Sign in to follow this  
SiMON2g

Magic @ Charlotte

Mike Malone sure, Brian Shaw lol

I really wanted Malone over Vaughn. I was ok with Skiles and still am for the most part. I always thought no matter who took the position after Vaughn the coach after would be the "get us to the finals coach". It just takes so much to build a team that is stable I found it unlikely anyone could stay around long enough to develop and lead us to greatness.

We need a star who hangs around for a long time otherwise we're never gonna win a flippin championship

We have to decide not to allow 3's to beat us. Skiles needs to adjust to his players a bit and let's give them contested 2's for a change. Quit double teaming every possession and play it straight up. Sure we will give up some, but leads won't explode so quickly. Especially during scoring runs by opponents.

3's fuel offense in today's NBA, even Skiles knows this because they have our team making an effort to shoot more ourselves. Coach needs to realize that maybe he expects individuals to do too much on every play defensively. Even the best defensive teams play it straight up often because teams want to shoot 3's. Teams do this to us alot. Let Vucevic or whoever do what they want and play him straight up. Even the best offensive players miss half of their shots. Surprise them with double teams, because right now they just wait for it and swing the ball cross court to a wide open shooter or pass it around until they find a shooter that the help defender doesn't get back to in time, if at all. Yes, giving up 2's hurts, but a barrage of 3's is demoralizing. We are extremely predictable. We have smart players even though Skiles likes to say that they don't understand what to do. Maybe trust them a bit more and try something else.

I think that if Skiles cannot be more creative, he should be let go after the season. He is unreasonable, especially to young guys, who have not yet learned how to conserve the energy for such demands defensively. It's not the mindset of today's players, and takes a long time to learn and most never learn it. Good veterans know when to turn it on and how to have energy to sustain a semblance of good team defense the rest of the game. In the 80's and 90's you could play aggressive and push people around on D so that mindset was common. If you so much as play any defense, every bump or tap is a foul. Very quickly you get in trouble foul wise and you have to sit and break your game rhythm. Veterans have an easier time overcoming this than young guys like we have. Plus add that to the fact that Skiles has such a short leash which compounds the problem. It's easy to see why our guys are so slow to improve.

We went the polar opposite of JV, when we need a teacher who is not so heavy handed. SVG was that guy, but we fired him for no real reason. Skiles is not the guy. We have made one player better, Fourier, but asked the players we are building on to remodel their games entirely. It is glaringly obvious in the way Payton has regressed and how Tobias was dragged down. To an extent, it has not helped Vic and Vuc because they have just now begun to adapt to Skiles. But those growing pains were a root cause of the ungodly horrific January swoon.

If we don't adjust, we will lose. Yes, players must execute, but the coaches are definitely not without fault.

Another note. Games like this show how far AG still has to go, as this happens almost every other game with him. Hezonja has hit a wall. It's just too much for him to give the needed energy to be the 2-way player he is expected to become. This summer he has got to be stronger and in much better condition. He should not have this much trouble making open shots with great form. As young as AG, Mario, and our team is, they do not have unlimited energy no matter what coach thinks. Players get tired.

Great points.

We get abused by 3 pointers over and over again and the constant double teaming is just stupid in today's NBA. Portland had a field day against us.

I don't think Skiles is our biggest problem or even 2nd biggest problem. But he's still a problem

--

I want a younger coach with some energy that transmits that energy to the players and their style of play. Dropping a tear for Brad Stevens right now

I'm not all "Trust in Henny" but I think he's done a solid job despite our record and lack of growth here. People that say "well we suck 5 years later" I don't know what else or what one thing he really messed up on that has us still in this situation. This next year will be very telling though.

Found it refreshing to find someone that feels the same way I do.