Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

He hasn't developed any identity for the team. He's doing below average

He's coaching a bunch of 20-24-year-olds who's identity before him was, "losing doesn't matter, in fact it's sorta the plan, so why play hard?" In Dipo, Evan, Aaron, Ersan, Jennings, Smith, Dedmon, and on offense Vuc, the identity is to play hard every night. Those guys bring it just about every night (Vuc on offense, only, but even on D his effort was improved). The problem he's having is that his best offensive weapon doesn't play well on defense, even when his effort is not bad, and his PGs are either playing at 70% or just don't care. Also, the guys who do play hard are inconsistent, laughably raw, or terribly flawed.

It's hard to establish a defensive identity when most of the team is terrible at defense. It's hard to establish an offensive identity when your PG thinks he's Jason Kidd, but is really Brevin Knight.

Despite all that, Skiles has helped this team improve by 4 games with 11 games left. I'm not seeing how that's below average.

He's coaching a bunch of 20-24-year-olds who's identity before him was, "losing doesn't matter, in fact it's sorta the plan, so why play hard?" In Dipo, Evan, Aaron, Ersan, Jennings, Smith, Dedmon, and on offense Vuc, the identity is to play hard every night. Those guys bring it just about every night (Vuc on offense, only, but even on D his effort was improved). The problem he's having is that his best offensive weapon doesn't play well on defense, even when his effort is not bad, and his PGs are either playing at 70% or just don't care. Also, the guys who do play hard are inconsistent, laughably raw, or terribly flawed.

It's hard to establish a defensive identity when most of the team is terrible at defense. It's hard to establish an offensive identity when your PG thinks he's Jason Kidd, but is really Brevin Knight.

Despite all that, Skiles has helped this team improve by 4 games with 11 games left. I'm not seeing how that's below average.

We've won 10 of our last 40 games

Which means at one point this season we won 19 out of 31. You don't think injuries have played a huge part in that record since January started? 11 games without our starting PG (five without any capable PG at all, 6 with Watson and Jennings coming off of injuries). 10 games this year without our starting Center, who is our best offensive player. Like you said, context.

Look, if this team comes out next year and again isn't competing for the playoffs in March, I'll buy into the "FIRE SKILES!!" rhetoric. But right now, Skiles has done a solid job with a **** situation. Stan's Pistons sucked from mid-January through mid March last year, nearly as bad as we have. And they didn't start nearly as well. Basically, Stan had a really great stretch of ball for two weeks in early January, and then a solid final month. The rest of the year his team was really awful. Context.

• Upvote 1

Our team sucks. Skiles is a middle of the pack coach, our team is a bottom feeder.

Our team sucks. Skiles is a middle of the pack coach, our team is a bottom feeder.

When players go to other franchises and play significantly better because their new coaches can understand how to use them properly...

So you're saying that anything less than an 8-game improvement in the first season of a coaches tenure taking over a bad team is a failure on his part? I guess Boston should have fired Stevens after that -16 game first season, and Mike Malone should clearly get the axe this year, right? And Toronto really should have fired Dwane Casey after only improving their horrid team by 1 his first year? And Stan never should have gotten a second year; he only added 3 wins to Detroit his first year. The real keepers are guys like Kidd and Quin Skyder who made big improvements right away for rebuilding teams, right? How are their teams year 2?

No. Its not about numbers. The goal was playoffs or be fighting till the very end. Our playoff hopes basically ended in February.

A win improvement of 6-7-8 whatever games is not enough. It is so clear to see we have not made hardly any strides as a team.

I do not see a real improvement at all. Your entitled to your opinion but i say what i see. I've watched 95% of our games this season from start to finish.

Skiles is poor. He was not Robs choice like everyone with half a brain knows.

When players go to other franchises and play significantly better because their new coaches can understand how to use them properly...

Because 1 player goes to a different franchise and plays marginally better? Harris's numbers have come back down to the average player he is. Let's keep blaming coaches. We did it with Vaughn, now were doing it with Skiles.

