes, having said he’ll resign if he fails to accomplish that. The team was a franchise-worst 17-65 this past season.

Don't know what we would move to get it, but the Lakers pick of apparently available

Idk how i feel about this. I've long felt this will be our chance to bring in new talent for cheap when we're crushin it in the playoffs with no cap room. Now i feel like the lakers are purposely being so bad that we won't get the pick. We can't trade it until after the lottery right? Price goes wayy up if they drop out of the top 3

Idk how i feel about this. I've long felt this will be our chance to bring in new talent for cheap when we're crushin it in the playoffs with no cap room. Now i feel like the lakers are purposely being so bad that we won't get the pick. We can't trade it until after the lottery right? Price goes wayy up if they drop out of the top 3

if they go out of the top 3 then they don't have a pick. it goes to Philly and we have a good chance at getting the pick in 2018.

If they're good next year then philly gets their pick and we own their unprotected pick in 2019.

if they're bad again next year we probably don't get their pick.

It's possible we could still get their pick. This year they have .442 percent chance of losing their pick to the 76ers. So hopefully the lottery balls don't fall their way and they have to send their pick to the 76ers. At which point we would have the first crack at their 2018 first round pick, protected for selections 1-5; and if they still suck at that point, it becomes unprotected in 2019. So if the balls fall our way in the lottery this year, we should get that first round pick. If they don't fall our way, then we may end up missing out on that first round pick and getting a second round pick instead, which would be annoying.

Don't think we have any interest in and also think the Lakers have zero interest in anything we could give them for their pick this year. We're more likely to trade our own first than deal for someone else's, in my opinion

Tough to say, since we haven't gone through the lottery yet and we're not sure where everyone is picking. But keep an eye on the Magic. They'll probably end up picking 11th, and they have enough young players that someone at that draft position probably isn't going to move the needle for them. They want veterans, so I would expect them to look hard at a trade for a big name, especially given all the cap space they're set to have. They'll phone the usual suspects, I'm sure: The Kings (Cousins) and the Bulls (Butler), and maybe see what the Suns would want for Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight or Devin Booker.

http://www.coveritli...r=chronological