Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official 2014-2015 Strapped-In Season Thread

When/where did he say this? That's a pretty big deal.

It was stated a few months ago by a few folks like Steve Kyler, and the OS reporter. I heard it locally too.

He is saying this either because he actually will do it, or more likely to prepare teams to lock money up if they do try and sign him. That is the risk for a team like the Lakers or Knicks. There is a pretty large window where that money is locked up and the Magic can leverage that situation to dissuade teams from overpaying.

Also, there are 25 free agents arguably better than T12 if you go by the lists out there. So I am starting to think the Magic could luck out and beat the market, and end up bringing this guy back for round 9 or 10 a year.

Also, there are 25 free agents arguably better than T12 if you go by the lists out there. So I am starting to think the Magic could luck out and beat the market, and end up bringing this guy back for round 9 or 10 a year.

I would agree with this, but not call it luck. Even considering potential hikes in the cap in a couple years I never saw his value reach 10 a year. He plays the most replaceable position in the league and doesn't do anything particularly well there. I just want to know why we want to keep him at this point, Gordon seems to have everything Harris has and then some. With the exception of Mudiay and Russell there aren't any prospects in our draft range that aren't front court players. BPA rules, I know. I still feel Harris is gone to NYK.

Every once in a while I go back and look at what could have been.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/sports/pro-basketball-on-eve-of-draft-the-trading-commences.html

We could reasonably have had this team:

Dwight-Marion-Grant hill-Joe Johnson-jameer

Bench deshawn Stevenson, hedo, garrity, and battie. Plus whoever we selected with the 7th overall pick. That might have been luol deng or iguodala but might have been Luke Jackson or Sebastian Telfair based on team needs.

Or maybe we push the pick back to 2005 and pick jarrett jack

I would agree with this, but not call it luck. Even considering potential hikes in the cap in a couple years I never saw his value reach 10 a year. He plays the most replaceable position in the league and doesn't do anything particularly well there. I just want to know why we want to keep him at this point, Gordon seems to have everything Harris has and then some. With the exception of Mudiay and Russell there aren't any prospects in our draft range that aren't front court players. BPA rules, I know. I still feel Harris is gone to NYK.

Well think of it like this - 10mm a year is more like 7-8 when the cap goes up, which is how Rob is thinking. He is a long term guy and knows what seems a little high now will be a bargain later. That is why the Vuc deal is one of the best extensions in Magic history., if not the best.

To have a guy like Tobias on the team is fantastic for depth. He is a very good player that could transform a bench.

Example, if we get Russel by a stroke of sweet luck and he delivers as an elite combo guard, you have a 3 guard rotation of Elfrid, him and Victor . That's excellent depth at guard. You would have Harris Gordon and Fournier rotating on the wing and then currently Vuc, Frye and Dedmon in the FC.

So as you can see, when you look at the rotations more like a coaching staff does, even if the Magic brought back Tobias, they would STILL need Gordon to improve his game to bolster our wing depth and probably look to make a trade to get more talent at PF. But keeping Tobias if the price is right gives the Magic flexibility to compete now by having Gordon play more PF and cross match on D. It also keeps roster continuity, which is severely underrated.

Best case - we draft Russell. Our 2015 rotation with barely any moves besides the draft and keeping T12 :

Elf/Victor/Russell Tobias/Fournie/Gordon Gordon/Vuc/Dedmon/Frye

You are looking at a team close to perennial playoff contention that still has cap space. So now you can go out in Free agency and address some holes.

All of that aside, I am just putting out a cap friendly scenario reason of why the Magic would want to keep Tobias here. I could craft a whole other reason to do a S&T or even the benefits of letting him walk.

The short story here, is that I believe the Magic are in a very favorable situation to turn the corner quickly this summer.

The exception to Harris being gone is if Rob somehow manages to swing a trade of our pick plus Gordon for the chance to move up and get Towns or Okafor. I would gladly resign Harris at that point then try to find a star SF in FA and move Harris to the bench.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/sports/pro-basketball-on-eve-of-draft-the-trading-commences.html

Bench deshawn Stevenson, hedo, garrity, and battie. Plus whoever we selected with the 7th overall pick. That might have been luol deng or iguodala but might have been Luke Jackson or Sebastian Telfair based on team needs.

Looking at the league, I think this team wins a title in 2006. Of course we probably kill Steve Nash's career in the process

http://www.nytimes.c...-commences.html

You deserve a milkshake in the face. That's not right to do to us.

The exception to Harris being gone is if Rob somehow manages to swing a trade of our pick plus Gordon for the chance to move up and get Towns or Okafor. I would gladly resign Harris at that point then try to find a star SF in FA and move Harris to the bench.

I don't see any of that happening. Trading Gordon plus our pick for towns is not an insane idea, but I don't think the Magic would want to give-up on Gordon that fast. He is going to be really good.

Getting a star SF in FA is going to be tough. If we resign Harris we would also then have to offer the max to a free agent SF to even sniff them coming here.

Hate to be dream destroyer but it's too many long shots.

It's important to remember how mcgrady screwed us

Agree. It sucked so hard. We got shafted in that trade due to zero leverage. I mean, Marion and Joe Johnson around Dwight and Jameer as rooks?

I hate when stars dictate where they will go. It's just a terrible way to sabotage a team.

Agree. It sucked so hard. We got shafted in that trade due to zero leverage. I mean, Marion and Joe Johnson around Dwight and Jameer as rooks?

I hate when stars dictate where they will go. It's just a terrible way to sabotage a team.

Look at that heat championship roster in 2006. Now consider what our roster would look like after those trades and tell me we don't win it all