Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

OFFICIAL GAMETHREAD: Magic @ Jazz

So one play call, which put the ball 3 feet away from the basket in one of our best offensive players hands, makes him a tier 3 coach and us lucky to win the game? Okay, now I understand.

No, im saying that one example of a bad play call shows some of the weaknesses in Skiles coaching ability and yes, we were fortunate not to lose the game because giving a team the ball down 2 with 14 seconds left when you could do nothing with the ball and give the other team the ball down 2 with 3 seconds left is bad coaching.

And stop acting like calling him a tier three coach is a bad thing. he's in the same grouping as spolestra and doc rivers.

Do you get pissed off when people dont act like your Toyota Camry is a Tesla?

No, im saying that one example of a bad play call shows some of the weaknesses in Skiles coaching ability and yes, we were fortunate not to lose the game because giving a team the ball down 2 with 14 seconds left when you could do nothing with the ball and give the other team the ball down 2 with 3 seconds left is bad coaching.

And stop acting like calling him a tier three coach is a bad thing. he's in the same grouping as spolestra and doc rivers.

Do you get pissed off when people dont act like your Toyota Camry is a Tesla?

Who said I'm pissed off? I simply disagree that one play call makes him a tier 3 coach...especially considering we should have won that game by 10+ points if the refereeing was even only slightly biased rather than blatantly and horrifically biased. I mean that game appeared fixed in the 4th, the Wolves literally got every call down the stretch.

Who said I'm pissed off? I simply disagree that one play call makes him a tier 3 coach...especially considering we should have won that game by 10+ points if the refereeing was even only slightly biased rather than blatantly and horrifically biased. I mean that game appeared fixed in the 4th, the Wolves literally got every call down the stretch.

Well you were obviously flippant.

Its not one play call. its one example of a common issue.

Maybe you're right. Maybe skiles is the second best coach in the nba behind popovich. Because that's what tier 2 means.

Would you have called him a tier 2+ coach before the season? Most people were against hiring Skiles because they considered him a mid-level NBA coach and would just be a holdover until a "real" coach is available.

The play call is a good example[\i] of bad late game play calling. Start that exact play ten seconds later and even with the miss you vastly increase you chances of closing the game out instead of relying on a missed free throw.

He could still become better and make his way up into that next tier, but he's probably not there now since his experience has been coming to bad teams an making them good again. No chance to tweak the next level stuff because he's caught up teaching players to win more games than they lose.

Would you have called him a tier 2+ coach before the season? Most people were against hiring Skiles because they considered him a mid-level NBA coach and would just be a holdover until a "real" coach is available.

The play call is a good example[\i] of bad late game play calling. Start that exact play ten seconds later and even with the miss you vastly increase you chances of closing the game out instead of relying on a missed free throw.

He could still become better and make his way up into that next tier, but he's probably not there now since his experience has been coming to bad teams an making them good again. No chance to tweak the next level stuff because he's caught up teaching players to win more games than they lose.

Sure. Skiles starts making really creative in game adjustments and wins games where half the team is injured and coaches us deep into the playoffs and he can totally move up into tier 2.

I dont know why this is such a controversial topic. Nobody would say today that "if i had to pick one coach to go up against popovich it would be skiles" or "Popovich just retired leaving the mantle of best coach in the NBA to Scott Skiles". Thus he's tier 3.

To add when we started the season and had all those close games Skiles also drew up pretty terrible late game plays which he then blamed on lack of practice. Inbound plays out of timeouts are something you should never do badly.

Tier 1- The greatest coach of all time

Tier 2- Definite Hall of fame coaches. Coaches with finals wins, deep playoff runs, or Frank Vogel who almost made the playoffs with a team whose best player was arguably CJ Miles.

Tier 3- Playoff coaches. Coaches with finals wins in good situations. Guys who are great motivators but have deficiencies in other areas but may be able to overcome those issues by being really good in other areas.

Tier 2- Definite Hall of fame coaches. Coaches with finals wins, deep playoff runs, or Frank Vogel who almost made the playoffs with a team whose best player was arguably CJ Miles.

Tier 3- Playoff coaches. Coaches with finals wins in good situations. Guys who are great motivators but have deficiencies in other areas but may be able to overcome those issues by being really good in other areas.

I think that's fair.

Skiles Tier 3 by this definition. Curious. For fun. Where would you put JV?

Defining the tiers certainly helps makes more sense of your assessment. If this is how we're defining tier 3 then I probably would have just agreed with you from the get go, lol. As an aside, what do you all think our record would be right now with a unanimous tier 1 coach like Pop? Just curious.

Skiles Tier 3 by this definition. Curious. For fun. Where would you put JV?

He'd have to be last place or close to last place. I don't have enough of a nuanced opinion to distinguish between him and Byron Scott.

At current pace, with a similar enough roster, Skiles is giving us a 20% boost over Vaughn.

Lets be conservative and say 50% of our new success is Skiles and 50% is internal improvement coupled with roster improvement (i.e. Smith over o'quinn, Shabazz over willie green, etc). That's 8 wins this year that skiles is responsible for. That's like adding a Paul Millsap or a Kyle Lowry to last years roster.