Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Gamethread: ORL @ CLE

This is what I have been wanting to see for a year now. Interested in what Skiles wants to do at 3 and 4.

Payton-Fournier-Gordon-Harris-Vucevic is -33.7 points per 100 possessions so far this year.

Payton-Fournier-Gordon-Harris-dedmon is -17.4 per 100 possessions this year.

Payton-Fournier-Harris-Frye-Vucevic is +28

Payton-Fournier-Harris-Nicholson-Smith is +58.

This tells us that Payton Fournier won't work with gordon.

If Oladipo can run the point in this offense, let's try it. I mean the guy is playing great defense and the main issue right now is him and Payton are a terrible combo. Payton is really good at pushing the ball though and he is a natural PG, so it will be interesting to see what Skiles does there. I feel like playing Oladipo at 1 is a temporary solution since he really is not a PG long term. This is why I wonder if he gets a chance to run the offense, but lets see.

I think Fournier returns to the guard spot, this has been expected for a while from me. Not sure if you can bench Harris, that will be interesting. Harris has played very efficient basketball in the post for us and he is one of our best rebounders.

If Skiles benched Vuc I would be real surprised. It would really big a huge sign to the direction of the team though. I look at what the cavs are doing with Thompson playing the 5 and being the guy doing the dirty work and wonder if the Magic would prefer that at the 5 spot.

Now if Nicholson gets vaulted into the starting lineup I will have to say that's pretty impressive. He has played very well, so who knows. But thats a heck of a leap - going from 12th man to starter.

The O and Drating gets pretty skewed the way we play defense. When you overload one side it is easy to get exposed if you are slow on rotations. They showed this again last night on ESPN, and it was not pretty to see how easily Lebron drew us in and then toasted us with passes to the corners.

This is why I was so impressed with Gordon. He was able to stay in front of Lebron and not require help from half our team, which helped cut down on those kick outs, the problem was that it was too late in the game for us to make a run when we have no shooters besides Evan.

If Oladipo can run the point in this offense, let's try it. I mean the guy is playing great defense and the main issue right now is him and Payton are a terrible combo. Payton is really good at pushing the ball though and he is a natural PG, so it will be interesting to see what Skiles does there. I feel like playing Oladipo at 1 is a temporary solution since he really is not a PG long term. This is why I wonder if he gets a chance to run the offense, but lets see.

I think Fournier returns to the guard spot, this has been expected for a while from me. Not sure if you can bench Harris, that will be interesting. Harris has played very efficient basketball in the post for us and he is one of our best rebounders.

If Skiles benched Vuc I would be real surprised. It would really big a huge sign to the direction of the team though. I look at what the cavs are doing with Thompson playing the 5 and being the guy doing the dirty work and wonder if the Magic would prefer that at the 5 spot.

Now if Nicholson gets vaulted into the starting lineup I will have to say that's pretty impressive. He has played very well, so who knows. But thats a heck of a leap - going from 12th man to starter.

The O and Drating gets pretty skewed the way we play defense. When you overload one side it is easy to get exposed if you are slow on rotations. They showed this again last night on ESPN, and it was not pretty to see how easily Lebron drew us in and then toasted us with passes to the corners.

This is why I was so impressed with Gordon. He was able to stay in front of Lebron and not require help from half our team, which helped cut down on those kick outs, the problem was that it was too late in the game for us to make a run when we have no shooters besides Evan.

I mean long term the answer is Watson, right?

Payton-Oladipo-Fournier-Harris-Vucevic is -15.2

Watson-Oladipo-Fournier-Harris-Vucevic is +43.3

Wait haven't we already concluded after his rookie year that Dipo playing point for long stretches is a bad idea? Hence the he was out of position his first year sentiment.

I'm sure he has improved since then but I'm not sold on putting Dipo at the point is good in the short or long term for anyone involved.

I mean long term the answer is Watson, right?

Payton-Oladipo-Fournier-Harris-Vucevic is -15.2

Watson-Oladipo-Fournier-Harris-Vucevic is +43.3

IMO, we don't necessarily have a longterm solution yet unless Payton gets his shot to drop.

Wait haven't we already concluded after his rookie year that Dipo playing point for long stretches is a bad idea? Hence the he was out of position his first year sentiment.

I'm sure he has improved since then but I'm not sold on putting Dipo at the point is good in the short or long term for anyone involved.

It's not good long term unless this offense can be run without a real point guard like some think. Skiles thinks differently as he has yet to roll out such a lineup. He always has Shabazz or Watson or Payton out there and has never played Victor at 1.

Vic at PG makes my eyes bleed but I'm willing to try anything

Oladipo at point means more ball handling responsibilities for Oladipo, Fournier, and Harris. Not necessarily that Oladipo would step in and try to be Payton.

The offense is different too. Skiles' offense has us making ~38 more passes per game.

So oladipo wouldn't be playing point guard. He would be playing "point guard"

IMO, we don't necessarily have a longterm solution yet unless Payton gets his shot to drop.

well long term as in day in and day out for the rest of this season.

i still think the proper approach is continuing to start payton and pushing through this for the rest of the year and playing watson or shabazz more when payton isn't performing.