Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Coaches being fired too soon and media pressure is the exact reasons why you don't see team chemistry last for more than 7 years similar to mostly small and major market teams. You have to keep building on the foundation. We can't keep removing the base.

We have to remember that this is someone's job we're talking about. Knowing that our jobs aren't prone to direct scrutiny in the news to the extent in which they mention your name and your face; this is a different type of pressure that most people don't face. Now how does that affect his job performance? Wouldn't say it would be much more difficult seeing the noose swinging from the oak just ready for you in advance?

So calm down. I know there's coaches available to replace him but yes.....this should not be priority.. We need stability.

This is the same pressure any professional athlete or coach would face, if he can't handle it we should move on. I doubt this is the problem though as I just don't see him as an adequate basketball mind. His rotations, adjustments, and game plans are downright comical and I don't feel we are talented enough to win despite being out coached most nights. His post game press conferences explaining his ummm rational behind the umm so called decisions and umm stuff make me wonder if he truly has a plan in place! You preach team defense and let your best available perimeter defender (Harkless) collect DNPCD's? Wonder how that rational sits with the team?

I actually have this weird feeling that Billy Donovan would be the perfect coach for this team. I know he backed out on the team before. I get that it is unlikely to happen. And I know that some people don't like Billy Donovan. But hear me out:

The ownership clearly liked him before; so if they were convinced he's committed, I see no reason they wouldn't like him again. He might be more willing to leave Florida, now, since the high of the back-to-back championships is worn down a bit.

As to why he's perfect for this team: Watch last year's Gators. Scrappy, low-ego guys who played hard, even if they weren't the most talented team; and they were the best team in the nation who basically just couldn't beat one team. They lost three games, all to Final Four teams . . . without a single NBA draft pick in the starting lineup. Now look at the back-to-back championship team. Sure, it had three NBA players on the roster, two of whom were very good NBA players. But the success of the team was for the same reasons those guys have had success in the League: scrappy, low-ego guys who played hard every night. One of the odd things about Billy Donovan is that he seems to have more success when he has less outside shooters. One really good one and a few guys who can make people play somewhat honest seems best for him. Even when he went to the championship game with Mike Miller, the hallmark of that team was that they shared the ball a ton and played great defense. His less successful years have been when he had players who tried to do too much by themselves (the black spot on humanity that is Matt Walsh, the disappointment that was Kenny Boynton, the only minimal talent on the team that was Nick Calathes).

Look at the team in Orlando. What do we want from these guys? What does Hennigan seem to be building? He's bringing in a bunch of scrappy, low-ego guys who are known for work ethic and playing hard every night. They're not great shooters, but they have all shown that they are the types of players who sacrifice for the team. Billy Donovan basically does one thing REALLY well. He gets his guys to buy into and develop as a team. I have a feeling he would love Aaron Gordon, a potential PF who can pass and handle the ball. Billy would have Dipo and Elf hounding guys on the outside, and doing it without that recklessness that other "players' coach' guys tend to see. Billy Donovan creates teams that control the tempo of games. The players in Orlando are perfect for being developed into that type of team.

I'm not saying I think this will happen; because i REALLY don't. I'm just saying I'd love to see it.

Noooo

I don't believe that the jury is out quite yet on Jacque due to the lack of players he's had at the start of this season. Frye is back and is going to have to get comfortable, Dipo is gone for a few more weeks and for some odd reason Harkless has yet to play. I think once everyone is able to play together for a bit is when we can truly make a judgement call on Jacque. This year isn't a wash like the last two so I'm interested to see how Vaughn handles this. His stubbornness with his rotations is something that I hope changes.

Noooo

I could not agree more! No! smile_beatcomp.gif

Really, the Billy Donavan ship has sailed. Now you make valid points as to why his name would be in the conversation but, that's about it! If you are going to replace a relatively inexperienced Head Coach in JV, it is more of the same despite the stellar college record at Florida.

By the way, I am a Florida guy, I would have loved nothing more but............the ship has sailed my friend!

Magic's injuries have prompted Vaughn to seek offense and sit Harkless by Josh Robbins

....But Jacque Vaughn is confronting a dilemma. Under even the best of circumstances, the Magic will have difficulty scoring points this season. There simply isn’t enough outside shooting, especially not with rookies Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon playing major minutes.

