Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Official Gamethread: ORL vs. CHI

One more thing on us being 0-3. We have a new coaching staff with a different philosophy. Over the last 3 years, this team has played losing basketball. It's going to take quite a bit of time, maybe a quarter or more of the season, to delete those habits, and learn new ones.

We must give them and Coach Skiles time.

I can assure you they are not doing that either. I can pull up bunch of studies from Neurologists, Psychologists, Theologists, and so on who can verify how important mindset is. One does not need to go to such exaggerations like you did, on what comments the team is making in timeouts, to prove for or against. It's quite simply a goal and one who has a desired goal and the will, will generally succeed. You take a unit of others and combine that mindset, the possibility to achieve such goal is increased. A main goal for this season was to the playoffs correct? Well...

Btw, my last sentence also runs parallel with yours. Shooting/execution needs to continue to be worked on. We don't need to score 130 points per game, but we're aren't going to win too many games with shooting percentages that low.

I didn't understand the point Payton4thewin was trying to make here either. Players or teams getting tight when the game is on the line is a very well established phenomenon, and was quite obviously happening to the Magic these past few games. It can clearly be a factor in lowering shooting percentage when it occurs. To me, that's a big part of mindset.

I didn't understand the point Payton4thewin was trying to make here either. Players or teams getting tight when the game is on the line is a very well established phenomenon, and was quite obviously happening to the Magic these past few games. It can clearly be a factor in lowering shooting percentage when it occurs. To me, that's a big part of mindset.

That's not mindset, that's experience.

That's not mindset, that's experience.

With all due respect, there are plenty of athletes who never reach their full potential because of nerves or other mental factors, regardless of how much experience they have. And conversely, some athletes overachieve due to mental toughness. Having the right mindset, and ability to focus, is a key attribute for success (or lack thereof) in elite athletes. I don't think this is very controversial.

With all due respect, there are plenty of athletes who never reach their full potential because of nerves or other mental factors, regardless of how much experience they have. And conversely, some athletes overachieve due to mental toughness. Having the right mindset, and ability to focus, is a key attribute for success (or lack thereof) in elite athletes. I don't think this is very controversial.

Right but you're talking about totally different things.

Mindset projects itself in physical forms. Guys who show up to camp overweight. Guys who don't improve on weaknesses over the summer. Guys who pout when things don't go their way. That's mindset.

Our guys don't lose games because they want it less. Our guys don't lose games because they didn't put in the work in practice. They lose for three reasons

1. We're playing against more talented teams

2. We have a team that hasn't perfected its craft yet. They can get stops (inconsistently). They can make baskets (inconsistently). They can't do anything at will. That's something only a few players or teams can do.

3. It's early in the season so we're not catching teams falling asleep, injured, or tired.

But it's not effort or mindset. That's a lazy way to discuss basketball.

Right but you're talking about totally different things.

Mindset projects itself in physical forms. Guys who show up to camp overweight. Guys who don't improve on weaknesses over the summer. Guys who pout when things don't go their way. That's mindset.

Our guys don't lose games because they want it less. Our guys don't lose games because they didn't put in the work in practice. They lose for three reasons

1. We're playing against more talented teams

2. We have a team that hasn't perfected its craft yet. They can get stops (inconsistently). They can make baskets (inconsistently). They can't do anything at will. That's something only a few players or teams can do.

3. It's early in the season so we're not catching teams falling asleep, injured, or tired.

But it's not effort or mindset. That's a lazy way to discuss basketball.

I'd add at least one more to your list, which is they tighten up under pressure and then perform worse in a variety of ways, which has cost us at the end of every game so far. It's not that they do it intentionally, I completely agree with you on that. I would call it mental toughness. If that's not what you were talking about them I stand corrected.

I'd add at least one more to your list, which is they tighten up under pressure and then perform worse in a variety of ways, which has cost us at the end of every game so far. It's not that they do it intentionally, I completely agree with you on that. I would call it mental toughness. If that's not what you were talking about them I stand corrected.

Yeah I mean that's fine. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people try to push the whole cliche sports sayings like "the other team wanted it more" which is what I picked up on when he said the team needs to decide not to lose games at home or whatever his exact quote was.

Yeah I mean that's fine. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people try to push the whole cliche sports sayings like "the other team wanted it more" which is what I picked up on when he said the team needs to decide not to lose games at home or whatever his exact quote was.

There are definately nights when 1 team wants it more then another. It's a long season and it's not uncommon at all when a team comes out flat with little energy and gets there butts kicked by another team with fresh legs.

I agree. It's mine too because there's so many other variables that come into play which one shouldn't ignore and just chuck it off as mindset. Shooting percentage, defense, on and on. That's just the simple stuff. You can get down to the finer details but an important variable is indeed mindset. Take for example the common cliche, which the team has recently admitted to as their current mindset, "Playing not to lose instead of playing to win". Again, cliche but has quite a bit of merit. Players mentality are in panic mode which can cause failure to execute simple plays.

However, my original comment about not losing at home is not only just a mindset but ultimately should be a goal on par with competing for the playoffs. The former is just short term as the team takes one home game at a time. Imo, success in doing this will help the longer term goal, making the playoffs, more attainable. I mentioned acquiring a player who has this mindset, but has many other facets to their game, because you are right in your other post, this mindset is something which has attained through experience. Now, maybe someone stands up. I'd personally like to see Dipo do it. Until then, I believe being such an young team, we're gonna need an modern day Horace Grant here.

I'm willing to bet, if we lose some more home games, you'll see Skiles (more than likely) or some other player repeating how we must win at home. It's just an variable that most teams who go to the playoffs, and WIN in the playoffs, have.