Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

if you expected more from the last two years then that's your fault.

No I knew the plan the past 2yrs,but I expected more this year, this preseason. I expected our team to come out and be ready to play and it's just not there. Leaving Ryan open, no excuse. Putting Ben on Peirce, no excuse. Not boxing out or crashing the boards when you got beat on the boards the night before, no excuse.

sorry I don't like it, and I don't expect us to be any better than the years before.

Since I have been saying the samething last year, no I don't need a larger sample size. Because it's the same game plan JV has been using for 3yrs.

Year one I understood, year 2 I didn't like it but rode with it, year 3 should have something different on the floor, more running, more set plays, better board responsibilities....something. But yet all we get it is "ummmm".

We've gone from 15th in pace last year to 8th in pace this year

No I knew the plan the past 2yrs,but I expected more this year, this preseason. I expected our team to come out and be ready to play and it's just not there. Leaving Ryan open, no excuse. Putting Ben on Peirce, no excuse. Not boxing out or crashing the boards when you got beat on the boards the night before, no excuse.

sorry I don't like it, and I don't expect us to be any better than the years before.

its possible that our best player is injured. We cut offensive rebounds from 16 in game one to 6 in game two.

We put out a three guard lineup for offense as a gamble. It almost paid off.

You're making stuff up as an excuse to be pissed off. Newsflash! We're going to lose another 50 games if we're lucky. Better get used to it.

Since I have been saying the samething last year, no I don't need a larger sample size. Because it's the same game plan JV has been using for 3yrs.

Year one I understood, year 2 I didn't like it but rode with it, year 3 should have something different on the floor, more running, more set plays, better board responsibilities....something. But yet all we get it is "ummmm".

I mean, you could just ignore my point like you just did.

I'll repeat -- you DO need a larger sample size because the last 2 years were tank years -- therefore, it isnt fair to judge his coaching based on that.

I really don't understand how everyone is upset that we lost a new orleans pelicans home opener to what could be a playoff team in the west (and definitely in the east) and that we lost a close game to a playoff contender in the east. We have no all stars and they have an superstar PG, a hall of famer, and two veteran centers that have been playing for years.

Newsflash guys: we aren't winning any championships. Are goal right now is to get the 8th seed, if we can even accomplish it. And that would be more than a successful season. But if we don't make the playoffs (as expected), you can't be mad. We can only be mad if we havent improved by the YEARS END - and until that happens, you best reserve your expectations.

I mean, you could just ignore my point like you just did.

I'll repeat -- you DO need a larger sample size because the last 2 years were tank years -- therefore, it isnt fair to judge his coaching based on that.

I really don't understand how everyone is upset that we lost a new orleans pelicans home opener to what could be a playoff team in the west (and definitely in the east) and that we lost a close game to a playoff contender in the east. We have no all stars and they have an superstar PG, a hall of famer, and two veteran centers that have been playing for years.

Newsflash guys: we aren't winning any championships. Are goal right now is to get the 8th seed, if we can even accomplish it. And that would be more than a successful season. But if we don't make the playoffs (as expected), you can't be mad. We can only be mad if we havent improved by the YEARS END - and until that happens, you best reserve your expectations.

I agree that there needs to be more games before you can rule out Jacque. Yes, the Pelicans and Wizards are teams that I expect to be a tough game to win but the Pelicans game was well played until the mid/end of the 3rd quarter. Our problem and this has been a problem for quite sometime is maintaining a level of momentum coming into the 3rd quarter. The Wizards game was a gamble with the three guard offense but match-ups were a head scratcher. There is no way in hell I want Ben Gordon guarding a clutch Paul Pierce late in the 4th after making a run to nearly tie the game. That is where I believe Harkless would've been an excellent fill in and him not being played for "offensive" purposes is beyond my comprehension, seeing that the game prior to the Wizards I was able to witness Fournier struggle and Gordon get swatted multiple times on a jumpshot as well as shoot shots that I believe Kobe would question. Jacque is going to need to refrain from his stubbornness with his rotations along with playing our youngins'.

