Sign in to follow this  
SiMON2g

What is your opinion on Aaron Gordon?

I'm pretty excited with Aaron's improvements thus far... although I would like to see him focus on the defensive end intensely as that's where we are going to need him.

He put up these numbers in SL because really hes the #1 option in that enviroment, while as during the season he will be probably 3rd or 4th fiddle on the court when he takes it. Which will limit his touches and make him work harder to impact the game in ways other than with the ball in his hands.

For me the 3 things I want to see him improve in IN-SEASON is his 3 point shot %, rebounding rate, post defense and help-side defense. Those are the things he can bring within the needs of the team that will help us improve. Anything extra we get from him is a bonus.

Stats in Summer League obviously mean nothing, but his jump shot looks so much smoother now. That's the main reason I think he may surprise a lot of people next season(he also looks like he's put in quite a bit of work in the gym and he has plenty of time to put more work in before the season starts).

Stats in Summer League obviously mean nothing, but his jump shot looks so much smoother now. That's the main reason I think he may surprise a lot of people next season(he also looks like he's put in quite a bit of work in the gym and he has plenty of time to put more work in before the season starts).

Agreed it looks more improved and he looks to have confidence in it from all over the floor.

It's interesting... I think the fate of Nik Vucevic ties directly in with the development of Aaron Gordon.

Vuc is like Jahlil Okafor in that he is sort of a player from a bygone era where his strengths don't really match up with the direction the NBA is moving and his deficiencies could become more glaring with that evolution. Golden State, though they got caught off-guard a few games, showed in the playoffs how to punish that old style of play (though it should be stated GS is pretty much the ultimate form of the 5-out, positionless basketball the league is seemingly trending toward, not the typical team).

I have questioned whether a team with a player like Vuc as a centerpiece can viably compete in that NBA. It has been discussed some around here, mostly in talks about trading Nik. As we have said, a big problem with Nik is that he requires an entirely unique player next to him for the team to adequately match up against smaller, faster front-courts. Paul Millsap was not that player, but was still a good fit and would have vaulted the team into playoff contention in the immediate. In Aaron Gordon we find a lot of the potential attributes of that unique player.

While he certainly needs to add strength, he has already shown that he can guard basically any type of player that lines up across from him. Hard to tell from last year what his defensive awareness re: positioning and help, but he seems to have good basketball IQ on that end of the floor and will have a better scheme to work in this year. Rim protection is still a question. On offense there are flashes of ball-handling, shooting, passing, rebounding, and we all know the explosive athleticism he has. Down the road I would like to see him add some post work.

Of all the player comparisons we have used of his potential, one I have always liked was Amare Stoudamire. Prime Amare was basically a giant SF, and D'Antoni's scheme complemented his skills perfectly. I wish Skiles had brought in a D'Antoni disciple as one of the assistants, because Gordon would fit like a glove in that role, albeit with a smaller focus at this point, with Payton as Steve Nash in the sort-of reverse PNR they employed. (It's also why I wanted Rambis on staff.)

If Gordon can become that feature player at the 4 on both ends of the court, Vuc becomes a lot more viable long-term fit, and they would complement each other quite well. Admittedly, it is a lot to ask, and unlikely that AG ever reaches that point, but it is fun to speculate.

Just some thoughts

You say Vuc is a player from a bygone era. In what way?

If we trade Vuc id be pissed. Dudrs onr of the better Cs is the league, and fits as part of our core of EP, vic, mario, and hopefully AG, and possibly harris. Unless we get an immediate upgrade in return, which wont happen, there's no reason to trade him.

If we trade Vuc id be pissed. Dudrs onr of the better Cs is the league, and fits as part of our core of EP, vic, mario, and hopefully AG, and possibly harris. Unless we get an immediate upgrade in return, which wont happen, there's no reason to trade him.

We won't be trading Vuc anytime soon don't you worry.

I seriously cannot believe how much of a steal we got his contract on, if we didn't extend him we'd had have to offer a max to match. In that case I think we would've lost one of Vuc or Harris, or cap flexibility like we have now.

AG answered questions via Twitter the other day. He's so goofy, but a good kid.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/aaron-gordons-twitter-takeover

This fool said Magic was his favorite all-time player but leaves him off his starting five list lol.

My all-time starting five would be:

Olajuwon, Duncan, Bird, Jordan, and Magic

This fool said Magic was his favorite all-time player but leaves him off his starting five list lol.

Penny Hardaway is my favorite player but I wouldn't have him in my all time starting five list.

Penny Hardaway is my favorite player but I wouldn't have him in my all time starting five list.

Fair point but Magic is arguably a top 3 PG of all-time and if anyone argues that doesn't know basketball. I think the point I was trying to make is that if your favorite player is also top at their position they'd be on your list.

But to agree with you, Clyde Drexler is my favorite player of all-time but he's not in my top 5 starting list either

You're probably too young to remember him, but Oscar Robertson has to be on the list.

We won't be trading Vuc anytime soon don't you worry.

I seriously cannot believe how much of a steal we got his contract on, if we didn't extend him we'd had have to offer a max to match. In that case I think we would've lost one of Vuc or Harris, or cap flexibility like we have now.

Yup, best contract in the NBA besides Curry.