For some reason were not allowed to talk bad about Rob on here. But it won't matter because he will be gone if this summer is a failure.

No. Its not about numbers. The goal was playoffs or be fighting till the very end. Our playoff hopes basically ended in February.

A win improvement of 6-7-8 whatever games is not enough. It is so clear to see we have not made hardly any strides as a team.

I do not see a real improvement at all. Your entitled to your opinion but i say what i see. I've watched 95% of our games this season from start to finish.

Skiles is poor. He was not Robs choice like everyone with half a brain knows.

We aren't a good team. I don't know what team you guys watch every night.

Were a flawed roster. We've had abysmal PG play all year. We have a center who can't defend. Our PF is still super raw and learning the game. Our best bench player is Jason Smith. Our shooting guard went through horrid stretches throughout the year. Our rookie this year contributed nothing.

But, yea, let's blame Skiles. Skiles has had success everywhere he's been at turning teams around. Where he's had issues is getting teams over the top. He's an average coach. Not great, not terrible. The makeup of our roster is terrible. Skiles isn't going anywhere this summer and nor should he.

• Upvote 2

Which means at one point this season we won 19 out of 31. You don't think injuries have played a huge part in that record since January started? 11 games without our starting PG (five without any capable PG at all, 6 with Watson and Jennings coming off of injuries). 10 games this year without our starting Center, who is our best offensive player. Like you said, context.

Look, if this team comes out next year and again isn't competing for the playoffs in March, I'll buy into the "FIRE SKILES!!" rhetoric. But right now, Skiles has done a solid job with a **** situation. Stan's Pistons sucked from mid-January through mid March last year, nearly as bad as we have. And they didn't start nearly as well. Basically, Stan had a really great stretch of ball for two weeks in early January, and then a solid final month. The rest of the year his team was really awful. Context.

It's just easy for people to say Fire Skiles. For one, they refuse to speak badly about Rob. Like it's just not allowed on here. Second, it's easier to not admit that certain players didn't turn out, or aren't looking as good as we thought they would. So in their minds they still think "well maybe if we had a different coach X player would be better".

After every loss "Fire Skiles" "Skiles Sucks". It's just comical. Our record proves we aren't a good team. Has Skiles been perfect? No, not at all. But to bi*** & moan on here about him is a cop out. What do you guys think if we had Stan we would be some 50 win team? Do you really think were 20 wins better with a different coach? Stop.

We need different players. Or we need more time for player development. Or a mixture of both.

Were a flawed roster. We've had abysmal PG play all year. We have a center who can't defend. Our PF is still super raw and learning the game. Our best bench player is Jason Smith. Our shooting guard went through horrid stretches throughout the year. Our rookie this year contributed nothing.

But, yea, let's blame Skiles. Skiles has had success everywhere he's been at turning teams around. Where he's had issues is getting teams over the top. He's an average coach. Not great, not terrible. The makeup of our roster is terrible. Skiles isn't going anywhere this summer and nor should he.

Must be nice to be so certain of your opinions.

Must be nice to be so certain of your opinions.

Your damn right I'm certain we aren't a good team. And anyone that thinks otherwise is in loser denial (Billy Madison quote). Please tell me what coach would make this team 20 wins better. You can seriously sit there and tell me that we have a playoff caliber basketball team right now? And it's just the coach holding us back? Come off it.

Edit:

Which of these opinions are wrong about our team?

Can you read? I know we are not a good team. But our team in my opinion is better than this and it does fall on Skiles.

He was not Robs choice. Obviously that is not a complete fact as none of us work for the franchise but every 1 and there dog knows the coach was not Robs hire.

Just because he has had success before does not mean he will here. This hiring smelt iffy from the start.

At the end of the day i could not care less who is coach or gm....all that matters is my team gets back to being a excellent team that is challenging for championships.