Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

A look at Orlando history

As magic fans we're kinda spoiled. Our "terrible" ownership had it's in the playoffs 14 out of the 26 years we've existed and in the conference finals 4 times in the last 21 seasons.

Golden state hasn't made the conference finals in 40 years.

Atlanta hasn't made a conference finals in 45 years.

The clippers have never made a conference finals

Washington hasn't made a conference finals in 35 years.

That's a generation of disappointment.

This exactly

First of all I wouldn't give props making it to the playoffs in the Leastern Conference. Some of those years were in the Tmac years and this conference sucked big time.

This ownership with their deep deep pockets let Shaquille walk because they tried their Scamway pitch by low balling him. Sure maybe Shaquille wanted to leave but if the first offer would have been too good to pass up, he would have signed. Let's blame the o-sentinel for that.

The Miami heat in the 90s got smart and hired a basketball guy to run the franchise. All of a sudden everything turned around for them and they have rebuilt their team 3 times since equalling to 3 NBA championships. We have a non basketball guy running this team.

Since the Warriors got their new owner, things have turned around.

Just like you guys did your Dwight vs Vuc poll and all of you voted for Vuc, stop wearing your "I hate Dwight goggles" with the "I love our ownership" lens and look at it for real.

Ownership goals:1. Make $$$2. Make playoffs to make more $$$3. Make the NBA finals to make even more $$$4. Win a championship (not necessary)

4 superstar players have left the Magic on bad terms. Who's fault is that?

We need an owner that will win at all and any cost.

First of all I wouldn't give props making it to the playoffs in the Leastern Conference. Some of those years were in the Tmac years and this conference sucked big time.

This ownership with their deep deep pockets let Shaquille walk because they tried their Scamway pitch by low balling him. Sure maybe Shaquille wanted to leave but if the first offer would have been too good to pass up, he would have signed. Let's blame the o-sentinel for that.

The Miami heat in the 90s got smart and hired a basketball guy to run the franchise. All of a sudden everything turned around for them and they have rebuilt their team 3 times since equalling to 3 NBA championships. We have a non basketball guy running this team.

Since the Warriors got their new owner, things have turned around.

Just like you guys did your Dwight vs Vuc poll and all of you voted for Vuc, stop wearing your "I hate Dwight goggles" with the "I love our ownership" lens and look at it for real.

Ownership goals:1. Make $$$2. Make playoffs to make more $$$3. Make the NBA finals to make even more $$$4. Win a championship (not necessary)

4 superstar players have left the Magic on bad terms. Who's fault is that?

We need an owner that will win at all and any cost.

You have a pretty cynical view of the world

It's obvious that we would take almost ANY starting caliber center over Dwight for the next 5 years. Dwight has dealt with significant injuries over the past three years and has a game built on athleticism. When big men get to this level their decline is sharp.

We've seen this with Patrick Ewing, Shawn Kemp, hakeem, etc.

Dwight might be a season and a half from being Brendan Haywood.

1429455648[/url]' post='1004162']

You have a pretty cynical view of the world

It's obvious that we would take almost ANY starting caliber center over Dwight for the next 5 years. Dwight has dealt with significant injuries over the past three years and has a game built on athleticism. When big men get to this level their decline is sharp.

We've seen this with Patrick Ewing, Shawn Kemp, hakeem, etc.

Dwight might be a season and a half from being Brendan Haywood.

You're probably right about Dwight. My point is he as well as t'mac and Shaquille should have never left. I blame ownership. Dwight should be on the decline here.

On a different note, I feel real bad for OKC fans. James Harden..... because they didn't want to spend the money. Dynasty.

BTW, I wouldn't be saying those things if Mark Cuban was the owner. He's always trying to win. Devos, not so much.

You're probably right about Dwight. My point is he as well as t'mac and Shaquille should have never left. I blame ownership. Dwight should be on the decline here.

On a different note, I feel real bad for OKC fans. James Harden..... because they didn't want to spend the money. Dynasty.

BTW, I wouldn't be saying those things if Mark Cuban was the owner. He's always trying to win. Devos, not so much.

You can blame whoever you want, it still doesn't make it their fault.

Great article.

Still blows me away that the FO didn't fully recognize Shaq's mindset.

This line from Gabriel (he's talking about the contract offered to Shaq): "There was a legitimate point of time, still early in Shaquille’s career, where he hadn’t really won anything yet. No one was doubting his talent, but it was reasonable to argue what was fair market value."

He STILL doesn't get it! Two decades later....Ugh.

Also I don't think Magic fans complain about our record over the history, it's the pain of having one of the greatest players ever, and two guys who were top 3 in the league for a period of time, and having no rings to show for it. And who knows when we ever will.....

When it came time to pay Shaq in '96 Gabriel needed to look forward and not backward WRT Shaq's resume. What a shame. In '96 he was worth whatever it took.