Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

The difference between us and the #2 defense is small. 1.1 points per 100 possessions.

San antonio is playing ridiculous defense at 93.9 points per 100 possessions.

The dropoff from San Antonio's defense to our defense is larger than the dropoff from our defense to the #25 ranked defense.

so after last night where we had a defensive rating of 74, our defensive rating for the season has dropped to 100.5 good for 5th in the league

Skiles always makes defenses better, but he's way ahead of schedule with this. Hopefully we can keep it up.

Skiles always makes defenses better, but he's way ahead of schedule with this. Hopefully we can keep it up.

The nice thing is that it has translated to wins, so the buy in should definitely be there for a bunch of guys who were sick of losing.

Won't be able to watch tonight's game since I need some sleep before the flight. I'll soon be there to watch the Magic live for the first time!!

If anyone else is also going to the Cavs game hit me up!

Won't be able to watch tonight's game since I need some sleep before the flight. I'll soon be there to watch the Magic live for the first time!!

If anyone else is also going to the Cavs game hit me up!

Thats awesome.

It was an ugly start to the year for Victor Oladipo, at least offensively. This was supposed to be a breakout season but through the Orlando Magic’s first 14 games he was averaging 12.8 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game, shooting 37.0 percent from the field and 26.4 percent on three-pointers. He had attempted a grand total of 24 free throws in those 14 games. At that point, Scott Skiles made a switch, moving Oladipo to the bench and his offensive has almost completely turned around. In the seven games he’s come off the bench, Oladipo is playing about four fewer minutes per game but is averaging 17.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 4.4 assists per game, shooting 43.3 percent from the field and 24.0 percent on three-pointers. He’s attempted 39 free throws in those seven games.

Consequently, Orlando’s offense has been better by about 4.4 points per 100 possessions since the switch was made.

Moving to the bench requires swallowing some pride but for a struggling player it’s often a nice way to make things easier. Coming off the bench shifts when a player’s minutes occur and which opposing players they match up against. Often this means trying to score against a weaker defense. According to our playing time estimates at Nylon Calculus, Across the entire season, Oladipo’s effective field goal percentage is 52.9 percent against opposing lineups with two or fewer starters. It drops to 38.0 percent against lineups with four or more starters. That negative split — minus 14.8 percentage points — is the fifth-worst in the league this season among players with at least 500 minutes played.

The changes for Oladipo run deeper than just scoring against slightly worse defenders. Moving to the bench has also slightly disentangled his minutes from Elfrid Payton. According to NBAWowy, since leaving the starting lineup, Oladipo has played about 57.8 percent of his minutes with Payton, down from 66.7 percent when he was in the starting lineup. Payton is a primary ball-handler who offers very little in the way of outside shooting and thus changes the way Oladipo plays. When they share the floor together, Oladipo is usually forced off the ball, becoming a spot-up shooter and a cutter. He’s not much of a catch-and-shoot player, making just 25.4 percent of his catch-and-shoot threes this season and his true shooting percentage is 55.7 percent when he’s on the floor without Payton, and just 41.8 percent when they’re on the floor together, again according to NBAWowy.

http://nyloncalculus...ing-his-groove/

so i was just thinking about if i had the ability to change one thing about magic history, what would i do? Like if you could take a time machine back and say "dont do that! do this!"

you dont want to mess anything up too badly so i wouldn't say something like "dont sign grant hill". Maybe McGrady signed here to play with hill. plus there were no other elite free agents changing teams in that offseason.

I think the one thing that would be easy to change and have the biggest impact on the franchise is the 2005 draft. Dont draft Fran Vasquez, Dont draft travis diener. Draft Danny Granger. Draft Monta Ellis.

Then you trade steve francis in the offseason while his value is high. who knows what you end up with that.

I dont know if that changes history too much though.

Any other move in history would screw up a rebuild or have us miss out on a pivotal player.

so i was just thinking about if i had the ability to change one thing about magic history, what would i do? Like if you could take a time machine back and say "dont do that! do this!"

you dont want to mess anything up too badly so i wouldn't say something like "dont sign grant hill". Maybe McGrady signed here to play with hill. plus there were no other elite free agents changing teams in that offseason.

I think the one thing that would be easy to change and have the biggest impact on the franchise is the 2005 draft. Dont draft Fran Vasquez, Dont draft travis diener. Draft Danny Granger. Draft Monta Ellis.

Then you trade steve francis in the offseason while his value is high. who knows what you end up with that.

I dont know if that changes history too much though.

Any other move in history would screw up a rebuild or have us miss out on a pivotal player.

Don't sign Chris Duhon