If Payton and Gordon play simultaneously or even if Luke Ridnour and Gordon play simultaneously, Vaughn needs to balance them with a scorer who can offer long-range shooting — guys such as Evan Fournier and Ben Gordon.

I think Harkless will play more of a role as the season continues, especially once Frye gains some traction and Oladipo returns from a facial fracture. “It’s a very long year, and Maurice knows that I still believe in his abilities. As we continue to get healthy and we get guys on the floor, we’ll use everybody.”

Link to article: http://ht.ly/DBmPL

I'm not sure I understand this sudden interest in Harkless playing. Last year he wasn't that great. If we can use him to create matchup problems - then fine - but people shouldn't make him out to be some difference maker when he isn't.

Link to article: http://ht.ly/DBmPL

I'm not sure I understand this sudden interest in Harkless playing. Last year he wasn't that great. If we can use him to create matchup problems - then fine - but people shouldn't make him out to be some difference maker when he isn't.

He is one of our best perimeter defenders and could've guarded Ryan Anderson in game 1 or Paul Pierce in game 2. He is leaps and bounds better than Willie Green who managed to actually get in both games. How can O'Quinn go from starting game 1 to being deactivated in game 2 in favor of Nicholson? All the talk over the summer is how Harkless has improved his perimeter game and has more confidence heading in to this year and how Nicholson wants to get back to getting more opportunities down low since he struggled last year playing on the perimeter. How is this going to effect Moe? I'm almost certain he could've filled Willie Greens' and Nicholson's role last night. I think JV is a great guy and teacher but being a head coach is above his head and I'm surprised Henny hasn't noticed this.

He is one of our best perimeter defenders and could've guarded Ryan Anderson in game 1 or Paul Pierce in game 2. He is leaps and bounds better than Willie Green who managed to actually get in both games. How can O'Quinn go from starting game 1 to being deactivated in game 2 in favor of Nicholson? All the talk over the summer is how Harkless has improved his perimeter game and has more confidence heading in to this year. How is his confidence gonna be affected? Nicholson wants to get back to getting more opportunities down low since he struggled last year playing on the perimeter. I'm almost certain Harkless could've filled Willie Greens' and Nicholson's role last night. I think JV is a great guy and teacher but being a head coach is above his head.

I'm all for giving Vaughn the benefit of the doubt as both Gordon and Fournier can handle the ball and are kind of water wings for Payton so he doesn't drown if the opponent decides to press him.

Willie Green is completely different. Makes no sense.

I'm all for giving Vaughn the benefit of the doubt as both Gordon and Fournier can handle the ball and are kind of water wings for Payton so he doesn't drown if the opponent decides to press him.

Willie Green is completely different. Makes no sense.

Jacques benefit of the doubt has been going for 3yrs... doubt is setting in my friend. I looked at the team stats for the past 3yrs and it was little improvement.

Vaughns team hasn't ranked better than 25th on offense. His team has been beaten on the boards every year. There is alot of team stats trending downard, since the 2012-13 season.

I look at this team hoping to see growth, and right now it's not there.

• Upvote 1

Don't you think we should we should use more than 2 games as a sample size? I mean, let's face it. The last 2 years were tank years. This year we aren't trying to fall to the lottery.

To evaluate growth, we would need to see what our status is at the end of the year Although I am not a fan of JV, it isnt fair to say this statement at this moment in time.

The lack of progress is definitely going to fall on someone's shoulders at some point and when it starts coming down to Henny or JV's job you know Henny will make the right choice. JV probably has this year to prove himself, but let's just say he's off to a very rough start.

Jacques benefit of the doubt has been going for 3yrs... doubt is setting in my friend. I looked at the team stats for the past 3yrs and it was little improvement.

Vaughns team hasn't ranked better than 25th on offense. His team has been beaten on the boards every year. There is alot of team stats trending downard, since the 2012-13 season.

if you expected more from the last two years then that's your fault.

Don't you think we should we should use more than 2 games as a sample size? I mean, let's face it. The last 2 years were tank years. This year we aren't trying to fall to the lottery.

To evaluate growth, we would need to see what our status is at the end of the year Although I am not a fan of JV, it isnt fair to say this statement at this moment in time.

Since I have been saying the samething last year, no I don't need a larger sample size. Because it's the same game plan JV has been using for 3yrs.

Year one I understood, year 2 I didn't like it but rode with it, year 3 should have something different on the floor, more running, more set plays, better board responsibilities....something. But yet all we get it is "ummmm".