Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official 2015-2016 Trade Thread

The thing I'm surprised about the most was the line from Zach Lowe's article that said Harris brings issues in the locker room. Maybe they knew that moving Harris to the bench would just cause more issues with their chemistry since they needed Fournier at the 3 and wanted to keep Gordon in the SL. Kind of interesting that they are also looking to move Frye given he and Tobias are cousins. I wonder how much grumbling there was between the two of them.

I'm guessing it was not a big issue and is being overstated slightly by Zach in the article as a "well maybe this factors in" tidbit. He didn't really emphasize the point and it seems like Harris got along with Vuc pretty well.

I'm guessing it was not a big issue and is being overstated slightly by Zach in the article as a "well maybe this factors in" tidbit. He didn't really emphasize the point and it seems like Harris got along with Vuc pretty well.

Hard to say. There was no perceptible pouting on the court but there was more ball movement when he didn't play. we average 22 assists per game this season. 29 with him out of the game. sample size though.

Like someone else stated, we still have our best assets (considering youth and contracts):

Gordon

Hezonja

Dipo

Payton

Vooch

Fournier

If a star does become available, we still could flip two of these guys and a pick to be a serious player.

Yes, the Harris-Vucevic frontcourt was unworkable -- it had been outscored by 10.9 points per 100 possessions this season, according to NBA.com/Stats. But Scott Skiles' endless lineup tinkering seemed to have hit on something with Harris playing small forward next to Aaron Gordon, an interchangeable lineup along the lines of what the Pistons envision. Paired with Vucevic, that duo had posted a plus-0.6 net rating in 302 minutes of action.

I also hope that the Magic don't view Jennings as a long-term solution at point guard rather than an expiring contract. As well as Detroit played with him on the court, and as healthy as he's looked, Jennings hasn't been the same player coming off a ruptured Achilles -- as is typical of one of the most devastating injuries an NBA player can suffer.

His usage rate is way down from its pre-injury heights, and because Jennings is making just 31 percent of his 3-point attempts, he hasn't enjoyed a corresponding boost in efficiency. As a result, he's rated as a below-average point guard this season.

Whether or not Ilyasova returns, Orlando now has the opportunity to clear max-level cap space this summer. But it's hard to see the Magic legitimately competing for the best players on the market as a lottery team with an ill-defined core. Below that top talent, there's a steep drop-off to a second tier of players likely to get overpaid because there's simply more money to go around than talent. I'd rather have Harris.

http://espn.go.com/n...an-ilyasova-nba

Here’s the other problem: According to data from Nylon Calculus’ Seth Partnow, Harris averages more points, rebounds and assists per 36 minutes while playing power forward rather than small forward. Gordon, who the Magic selected fourth overall in 2014, also happens to play power forward. Much like Harris, Gordon is a streaky long-range shooter, but he’s a far superior defender.

Ultimately, the Magic were forced to decide which of the two players to build around at the 4, as Hezonja projects as their small forward of the future. They rightly chose Gordon, who’s under team control through 2017-18 on a relatively affordable rookie deal. Though the structure of Harris’ new contract was unique—he’s set to jump from $16 million this season to $17.2 million in 2016-17 (when the salary cap will jump to roughly $90 million) before his salary then decreases by $1.2 million in each of the following two seasons—there’s not much sense in sinking that much money into a sixth man.

That said, the return for a 23-year-old on a reasonable multiyear contract was hardly ideal. The Magic should have pushed to receive at least one young prospect or future first-round pick in the deal, as both Jennings and Ilyasova could come off Orlando’s books in July, leaving them empty-handed in terms of long-term assets. Depending on where the salary cap falls—on Tuesday, ESPN.com’s Zach Lowe reported teams are now using an estimate of $92 million—the Magic could now have upwards of $40 million in cap space after moving Harris, according to Lowe. Until we see how they make use of that space, though, the deal is a head-scratcher.

http://bballbreakdow...ic-trade-value/

Jennings going to ball out? You don't even know if he'll last the rest of the season.

I just don't like the move, unless there's another one coming. That's not ignorance, that's a matter of an opinion.

I'm not looking for a quick fix, I just want a fix period. This move prolongs the rebuild. And no, it's going to be harder than you think to overpay Fournier, and max out multiple 2nd tiers. It's going to be real hard when we miss the playoffs again. When next season starts, we'll be a team, AGAIN, without a 1st tier player.

It's repetitive but expecting different results.

How do any of us know what or what not Jennings will do? This guy is still 26 and was finally getting what it meant to be a leader and PG for his team before the injury.

"This move prolongs the rebuild"

How?

Losing Harris doesn't set us back at all. He wasn't a difference maker at all this year. We played better with him out of the lineup. And take the cap space we cleared out of the equation, we still got 2 players that should help us win more this year. So winning more games this year = prolonging the rebuild?