CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Nylon Calculus is one of the most highly respected blogs for NBA analytics. If you read the stats properly you will see that Anthony Davis played more minutes then Frye and Davis who played the same minutes at the same position.

Anthony Davis guarded multiple positions and as a result it is harder to calculate his %. He is an alien and therefore an outlier for this type of statistic.

What actually is common sense is to know how Anthony Davis plays his game before looking at those numbers.

You also mentioned that you don't believe Frye is a better rim defender than Ed Davis. So what you're saying is the stats that you referenced are misleading, or flawed. Is that correct? Okay, back to the draft...

Nylon Calculus is one of the most highly respected blogs for NBA analytics. If you read the stats properly you will see that Anthony Davis played more minutes then Frye and Davis who played the same minutes at the same position.

Anthony Davis guarded multiple positions and as a result it is harder to calculate his %. He is an alien and therefore an outlier for this type of statistic.

What actually is common sense is to know how Anthony Davis plays his game before looking at those numbers.

John Hollinger was so respected that the Grizzlies hired him. That doesn't make PER any more troublesome when comparing high usage vs low usage players.

So you're saying the stats that you referenced are misleading, or flawed. Is that correct?Okay, back to the draft...

No YOU are saying that. If you actually read the text in the links I provided from the site those outliers are explained, but I guess that was a little too much work for you. Again, if you can provide a better resource, Im all ears.

John Hollinger was so respected that the Grizzlies hired him. That doesn't make PER any more troublesome when comparing high usage vs low usage players.

Thats because when you look at stats there is no stat that tells you everything, even shooting % doesnt tell you why a player's shots are dropping or not. They may not be good at picking their spots..shooting in the rhythm of the offense..etc.

You need to know the player you are looking at and use that in tandem with the numbers. PER is a lot more mainstream as a stat now then it was a few years back.

I don't believe Davis is a worse rim protector than Frye BTW . He's just not a huge upgrade. I do believe there are fewer guys good at this skill than is put out there and the term rim protector is being used too liberally right now. That was my point when I started talking about WCS as well.

So you disagree with the very same stats you referenced to make the point we're currently debating. Correct?

So you disagree with the very same stats you referenced to make the point we're currently debating. Correct?

Once again you didn't read what I said clearly and are attempting to make a point that is not relevant.

NO I DO NOT.

Again..my god - Ed Davis does not present such an increase in value as rim protector that we should get rid of a big that shoots 39% on a team with poor shooting just to bring him in.

I clearly stated that already and the numbers support my opinion.

I wish they posted the raw figures for those stats. It'd be nice to see how specific matchups influenced the figures.

It would take forever to compile but it would be amazing.

I foresee 3-5 years from now enough data from the SportsVU to where that can happen and to where you could construct teams for certain styles and get them rated based on all the compiled stats.

Do people on here think I'm consistently some condescending jerk all of the time? I mean, I certainly do that sometimes, but when I do I lay it on pretty thick so there's no confusion in my meaning.

This probably deserves its own thread.smile_shardhappy.png

We have 3 weeks until the draft.

3 more freaking weeks of this. If there is a better, more intense Magic draft thread out there, I want to see it.

• Upvote 1

It would take forever to compile but it would be amazing.

I foresee 3-5 years from now enough data from the SportsVU to where that can happen and to where you could construct teams for certain styles and get them rated based on all the compiled stats.

I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. They already log matchup data. I think it has more to do with not giving out too much data

I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. They already log matchup data. I think it has more to do with not giving out too much data

Yes I meant for public consumption. The Magic have access to stats that we wish we could view.