Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Why are fans of the team beating him to the punch on this?

Or, he watches the same games and made the same assessments.

It's the reason why many "fans" will never ever be head coaches in the NBA -- because they don't know a single damn thing about coaching and managing a team but they love to think they actually do.

Or, he watches the same games and made the same assessments.

It's the reason why many "fans" will never ever be head coaches in the NBA -- because they don't know a single damn thing about coaching and managing a team but they love to think they actually do.

I was being Sarcastic. Maybe <Sarcasm> was in order. I'm not one to pretend I can be a gm or coach just like I'm sure JV couldn't do my job. I am questioning whether or not JV can handle his job as I feel he doesn't make quick enough in game adjustments. Many of us have known just by watching the games that Elfrid needs to be starting and Frye is a huge liability on defense for the production he's been giving.

Some "fans" also don't have an independent thought and believe everything the coach or organization says, it doesn't mean we don't have a valid point when we disagree. My advice to those fans would be to stop reading the forums as they get easily offended by opposition to the team or coach. Every fan has a right to question decisions a coach makes or to blindly support everything a team does so don't get so stressed. I can feel your blood pressure raising whenever you reply to any of my posts.

I'm not the only one on these forums that has already come to the conclusion that JV isn't the answer, we're not sure as "fans" if Henny himself hasn't already come to that conclusion. If these fans would be so kind as to step off their soapbox and take their blood pressure medication. Thanks

Every fan has a right to question decisions a coach makes or to blindly support everything a team does so don't get so stressed. I can feel your blood pressure raising whenever you reply to any of my posts.

Then you aren't actually understanding my posts. I post logical reasons for why I take certain positions.

A person who blindly believes in what the organization does cannot back his posts up with facts. You can use "blind support" as a reason we disagree only because you likely aren't understanding the opposing argument.

I'm not the only one on these forums that has already come to the conclusion that JV isn't the answer, we're not sure as "fans" if Henny himself hasn't already come to that conclusion. If these fans would be so kind as to step off their soapbox and take their blood pressure medication. Thanks

But see, this is the problem. Just because Henny isn't acting on knee jerk reactions, you all assume he is blind as a bat when comes to what this team looks like. Newsflash: Henny is very calculated in his decisions (if you haven't already noticed). Just because he hasn't fired JV midway through the season doesn't mean that JV isn't in the hot-seat. He has to take many things into account -- who can come, who's available, that in a do a better job right now? Are the players emotionally attached to their coach? Is the fault of JV or are the players not giving it their all? Are injuries playing a role?

Or, it could be Henny has realized that most of the teams who fire their coach midway through the season sputter into a disaster. People don't like to think they are easily dispensable -- especially our players.

You want basketball to be as simple as 1 + 1 = 2 and it isn't. This is why you don't run a basketball organization and he does. When someone comes along who can do a better job than JV I am sure they will reassess the situation. But you can't name me anyone for certain, at this point, that can take this team over midway through the season and not destroy the team chemistry we are weaving.

Everything that I have seen Henny do, from the way he handled the D12 fiasco, to trading Afflalo, to getting tobias harris in return for JJ Redick has shown me that the man knows what he is doing. He's not perfect and no one should support him blindly, but he hasn't shown a single reason for us to think any different of his decision making capabilities, especially when it comes to deciding who coaches of the team.

Just look at GSW. Mark Jackson and the head of the organization were at odds the whole time they were working together (for years). They let Jackson finish the season and when Kerr became available, who's a much better coach than Jackson, they grabbed him. And they did it without putting distrust into the players and it's paying off.

Trust me, I wouldn't let anything like like Basketball ever affect my health in that manner.

Then you aren't actually understanding my posts. I post logical reasons for why I take certain positions.

A person who blindly believes in what the organization does cannot back his posts up with facts. You can use "blind support" as a reason we disagree only because you likely aren't understanding the opposing argument.

But see, this is the problem. Just because Henny isn't acting on knee jerk reactions, you all assume he is blind as a bat when comes to what this team looks like. Newsflash: Henny is very calculated in his decisions (if you haven't already noticed). Just because he hasn't fired JV midway through the season doesn't mean that JV isn't in the hot-seat. He has to take many things into account -- who can come, who's available, that in a do a better job right now? Are the players emotionally attached to their coach? Is the fault of JV or are the players not giving it their all? Are injuries playing a role?

Or, it could be Henny has realized that most of the teams who fire their coach midway through the season sputter into a disaster. People don't like to think they are easily dispensable -- especially our players.

You want basketball to be as simple as 1 + 1 = 2 and it isn't. This is why you don't run a basketball organization and he does. When someone comes along who can do a better job than JV I am sure they will reassess the situation. But you can't name me anyone for certain, at this point, that can take this team over midway through the season and not destroy the team chemistry we are weaving.

Everything that I have seen Henny do, from the way he handled the D12 fiasco, to trading Afflalo, to getting tobias harris in return for JJ Redick has shown me that the man knows what he is doing. He's not perfect and no one should support him blindly, but he hasn't shown a single reason for us to think any different of his decision making capabilities, especially when it comes to deciding who coaches of the team.

Just look at GSW. Mark Jackson and the head of the organization were at odds the whole time they were working together (for years). They let Jackson finish the season and when Kerr became available, who's a much better coach than Jackson, they grabbed him. And they did it without putting distrust into the players and it's paying off.

Trust me, I wouldn't let anything like like Basketball ever affect my health in that manner.

I Agree with your thoughts on Henny and I don't believe JV should be fired midseason. All I meant was, as "fans" we really don't know how Henny feels about JV so far this season.

From what I've witnessed this season JV is not even close to being an average NBA coach, and would be lucky to ever get a 2nd chance to coach on this level after we move on.

With tonight's game, I'm more convinced that this team is just not being well prepared by JV. No fire. No passion. We seem to be regressing. No defense now.

Not to mention his horrible lineups. I'm at the game so I'm not sure if Luke Ridnour is unavailable, but at one point we had a lineup of Frye, Harris, Gordon, Fournier, and Marble........Really? Talk about no ball movement.

With tonight's game, I'm more convinced that this team is just not being well prepared by JV. No fire. No passion. We seem to be regressing. No defense now.

Henny is not going to do anything until the end of the year. We are stuck watching another pathetic season and will be left wondering what next year has in store. If JV comes back next year then my faith in Henny is gone completely.

• Upvote 1

Henny is not going to do anything until the end of the year. We are stuck watching another pathetic season and will be left wondering what next year has in store. If JV comes back next year then my faith in Henny is gone completely.

I'm convinced that if we dont make the 8th seed or even come close, that JV will be let go.

• Upvote 1

I agree and trust Henny will make the right move. Henny hired him to tank and as soon as he feels we have the pieces to make a run, JV is gone.

ElfridMVP

Perhaps I misunderstood you and I'm fairly certain you misunderstood me. My comment was made tongue in cheek as to why JV was so slow to make lineup changes and adjustments. I mean if a fan can see what's going on out on the court shouldn't he see the same things and make adjustments instead of struggling for weeks doing the same thing and expecting different results!

You mentioned a type of fan that feels they have a pretty good knowledge of the game and feels they could do a better job in the role of gm and/or coach. I was simply referring to the fans on the opposite side of the spectrum. These fans actually annoy me more as they can't even come up with an independent thought.

I have not questioned Henny's decision making about the JV situation. Yes he is a horrible coach and I haven't questioned why Henny has left him as coach up to this point. The only problem I've had with Henny was the Frye signing and hindsight is 20/20. I was even excited after the Frye signing listening to Henny talk about how Frye would create space for our youngsters. Now watching his defense I cant help but to laugh as he's creating space alright, between him and the guy he's attempting to guard (I use the word attempting very loosely), not sure how this will ever work paired with Nik.

I've never stated I could run a basketball organization, or implied I had a problem with the way Henny has handled his business. I'm not sure where this is coming from? However, let's not pretend that everyone that's run a basketball organization was worthy of the title Gm. Catman would've done a better job than John Weisbrod.

(No offense Catman :P/>/>/>/>) This does not mean I support JV as our coach, the guy is clueless, and I challenge anyone who says otherwise to present an argument.

Agreed

No argument here

Glad to hear

An interim coach HAS TO be better than what we have going now. I'm all for keeping the team chemistry going and acknowledging in most circumstances, it is far worse to replace a coach mid-season, but at some point, we have to look and see that almost EVERY player has regressed in some way this season.

We are a trainwreck - even when we do win, but never like "Wow. I was proud of that win." We haven't strung together back-to-back wins in weeks.

Is there someone who could do better taking over mid-season? I do not know. What I do know is that we've gotten worse - as a team and as individuals. This cannot be acceptable.