Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official 2015-2016 Trade Thread

Just takes 1 team.

I'm excited for the rest of the year and this summer. I'm personally pulling for Jennings to get it back.

Perfect situation for Jennings to ball. He wants to get paid. Contract year. Hopefully that benefits us this year.

Perfect situation for Jennings to ball. He wants to get paid. Contract year. Hopefully that benefits us this year.

Let's take this a step further.

Say Jennings looks really good in Skiles system the rest of the way, and takes the majority of Payton's minutes, would you guys want to try and re-sign him? Or are most people committed to Payton despite his struggles?

We could still sign a guy like Jennings (or Conley for that matter) and have Payton under contract for a couple years while we decide the next step with him.

I personally would like to just see Payton be "that guy" but I'm just not sure.

Let's take this a step further.

Say Jennings looks really good in Skiles system the rest of the way, and takes the majority of Payton's minutes, would you guys want to try and re-sign him? Or are most people committed to Payton despite his struggles?

We could still sign a guy like Jennings (or Conley for that matter) and have Payton under contract for a couple years while we decide the next step with him.

I personally would like to just see Payton be "that guy" but I'm just not sure.

I wouldn't.

I just don't like achilles injuries. History is not kind for players with a history of ruptured Achilles. The only guy to come back from one successfully (that I know of) was Dominique Wilkins.

I wouldn't.

I just don't like achilles injuries. History is not kind for players with a history of ruptured Achilles. The only guy to come back from one successfully (that I know of) was Dominique Wilkins.

I mean, the only way we'd keep him if he was successful so that's not a good argument

I mean, the only way we'd keep him if he was successful so that's not a good argument

This. I also referenced Mike Conley. Basically just waging peoples commitment level to Payton. I think everyone (me included) wants Payton to be the guy, but I don't know how confident people are in him becoming said guy. I was always a Jennings fan, so I was probably more excited than most when we got him, even if it is just a rental.

I think whether we think about keeping Jennings is completely dependent on him, which is what you want. If he comes back to looking like an all-star caliber player like he was last year before the injury, you give him a contract, probably, as long as we make up a few games in the playoff race and the team looks good with him in there. He's still young. If the injury heals, it heals. Likely we'll he won't get any monstrous offers anyway, considering it would be less than half a year of stellar play, and there are at least three other starter-quality PGs out there this FA, like Conley, Rondo, Deron Williams. So yea, if he comes in looking great, the teams looks better with him in there, you pay him and play him, unless you have some star player lined up for that money. Maybe you push for a team option year two, depending on what kind of interest he's getting. But honesty, it is up to him to earn a contract.

Same for Ersan, by the way. We need a stretch 4 going forward, so if the team looks really good with him out there, you pay him his contract next year. Again, baring a huge star lined up.

Im not sure I understand what you mean.

We'll only resign Jennings if he blows us away and turns back into a good starting point guard. The issue with Achilles injuries isn't a threat to reinjure, it's a lack of athleticism.

Therefore the argument of resigning him (performance) already considers the Achilles injury so we shouldn't be concerned with it.

We'll only resign Jennings if he blows us away and turns back into a good starting point guard. The issue with Achilles injuries isn't a threat to reinjure, it's a lack of athleticism.

Therefore the argument of resigning him (performance) already considers the Achilles injury so we shouldn't be concerned with it.

I see what you're saying but even if he played great the next 2 months, I would still hesitate to commit to him for an extended contract beyond this year. He might play his ass off for the next 2 months, but because of the loss of his athleticism, he will probably start settling and will likely become inefficient once he gets paid.

He would have to play like a freaking all star. And if that happened, I guess it depends on the contract we give him and the length.

Its a contract year. It's hard to predict how he will play in the seasons following. But one thing we do know is that players achilles injuries do not appear to be smart investment for the future.

Interesting article about achilles injuries BTW:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/fantasy-basketball-today/25095586/history-not-kind-for-ruptured-achilles