Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Gamethread: MIN @ ORL

No, we are good now. This is a fun team to watch. I am thinking ahead, because I don't want to be a perennial 6-8 seed in the East. I just can't see how two bad shooters at the guard positions is a good thing in todays NBA.

Yeah, and when we plateau I think we'll make major changes.

Logically it doesn't make sense to strive for two bad shooters but sometimes it makes teams uncomfortable to play against a style they're not used to.

Like Georgia tech football. They're a pain in the ass to play every year because they are one of like 6 teams to run a triple option offense. It always catches teams off guard because everyone plays the spread or at least a pro style indicates with some spread tendencies.

Just an interesting experiment we can screw around with for the next year or two.

Yeah I dont hate it, I'm just always thinking ahead. Because I know Rob is too.The Magic want to win now. And they want major excitement going into next year. So I think we see some shuffling.

Obviously if get lucky and get Durant or a major FA, that would be incredible, but we'd still need to manage the cap and probably dump some contracts. It would be tough to resign Victor in that situation too.

I don't want to jump into the middle of someone else's argument but is it not a little contrary to on one hand criticise someone for using stats and not watching Evan Fournier play better at SG then flip it on its head when talking about another point (I think it's Vic's usefulness in the future you're debating?) and criticising for using the same eye test and NOT using stats.

I'm not going to even mention whether or not the stat's were better or worse. Just stating. It's making broad strokes one way, then the other way. So if my minor detail is off... it kind of doesn't matter.

I agree now that Victor isn't a star shooting guard (though I'd say there are only a couple star shooting guards and a lot of that is subjective)

I think Oladipo would be a useless sixth man on any team.

I think it remains to be seen if Oladipo and Payton are going to be good fits long term. If they become the best perimeter defensive guards in the league and Fournier and Harris continue to improve their three point shot, Vucevic also provides enough space that it might outweigh Oladipo and Payton's poor shooting.

I mean it's not like it's screwing us all that much now.

We can "debate" all day regarding this, but in the same way I personally as "fishybashi" or "arielle" in the past was often vilified for my opinion, I can safely say that during the heyday of SVG success I "debated" less, because I didn't feel the need to. SVG knew what he was doing. Perhaps the only two things I remembered debating about was Riddick's role early on and putting Gortat alongside Howard in the starting lineup, but other than that, not much to complain about compared to the Brian Hill days where people on this board argued left and right about so many things.

We now have a coach who knows what he's doing matched with a management that knows what they are doing. I believe Dipo's role on this team will be determined largely by how he performs and our record as a team. I can already tell Skiles thinks outside the box as I admit I would have never considered Evan to have such a huge role to fill as "go to" guy, let alone be an option above Dipo, who coming to this season I thought would be option #1 alongside Harris who I thought would be option #2. Vuc is good, but I always thought of him as option 2-3, never the first. Dipo in the minds of many fans here always thought he would one day reach his potential as the D. Wade of this team. A lot of us are still infatuated with the idea. I believe as the season progresses, the reality of how our players gel and improve will determine their role.

To respond to the above comment, I am of the opinion Dipo CAN be useful as a 6th man spark in the same way Ginobili or J. Crawford played such a role very well. Whether or not this becomes reality is not up to us. It's up to Skiles. I trust HIS decision either way.

Yeah I dont hate it, I'm just always thinking ahead. Because I know Rob is too.The Magic want to win now. And they want major excitement going into next year. So I think we see some shuffling.

Obviously if get lucky and get Durant or a major FA, that would be incredible, but we'd still need to manage the cap and probably dump some contracts. It would be tough to resign Victor in that situation too.

True. If I remember correctly, I believe the Magic was willing to trade Evan to get Millsap. Now Evan is balling. If I choose someone now who we would trade to get, say, Durant, there maybe other players I'd be more willing to trade before Evan, a feeling that is different than what I believed at the start of the season. I guess NO ONE is untouchable when you are talking about a guy like Durant, but still...