We didn't downgrade our veterans to turn around and play them big minutes. If that was the plan, why not just keep Jameer and Afflalo? Gotta go all in with the young'ins and let them take their lumps along the way. We're gonna lose a ton either way, but I can live with losing with the young guys because there will be a payoff down the road.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for giving Vaughn the benefit of the doubt as both Gordon and Fournier can handle the ball and are kind of water wings for Payton so he doesn't drown if the opponent decides to press him.

Willie Green is completely different. Makes no sense.

The point was Willie Green is terrible and still managed to get minutes both games. He should not be in our teams mix or being taking minutes away from any of our young players like Harkless. The only way i can see Green getting mins was if either Ridnour or Payton got injured he should be on the inactive list until that time. There was a reason he was available on waivers.

We didn't downgrade our veterans to turn around and play them big minutes. If that was the plan, why not just keep Jameer and Afflalo? Gotta go all in with the young'ins and let them take their lumps along the way. We're gonna lose a ton either way, but I can live with losing with the young guys because there will be a payoff down the road.

For me it's not about minutes, I feel like everyone besides Moe and Drew has gotten a decent amount of burn so far. I think the downgrade of the vets is more to do with role and mindset.

By trading the top scorer and letting the starting PG walk you challenge and empower the guys currently in the locker room to step up and be bigger parts of the offense. On top of that the mindset of Jameer, having played here his whole career, and Luke Ridnour just arriving are very different. Jameer probably felt like he should still be starting, I don't think Ridnour was under any allusion that he'd be the long term option at PG (he might get a few starts this season certainly when Payton has really poor stretches or is injured but still...). Same is true for Afflalo, the guy wanted to be, and was, the number 1 option, as much as Ben Gordon likes to shoot I can imagine he's perfectly aware that his role is a shooter/offensive spark off the bench.

And just as a comment to the overall negativity in this thread towards the team and/or JV: personally I think it's too early to judge this team considering we have 7 new players, 2 of whom are rookies and 1 of whom has been injured all preseason AND we're missing our most dynamic player.

I was at the game last night and was shocked we didn't run many pick and pop plays for Frye or screens. We should have been able to pull Nene out of the paint or Gortat when we went small. Would've allowed for some lanes for our slashers. Does Vaughn know how to best use his players strengths or put them in position to succeed?

For me it's not about minutes, I feel like everyone besides Moe and Drew has gotten a decent amount of burn so far. I think the downgrade of the vets is more to do with role and mindset.

By trading the top scorer and letting the starting PG walk you challenge and empower the guys currently in the locker room to step up and be bigger parts of the offense. On top of that the mindset of Jameer, having played here his whole career, and Luke Ridnour just arriving are very different. Jameer probably felt like he should still be starting, I don't think Ridnour was under any allusion that he'd be the long term option at PG (he might get a few starts this season certainly when Payton has really poor stretches or is injured but still...). Same is true for Afflalo, the guy wanted to be, and was, the number 1 option, as much as Ben Gordon likes to shoot I can imagine he's perfectly aware that his role is a shooter/offensive spark off the bench.

And just as a comment to the overall negativity in this thread towards the team and/or JV: personally I think it's too early to judge this team considering we have 7 new players, 2 of whom are rookies and 1 of whom has been injured all preseason AND we're missing our most dynamic player.

I started this thread to discuss Jacque Vaughn's growth as this is truly his first year he has expectations to turn the corner with this roster. Hennigan will be watching for improvement from our players and coach. He wouldn't have spend money on veterans like Frye, Gordon, and Ridnour if the plan was to tank, our youngsters could've handled that with a plan for the future. Hennigan believes he has given JV enough to be successful. Hopefully we will see that growth from Vaughn and can discuss it later in the year. For now JV is leaving much to be questioned and his best answer has been.....Ummm.

At the very least we should have seen Harkless substituted in for fournier when Ben Gordon was at the line shooting 3 free throws at that time we were only down by 2. We see plenty of coaches go to an offensive/ defensive approach like this late in a game. We didn't and fournier got torched on the next play. Does Vaughn know this was allowed?