Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

New Zach Lowe article

The Safe Bets in Orlando: Maurice Harkless and Andrew Nicholson

The Magic will add some fat to their cap number if they extend Nikola Vucevic, but they can still keep both of these guys without even bothering to open a spreadsheet.

Harkless especially, even though his $2.89 million option is about $500,000 higher than Nicholson’s. Harkless is still a baby, barely 21, and he showed enough progress last season that the Magic still see him as a potential long-term piece. He started last season as a nice cutter who looked terrified to dribble or shoot when he got the ball on the perimeter. Nobody bothered defending him. By the end of the season, he was canning open 3s — he hit 38 percent for the year — and attacking confidently off the bounce when the ball swung his way.

Read more http://grantland.com/the-triangle/third-year-prospects-orlando-magic-austin-rivers-new-orleans-pelicans-maurice-harkless-andrew-nicholson/

In his media day and/or training camp (i forget which) interviews Channing Frye talked a bit about the possibility of him playing the 5 and Drew playing the 4 (when Vuc is out of the game), allowing Drew to get back down on the block where he's clearly a very talented player, what's more he brought this up out of the blue and not in direct response to a question about Nicholson.

I actually think it's possible that Drew bounces back from his sophomore slump and establishes a role on this team.

I'd be very uneasy about a lineup with Frye and Nicholson in the front court. Offensively it could be nice but you're gonna get killed inside against even competent forwards posting up. Nicholson's weird gait makes it impossible for him to run the floor so athletic opponents can also capitalize. If he can shoot the three and spell frye (or even replace him long-term) as a floor stretching 4 that makes the most sense to me.

I think he also raises some great points in this article

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-windows-houston-rockets-james-harden-dwight-howard/

Talks about how it's tough to keep your core together with the new shorter deals and that the NBA might've made the rich richer.

In the world of capitalism......

Although I find his article well written, I am puzzled as to why he decided not to include the Tobias Harris extension and what effect that will have on the cap space.

The question has been answered by Henny and his group, that they are in discussions with Nick and Tobias Reps collectively.

wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif